Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

The Church of Atheism

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby Liv » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:27 pm

church of atheism.jpg

So we were watching "The Amazing Race" (does that make me a Republican?) and one of the factoids narrated while the teams were in Saint Petersburg was about Saint Issac's Cathedral. Apparently when the country went communist, they turned the church into a museum of atheism.

Under the Soviet government, the building was stripped of religious trappings, then turned into the Museum of Scientific Atheism. The dove sculpture was removed, and replaced by a Foucault pendulum. cite

So, yes the Church of Atheism did exist in some funny way. Gorby (I love the name Gorby... sounds like a frog) turned it back into a religious church.

I find this so intriguing. I mean, why don't we have an atheism museum to combat this creationism museum stuff here in America? Why does what makes sense not make money?

Stalin's enthusiasm for Scientific Atheism led to the regime treating faith and belief in God as a form of mental illness. Anyone who was openly Christian had their path to promotion at work blocked, and many professions closed to them.

Thousands of people who stubbornly persisted in the Christian faith were treated as delusional, and found themselves carted off to special hospitals for treatment and re-education. Many of these people ended up in the gulags, a system of concentration camps, many in northern Siberia, where millions of people met their deaths.

Scientific Atheism also promoted the idea that bringing up your kids in the Christian tradition was a form of child abuse. Inevitably, many children of militant Christians were taken into care by the State, to be brought up in vast orphanages
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Sanjuro » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Liv wrote:
I find this so intriguing. I mean, why don't we have an atheism museum to combat this creationism museum stuff here in America?

We do, they are called libraries and Schools.
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby A Person » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:47 pm

Where did you get the second quote from?

Here?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norfolkodyssey/376765112/

I take issue with a lot of the claims.
A Person

Postby Liv » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:48 pm

Yes, my bad... missed the cite.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:51 am

The assertion that the state took millions of children from their parents and put them in orphanages for being taught Christianity seems fabricated.

I'm sure that children of dissidents were placed in orphanages and that some of those dissidents were Christians.

Anyway, I don't wish to defend Stalin or Soviet totalitarianism. It was an oppressive regime for virtually everyone.
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:28 am

Liv wrote:
church of atheism.jpg

So we were watching "The Amazing Race" (does that make me a Republican?) and one of the factoids narrated while the teams were in Saint Petersburg was about Saint Issac's Cathedral. Apparently when the country went communist, they turned the church into a museum of atheism.

Under the Soviet government, the building was stripped of religious trappings, then turned into the Museum of Scientific Atheism. The dove sculpture was removed, and replaced by a Foucault pendulum. cite

That's vandalism, you know. I wouldn't set it up as an example to emulate should a real museum of atheism ever be built. We already have plenty of museums of science. A museum of the struggle against mythology would be a good idea, but there's no need to get Stalinist and build one on the ruins of a historic landmark.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:20 am

I don't know, after watching The Wild & Wonderful Whites of West Virginia, I'm thinking a little bit of totalitarian might be good for the Whites....(sarcasm BHL, sarcasm.....) or atleast a little less Jesus.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Jamy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:23 pm

I find this so intriguing. I mean, why don't we have an atheism museum to combat this creationism museum stuff here in America? Why does what makes sense not make money?

Eh...they both seem a trifle bit of a waste of time to me.

Besides what would you put in an Atheist museum? A statue of nothing? A big sign that says "We don't believe in anything"? Or maybe a looping video tape of Esquelito telling Ignacio "I don't know why you always have to be judging me because I only believe in Science." and then getting an involuntary baptism. :lol:
Jamy

Return to WWJD?