Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Pope worried about competing with the Internet

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby A Person » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:56 pm

The Pope issues several assertions ripe for derision.

Pope Benedict XVI on Saturday warned that the Internet does not make people more humane but instead risks increasing a "sense of solitude and disorientation" among "numbed" young people.

"A large number of young people... establish forms of communication that to do not increase humaneness but instead risk increasing a sense of solitude and disorientation," Benedict told a Vatican conference on culture.

Unlike - oh say, being physically raped by their preist?

He also said that young people were being "numbed" by the Internet, adding that the technology was creating an "educational emergency -- a challenge that we can and must respond to with creative intelligence."

It's an emergency! People are being educated about how the Catholic Church enabled and covered for the rapists on their payroll

Benedict last month said the growing use of new technologies should set off "an alarm bell" as it was blurring the boundary between truth and illusion.

And we all know that's the sole perogative of the Church.
A Person

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:08 pm

A Person wrote:The Pope issues several assertions ripe for derision.

Pope Benedict XVI on Saturday warned that the Internet does not make people more humane but instead risks increasing a "sense of solitude and disorientation" among "numbed" young people.

"A large number of young people... establish forms of communication that to do not increase humaneness but instead risk increasing a sense of solitude and disorientation," Benedict told a Vatican conference on culture.

Unlike - oh say, being physically raped by their preist?

He also said that young people were being "numbed" by the Internet, adding that the technology was creating an "educational emergency -- a challenge that we can and must respond to with creative intelligence."

It's an emergency! People are being educated about how the Catholic Church enabled and covered for the rapists on their payroll

Benedict last month said the growing use of new technologies should set off "an alarm bell" as it was blurring the boundary between truth and illusion.

And we all know that's the sole perogative of the Church.

The internet along with testing has decreased personal interaction slills in older chilkdren and younger adults. I see this daily.
BecauseHeLives

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Since the Queen is now on Facebook, it only seems right that the Pope join her. Who wouldn't want a chance to "poke" the Pope?

:mrgreen:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby A Person » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:14 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:The internet along with testing has decreased personal interaction slills in older chilkdren and younger adults. I see this daily.

"internet along with testing" - WTF? What testing?

And WTF are "interaction slills"? Or "chilkdren" for that matter?

Are you trying to improve your case by demonstrating how the Internet is preventing you from engaging in meaningful discussions, responding intelligibly to straightforward questions and destroying your ability to spell?
A Person

Postby A Person » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:15 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:Who wouldn't want a chance to "poke" the Pope?

What with?
A Person

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:37 pm

A Person wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:The internet along with testing has decreased personal interaction slills in older chilkdren and younger adults. I see this daily.

"internet along with testing" - WTF? What testing?

And WTF are "interaction slills"? Or "chilkdren" for that matter?

Are you trying to improve your case by demonstrating how the Internet is preventing you from engaging in meaningful discussions, responding intelligibly to straightforward questions and destroying your ability to spell?

Ok, my keyboard batteries need replacing. :lol:
BecauseHeLives

Postby A Person » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Slop, your yokes are slilling me

But seriously - what did you mean by "internet along with testing"?
A Person

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:43 pm

A Person wrote:Slop, your yokes are slilling me

But seriously - what did you mean by "internet along with testing"?

texting

I think testing is a very serious problem with younger people is that it seriously inhibits their interactive social skills.
BecauseHeLives

Postby Liv » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:57 pm

B.S. that's propaganda. The "box", the isolation, is a result of western ideals (mostly American) that have come about primary due to capitalism not the bloody internet. France has internet, but you'll go and spend 5 hours eating with your friends at a cafe where-as Americans go-eat-and-go-home....

Has nothing to do with the internet.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:03 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:I think testing (texting) is a very serious problem with younger people is that it seriously inhibits their interactive social skills.

I haven't seen that. And I expect it's been said about every advance in communication since Ug complained about this new fangled talking stuff instead of getting serious hair time.

Ug-do.gif
Ug-do.gif (10.64 KiB) Viewed 1263 times

It was certainly said about the telephone when I was young.

Texting is just a different way of interacting socially
A Person

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:34 pm

I have seen it.
BecauseHeLives

Postby A Person » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:50 pm

Are you sure it wasn't the hours spent in Sunday School while the pastor blurs the boundary between truth and illusion that caused their social ineptitude?
A Person

Postby Jamy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:58 am

Yes, the catholic church is rife with issues regarding sexual improprieties with children...I totally agree with that, but that doesn't make what he had to say any less true. I've always maintained that the internet, in general, is no place for children. I've seen enough disturbing crap online and know how easy it is for predators to find and prey on kids online to allow any unsupervised activity on the internet.
Jamy

Postby A Person » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:45 pm

Jamy wrote: I've always maintained that the internet, in general, is no place for children.

I've always maintained that the church, in general, is no place for children. I've seen enough disturbing crap and know how easy it is for predators to find and prey on kids in churches to allow any unsupervised activity in a church.

My point is not that the Internet is perfectly safe, but that's the Pope's criticisms - especially the one about "blurring the boundary between truth and illusion" - are both false and hypocritical coming from someone whose profession is just that
A Person

Postby Jamy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:44 pm

A Person wrote:
Jamy wrote: I've always maintained that the internet, in general, is no place for children.

I've always maintained that the church, in general, is no place for children. I've seen enough disturbing crap and know how easy it is for predators to find and prey on kids in churches to allow any unsupervised activity in a church.

My point is not that the Internet is perfectly safe, but that's the Pope's criticisms - especially the one about "blurring the boundary between truth and illusion" - are both false and hypocritical coming from someone whose profession is just that

Well I agreed with you that he was a hypocrite. But hypocrite or not, he had a point. Maybe if parents paid more attention to what their kids were doing in their churches AND on the internet, there would be fewer abuses for anyone to have to comment on.
Jamy

Return to WWJD?