Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Religious Christmas Songs in Schools.

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby Liv » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:06 pm

After cringing at my daughter and son's Christmas choral concert this morning when they sang "Amen" and:

Jesus our brother, kind and good
Was humbly born in a stable rude
And the friendly beasts around Him stood,
Jesus our brother, kind and good.

I find it a bit uncomfortable to find the practice of including religious songs in public schools filled with Jews, Muslims, Atheists, and other faiths aimed towards the Christian faith. But apparently it's legal:

Courts have consistently ruled that including religious songs in school events is constitutional, as long as the program is educational and not devotional or proselytizing. But any state mandate that sacred music must be a part of holiday programs is likely to run afoul of the establishment-clause prohibition on government endorsement of religion.

The First Amendment solution is stunningly simple: Schools should plan holiday programs that are educational in purpose and balanced in content. Nothing in the First Amendment prohibits public schools from educating students about music, religious and secular, as part of a comprehensive music program that exposes students to a variety of traditions and cultures. cite

Even if legal, it leads to a less inclusive atmosphere if other faith's winter-celebration's songs aren't included as well. I wonder how my fellow Jewish followers feel when confronted with this?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby shannon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:45 am

I'm certain they are using these songs and rhymes for education purposes right? How many 3rd graders do you know that wouldn't be eager for some rum filled figgy pudding?

We Wish You a Merry Christmas"

In “We Wish You a Merry Christmas,” carolers downright demand figgy pudding, so if their proposal was acquiesced to, what exactly would they get?

In this sense, pudding is not what most Americans would imagine: the thick, creamy, often gelatinous, no chew variety. Instead, the song references pudding in the traditional English or British school of thought.

Across the pond, the word "pudding" is used as a generic term for soufflé, starchy or custard-like dishes that are either boiled or steamed. They can be sweet or savory.

Figgy pudding, also known as Christmas or plum pudding, typically contains dried figs, spices, breadcrumbs, eggs, brandy or other boozy flavorings, like cognac or rum. The classic Christmas pudding is also made with chopped suet, but many modern recipes opt out of its inclusion. Think of it as a moister fruitcake.

“Here We Come A-Wassailing”
While the song is better known as “Here We Go A-Caroling” to some, wassail is a spiked, mulled hot punch that is usually made with cider or wine, cinnamon, cloves, sugar and apples.

According to Joseph J. Walsh’s Were They Wise Men Or Kings?: The Book of Christmas Questions, the Middle Age toast “Waes hail” or “to your health” would be employed when handing someone a drink. The proper response was “drinc hail” or “drink to your health.” Thus, wassail can also simply mean to merrymake or raise one’s glass.

The Nutcracker's "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy"
While sugarplum trees actually do exist and grow in warm climates like their native Australia, the famous dancing visions of sugar plums referenced in Clement Clarke Moore's "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" were actually sugar-coated, plum-shaped sweetmeat or candies. The confections are balls of chopped dried fruits, nuts, honey and spices - typically cardamom, anise and fennel seeds - that have been rolled in sugar.
shannon
Fire up the Quattro

Postby Liv » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:57 pm

shannon wrote:I'm certain they are using these songs and rhymes for education purposes right? How many 3rd graders do you know that wouldn't be eager for some rum filled figgy pudding?

Whatever... I saw you cringing too. This still boggles my mind that you could practically say anything religious related as long as you put it to song.

(proof everyone loves a musical?)
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Sanjuro » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:45 pm

You know, this brings up a very good point. I suppose this could have been a voluntary participation thing? If thats the case, I would feel even worse about it because that would breed an environment of exclusion and possibly ridicule for anyone who wasn't allowed to participate with their friends. Out of all the holiday AND Christmas songs to choose from, why did they chose the religious themed ones unless it was to make some silly point or rub peoples noses in it?
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby Liv » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:57 pm

While I'm certain it was coincidence, oddly enough the religious themed songs were chosen for the 1st and 3rd grades. My kids, happen to be in those grade. We happen to be the ones who contested the pre-lunch prayer they were leading prior to R's meal.

Quite frankly, I'd prefer if there was a legal option... that this wouldn't occur, but it appears there's an overwhelming precedence to the contrary on musical performance, so fair is fair... I suppose there's not much I can do.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Liv » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:50 pm

So this year, I was in exams, but Shannon remarked that the performance appeared more secular.

I think that's a good thing.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Might be a sign of slight progress. But I bet some folks were grousing about the "war on Christmas" under their breaths...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:37 pm

I said "Happy Holidays" to someone the other day, and got the death stare.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:03 pm

Liv wrote:I said "Happy Holidays" to someone the other day, and got the death stare.

In reply, I would then have said, "OK, have it YOUR way! HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!"

Idiots...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby A Person » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:45 pm

Have a great Yuletide?
A Person

Return to WWJD?