Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

The Burqa War - A right to wear what God tells you to.

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby Liv » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:25 pm

burka war.jpg

Of any country most like America I'd say it's France. Conservative in so many ways- yet with European health care, and transportation, it's more like an evolved America many decades from now. That's why I can see this happening here in America. A ban on religious attire. While our mostly Christian religious sects would definitively approve of a ban on burqas aka "walking coffins", I suspect the opposite would be true if we banned the crosses around their very necks. (or the schools of fish on the back of their gas guzzling SUVs) So it's what going in France that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. How can one group say to another you can't do that? You can't wear your burqa, but I'll reinforce my beliefs and wear my "WWJD World Tour 1992" T-Shirt.

The women were arrested along with several other people protesting in front of Notre Dame cathedral in Paris against the new law. cite

We spoke about Belgium passing a similar law before, though theirs is with slightly less consequence.

All garments which cover the face were officially banned from first thing this morning, with offenders facing fines of 150 euros (£133). Men who force their wives or daughters to wear burkas will face up to a year in prison, and fines of up to 25,000 pounds.

Of course the argument of the law is it denies a women her humanity, her right as a human being. I believe you could make the same argument about dresses, high-heels, or any other fashionable clothing Paris models wear. However if we're going to dissect religion, then I suspect they're correct, but I don't understand the hypocrisy of it, nor do I understand how its worth the concern of retaliation. One guy in the U.S. burns a Quran and people die, and now today the law in France that will fine and punish not only burqa wearers but their husband oppressors- and it results in two arrests. Where does this all lead?

However, I still think the law is good. It does what's right despite being hypocritical, and dangerous... and that takes a great deal of courage. If it works it could fundamentally change womens rights, and religious oppression. If it doesn't it could start WWIII.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to WWJD?