Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Can you be a Christian and not believe in God?

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby Liv » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:32 pm

beale street memphis are you a christian child.jpg

The last 4 days involved driving 24 hours straight through to Dallas on I-40, and then back again on I-20. The last time I drove that maddening was when I was 19. A song that played over and over again during that trip and it immediately popped back in my head when I made a stop on Beale Street in Memphis at about 11pm at night Monday. The song is of course "Walking in Memphis" by Marc Cohn. The lyrics:

Now Muriel plays piano
Every Friday at the Hollywood
And they brought me down to see her
And they asked me if I would --
Do a little number
And I sang with all my might
And she said --
"Tell me are you a Christian child?"
And I said "Ma'am I am tonight"

As I got back in the car, the song made me think. How many people simply say "I'm Christian" but really don't live up to any fundamental standards of their faith, nor attend church? How many out right "lie" because the opprotunity it brings by calling themselves Christian? Then I wonder, if you're living your life doing good, and upholding typical "Christian" values, but yet don't believe in God- why wouldn't you be a Christian in some respect anyways. I mean, it's a label after all. Hell, even from person to person, the definition of Christianity changes- there is no one correct answer, so whose to say "I see the whole Bible as a collection of stories" God as a metaphor, and I don't believe in a physical God IS Christianity???
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Liv wrote:As I got back in the car, the song made me think. How many people simply say "I'm Christian" but really don't live up to any fundamental standards of their faith, nor attend church?

Those are two different things. I know many who say they're Christian, yet hate their neighbor, judge other people, spread misery and deceit. They attend church, sometimes even LEAD at church. You see such people on TV all the time, as well. Then there are people who are very devout, yet don't attend church at all for whatever reason... why would you exclude them from being Christian?
How many out right "lie" because the opprotunity it brings by calling themselves Christian? Then I wonder, if you're living your life doing good, and upholding typical "Christian" values, but yet don't believe in God- why wouldn't you be a Christian in some respect anyways.

I know a few folks who think I am qualified for heaven because of the way I behave and participate in church activities with my wife. I steadfastly refuse to accept such ideas, myself. If going to heaven means leaving this world behind, I wouldn't be interested in going anyway. Particularly if it entailed meeting and spennding eternity in the presence of someone as obviously psychotic and evil as the Christian god.
I mean, it's a label after all. Hell, even from person to person, the definition of Christianity changes- there is no one correct answer, so whose to say "I see the whole Bible as a collection of stories" God as a metaphor, and I don't believe in a physical God IS Christianity???

Sounds like Spong to me...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:24 pm

Dude sounds very cool.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Liv wrote:Dude sounds very cool.

You should read his book "Why Christianity Must Change or Die." Very interesting read. Really cool thing is, he's a local boy! :mrgreen:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:37 pm

I'll add it to the queue... I'm really wanting to read Elizabeth Gilbert's next book next.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to WWJD?