Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Where is Heaven?

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby Liv » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:53 pm

250px-Utopia.jpg
A Place that is nowhere: Utopia.
250px-Utopia.jpg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 689 times

On Earth as it is in Heaven

I thought I'd take a moment out to write about something kicking around in my head for some time. Heaven. Where is it? Christians believe it's some parallel like universe your arrive in after you die, like the magical world of Harry Potter, it exists just beyond a human's perception. Personally I think it's all a metaphor. I think paradise is found, when you make the life you have, the world we live in now, the physical world, what you want it to be. I wrote about the concept in "Sheep Under The Sea", though I must admit I sort of worried how my ex-missionary friends would handle this little tid-bit:

Our own salvation is not found through asking, but by doing. To persist in God's absence by loving each other, and finding our own path to “paradise”, our own happiness- right here, right now, in this life.

Of course they know what they're getting with me, they know my beliefs, and we accept each other for our differences- which truthfully isn't all that different. And that's sort of the point. Isn't heaven, like the stars in the sky, relative to the observer? That star I see in the sky is no longer there, it exploded millions of years ago, but yet I still see it. Yet if I can use this perspective, this awakening to what could be, isn't it worth asking why do so many Christians wait till its too late (in my opinion) to do anything about it? Wouldn't that be what God wanted any ways? Carpe Diem, seize the day and consider the possibility that the tools to change the world into a heaven is before us, if we stop sitting in pews, and start standing up to demand our place in the history in this place called home, earth, a twinkling little star in the nights sky.

About the photo about.
    In 1516 was published in Latin from the publisher Thierry Martens of Louvain in Flanders. The strange book, whose author Thomas More constructed the title from two Greek root meaning "place which is nowhere", but also "place of happiness", was a success immediately.

The genesis of the island is symbolic Utopus wanted to make the area difficult to reach into a place reserved, the traveler demanding some effort to get there.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:58 pm

Christians believed heaven was up on the other side of the sky (which according to St. Peter, will be burned away on Judgment Day) -- until science showed them that the sky isn't a "firmament."

NOW, they talk of parallel dimensions and other un-falsifiable ideas. It's just a shell game. No point in trying to figure it all out. It can't be done.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Return to WWJD?