Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Eve Lived and Died before Adam

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby Liv » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:13 pm

This is a bit out of my pay grade so maybe someone else can help explain it but....

Eve and Adam were seperated in time by 50,000 years. Apparently Eve, like most women today, was more evolved then the men that would some day sprout into existence.

Let's start with the biggest misconception, and move on from there. When it comes to Adam and Eve, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that I can unequivocally state that they never got divorced. The bad news is that they never married. That's understandable, of course, since Eve died more than 50,000 years before Adam was born.

Sort of throws a whole wrench in the woman came from Adam's rib plot line. Perhaps it was the other way around?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:22 pm

Liv wrote:Apparently Eve, like most women today, was more evolved then the men that would some day sprout into existence.

Arrggghh - NO!

MC Eve was not 'more evolved' than YC Adam. And men didn't sprout into existence some time later, they evolved at the simultaneously with women.

As the article explains,we inherit mitochondrial DNA only from mothers and Y chromosomes only from our fathers. It's possible to calculate the approximate date of the last common ancestor for any gene, but doing it for mitochondria and Y chromosomes gives us the LCA for females and for males - which, counter-intuitively, are separated by tens of thousands of years.

Eve wasn't alone - she was a member of a community, as was Adam. The Biblical concept of a couple living alone and their decendents spreading and filling the world is as wrong as the biblical concept os the flat Earth. Populations evolve and all of us could trace ancestry back to MOST members of Eve's community - but all of us could trace our ancestry back to Eve.
A Person

Postby Liv » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:18 pm

Ok, that explains it a bit better... I think...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to WWJD?