Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

North Carolinian Republican Hate the Constitution

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby A Person » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:34 pm

WRAL.COM
wrote:
Proposal would allow state religion in North Carolina

By Laura Leslie

Raleigh, N.C. — A bill filed by Republican lawmakers would allow North Carolina to declare an official religion, in violation of the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Bill of Rights, and seeks to nullify any federal ruling against Christian prayer by public bodies statewide.
House Bill 494, a resolution filed by Republican Rowan County Reps. Harry Warren and Carl Ford, would refuse to acknowledge the force of any judicial ruling on prayer in North Carolina – or indeed on any Constitutional topic:

"The Constitution of the United States does not grant the federal government and does not grant the federal courts the power to determine what is or is not constitutional; therefore, by virtue of the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, the power to determine constitutionality and the proper interpretation and proper application of the Constitution is reserved to the states and to the people," the bill states.

"Each state in the union is sovereign and may independently determine how that state may make laws respecting an establishment of religion," it states.

The Tenth Amendment argument, also known as "nullification," has been tried unsuccessfully by states for more than a century to defy everything from the Emancipation Proclamation of the Civil War to President Obama's health care reforms to gun control.

Oh dear North Carolina lost the Civil War, so they want to pretend the Constitution doesn't exist.
A Person

Postby Liv » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Oh A.P, it's gone to hell-in-a-handbag here. I don't suspect it will be long before they show up at my door, and I disappear in the middle of the night.

They've cut health-care, education, and are banning gays and the godless.

It's gone ape-shit here.

It's absolute hell.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:03 pm

A Person wrote:Oh dear North Carolina lost the Civil War, so they want to pretend the Constitution doesn't exist.

Heh -- yeah, I saw that story. The Republitards love to complain about how crazy the Dems are when they have unchecked power. These idiots have been on one HELL of a roll since getting sworn in only a couple of months ago. They've increased taxes on the poor, cut funding for education (threatening to close at least one campus of the state university system), started up a bill to make our local school board partisan (which of course will probably be rescinded as soon as democrats get control) ... and now this.

All so they can pray to JESUS unmolested before local government board meetings.

Idiots.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 pm

As you know... I've always wanted out of here, but I'm really regretting coming home now.

I'm pretty sure there is a God, because karma cannot hate me this much. I really doubt there's anywhere I could have ended up that I'd hate worse in the States.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:02 am

That's pretty conceited - God is buggering up North Carolina just to spite you?

Although it is just the sort of thing he did do in the Old Testament.

Republicans 16:49 Behold, this was the sin of thy sister North Carolina, her residents were prideful, arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.

And we all know what happens next.

When you walk away - don't look back (the view's not very good)
A Person

Postby Liv » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:33 am

150425_10151488477082850_1599021219_n.jpg

Well I go into advising next week and will know how much longer I have.

I suspect it's about 2 more semesters.

My goal is to do my masters in Europe.... and I can't freaking wait.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:33 am

Well... looks like the state house leadership has caught on that this resolution might lead to some trouble. He's pulling it out of the pipeline. At least, it's out of the running for now, while the media are paying attention to what they do up there in Raleigh.

I think it's rather funny to read that the kooks that put the bill into the system are now claiming that they thought it was totally innocent and wold only allow the county commissioners in Rowan County to say their Christian prayers before their meetings. Here's the actual resolution that they put in.

SECTION 1. The North Carolina General Assembly asserts that the Constitution of the United States of America does not prohibit states or their subsidiaries from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

SECTION 2. The North Carolina General Assembly does not recognize federal court rulings which prohibit and otherwise regulate the State of North Carolina, its public schools, or any political subdivisions of the State from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

IMO, if they didn't understand the ramifications of THOSE statements, they have no business working in Raleigh.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Now they're on to making it illegal to cohabitate while in college.

They got wind of siblings and married couples wanting to dorm together in Chapel Hill, so they're kaboshing that one with a law.

This state is making my head spin.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to WWJD?