Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Christians and Divorce.

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby jb » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:18 am

Christianity is one of the leading religions in the world yet, offhand; I think we lead in divorce rate. If you were to ask why we Christians are at the top in divorce…. I’m sure you would hear several “Christians” blaming it on TV and Hollywood. But, the truth is, we must not really believe what we say. What God has joined together, let no man break apart.

I spent this past weekend at a marriage retreat with my wife learning how to stay together. No, my marriage is not struggling. (I don’t think) I’m not sure about others but this marriage thing is something that takes a lot of work. Christian or not…when the family is torn apart society suffers. (my opinion) Anyway, I came home with a renewed love for my wife and I’ve committed myself to do what Love does.

jb
jb

Postby BecauseHeLives » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:58 am

Congratulations! Those retreats are really wonderful from what I hear. My wife and I are supposed to go to one next weekend and I'm looking forward to it.
BecauseHeLives

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:18 pm

jb wrote:Christianity is one of the leading religions in the world yet, offhand; I think we lead in divorce rate. If you were to ask why we Christians are at the top in divorce…. I’m sure you would hear several “Christians” blaming it on TV and Hollywood. But, the truth is, we must not really believe what we say. What God has joined together, let no man break apart.

Even Christians are human, and living life sometimes means that what was true at one time changes. There's no reason to make two people who no longer want to be together to live a lie just so the rest of their fellow church members can feel their views are true.

Get a life, and let others live theirs.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby BecauseHeLives » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:34 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:
jb wrote:Christianity is one of the leading religions in the world yet, offhand; I think we lead in divorce rate. If you were to ask why we Christians are at the top in divorce…. I’m sure you would hear several “Christians” blaming it on TV and Hollywood. But, the truth is, we must not really believe what we say. What God has joined together, let no man break apart.

Even Christians are human, and living life sometimes means that what was true at one time changes. There's no reason to make two people who no longer want to be together to live a lie just so the rest of their fellow church members can feel their views are true.

Get a life, and let others live theirs.

I think you misunderstood the OP. A marriage retreat is designed more to strengthen a marriage rather than repair it. I find it hard to believe that you could find something critical about two people wanting to "invest" in their marriage relationship.
BecauseHeLives

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:36 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:I think you misunderstood the OP. A marriage retreat is designed more to strengthen a marriage rather than repair it. I find it hard to believe that you could find something critical about two people wanting to "invest" in their marriage relationship.

Yeah, I agree that "marriage retreats" have a good function. Every couple can benefit from a weekend or so of "tuning up" the relationship, assuming they do so with competent advice.

But to have the attitude that a marriage must be maintained intact at all costs, including past the point where either partner cares any more -- that's not sensible.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby A Person » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:58 pm

A failing marriage must be upsetting enough without the added guilt that you are also committing a sin. Not that that actually seems to prevent divorce - the groups most likely to consider divorce a sin also have the highest divorce rate - but it adds another burden on the couple.
A Person

Postby Sanjuro » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:13 pm

A Person wrote:A failing marriage must be upsetting enough without the added guilt that you are also committing a sin. Not that that actually seems to prevent divorce - the groups most likely to consider divorce a sin also have the highest divorce rate - but it adds another burden on the couple.

You know, I've seen a lot of data over the years that really backs this statement up. I think the problem is three fold.

I think many religions put the expectation on people to marry very soon or early in life, then there is the aforementioned pressure to stick with it no matter what, then the likely pressures of having children quickly. They are getting it on all sides. The sad part is, a lot of people don't even learn who they are, or move out of mommy and daddy's house long enough to know true independance before getting married.
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby jb » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:51 am

Sanjuro wrote:
A Person wrote:A failing marriage must be upsetting enough without the added guilt that you are also committing a sin. Not that that actually seems to prevent divorce - the groups most likely to consider divorce a sin also have the highest divorce rate - but it adds another burden on the couple.

You know, I've seen a lot of data over the years that really backs this statement up. I think the problem is three fold.

I think many religions put the expectation on people to marry very soon or early in life, then there is the aforementioned pressure to stick with it no matter what, then the likely pressures of having children quickly. They are getting it on all sides. The sad part is, a lot of people don't even learn who they are, or move out of mommy and daddy's house long enough to know true independance before getting married.

You have an interesting thought and it reminded me of something I heard at my retreat. It went something like this. We need to encourage our kids to get a vocation/career before they get married. This way they are a lot less likely to have regrets. (ie..I wish I had gone to college..it's your fault)

I agree with some of the things you said. Thanks.
jb

Return to WWJD?