Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

I got a heaping helping of "Christian Love" on Sat

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:36 pm

Sanjuro, I'm sorry to hear about all this man. It's really sad when a simple thought process can cause so much intolerance and hate.

One could easily argue that the Evolve fish symbol is a symbol of hate and intolerance as well.

These are the same kind of people responsible for segregation and slavery before that.

OK. Getting rediculous now.

And christians think they're persecuted

Do you feel persecuted?
BecauseHeLives

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:38 pm

A Person wrote:Since my car is anonymous - let's be really offensive :twisted:

Yes. Offensive.

If there was a way to display that on your car and you could be assured no harm would come to you or your car would you put it on your car?
BecauseHeLives

Postby Sanjuro » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:40 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote: Do you feel persecuted?

You want me to answer that right now? :?
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:44 pm

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote: Do you feel persecuted?

You want me to answer that right now? :?

I certainly would not have wanted to have been one of those two people that came up to you trying to spreading the gospel. What are the odds of you getting a visit like that after what happened to your car?
BecauseHeLives

Postby RebelSnake » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:49 pm

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hate%20crime
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source hate crime
n. A crime motivated by prejudice against a social group: "[His]murders were hate crimes targeting victims by gender" (Jane Caputi and Diana E.H. Russell).

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law - Cite This Source
Main Entry: hate crime
Function: noun
: a crime that violates the victim's civil rights and that is motivated by hostility to the victim's race, religion, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
RebelSnake

Postby Sanjuro » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:50 pm

We're in the south. I'd venture to say the chances are better than average. :P
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:54 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:I certainly would not have wanted to have been one of those two people that came up to you trying to spreading(sic) the gospel. What are the odds of you getting a visit like that after what happened to your car?

In my neighorhood, it would have been a VERY unlikely event. In the 12 years I've been in my place, we've had visits from the local Gawd Squads about 3 times. I wish I could say that such an attack would be "unthinkable" in my neighborhood... but we live just down the street from a church. One with a lot of teenagers -- and it's that sort of person, those who aren't all that used to controlling their impulses, that would be prime suspects here.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby A Person » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:21 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:Yes. Offensive.

If there was a way to display that on your car and you could be assured no harm would come to you or your car would you put it on your car?
No, of course not, it would be inappropriate. I also would not put a symbol of torture and killing on my car either.

But it does put your 'beyond offensive' in perspective.
A Person

Postby RebelSnake » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:49 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:
One could easily argue that the Evolve fish symbol is a symbol of hate and intolerance as well.

How so? I've never seen or read anything that would suggest that.

BecauseHeLives wrote:These are the same kind of people responsible for segregation and slavery before that.

OK. Getting rediculous now.

Why is it rediculous? It's the same kinds of attitudes now as then.
RebelSnake

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:56 pm

Well if you purposely place a symbol on your car knowing that it will inflame another group that you don't agree with I think lots of people would look at that as having a bit of "hate" built into the motives. Christians don't put fish symbols on there car to inflame atheists, deists, or agnostics. Its typically a symbol that is placed there so that other Christians will recognize them.
BecauseHeLives

Postby Nfidel » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:57 pm

Nfidel

Postby Liv » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:39 pm

Maybe it wasn't humans that did it, sanjuro? Maybe God struck your car down from heaven to show you he is there?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:40 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:Well if you purposely place a symbol on your car knowing that it will inflame another group that you don't agree with I think lots of people would look at that as having a bit of "hate" built into the motives.
Why should a mild spoof on a fish 'inflame' anyone? The fish is not a sacred symbol and does not belong to Xians.

I don't put the symbol on my car because the intolerance of Xians to the mildest hint of disagreement results in a wildly inappropriate response. For the same reason I don't 'advertise' that I'm an atheist as I do not wish to be a target.

Yet you're the one who's always crying 'hate', 'intolerance' and 'persecution'?
Strange.
A Person

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:55 pm

Matt wrote:Highly imflamatory and immature Liv. You disappoint me today.

Ditto
BecauseHeLives

Postby RebelSnake » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:56 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:

Well if you purposely place a symbol on your car knowing that it will inflame another group that you don't agree with I think lots of people would look at that as having a bit of "hate" built into the motives. Christians don't put fish symbols on there car to inflame atheists, deists, or agnostics. Its typically a symbol that is placed there so that other Christians will recognize them.

Now you claim to know other people's motives, huh? And on top of that, you're second guessing "lots of people" and their reactions and how they feel about things. A lot of organizations and groups have their own distinctive symbols they utilize for recognition by other members of the same group. No one group has a patent on any particular symbol and I'm positive no group goes out of their way to purposely offend anyone, despite what some idiots may think.
RebelSnake

Postby RebelSnake » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:00 pm

You did just fine Liv. The only change I would make would be "evolution, atheist hating christians". Call it like it is.
RebelSnake

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:06 pm

Now you claim to know other people's motives, huh?

Many times motives are quite obvious. If they didn't want to offend other people they would have used a symbol that is distinctly different from the symbol that Christians commonly used. I can't think of another explanation. Can you? Maybe a bunch of evolutionists were sitting around one day and decided they needed a symbol and they just happened to come up with the fish symbol? Get real.

And on top of that, you're second guessing "lots of people" and their reactions and how they feel about things. A lot of organizations and groups have their own distinctive symbols they utilize for recognition by other members of the same group.

Yep. And they are distintive to that organization. They don't take an existing symbol and add to it typically as that might involve legal issues.

No one group has a patent on any particular symbol

Many symbols are trademarked. I'm sure the fish symbol probably isn't. But its widely known the fish symbol, especially how it is displayed, is common to Christians for 1900 years. Others have purposely taken that symbol and distorted it to poke fun at the other group.

and I'm positive no group goes out of their way to purposely offend anyone, despite what some idiots may think.

Let me use your quote here: "Now you claim to know other people's motives, huh?". Boy that was fun.
BecauseHeLives

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:08 pm

RebelSnake wrote:You did just fine Liv. The only change I would make would be "evolution, atheist hating christians". Call it like it is.

Maybe change "evolution, atheist hating christians" to "evolution, atheist hate christians"
BecauseHeLives

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:16 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:Maybe change "evolution, atheist hating christians" to "evolution, atheist hate christians"

Staggering... :shock:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:17 pm

Indeed.
BecauseHeLives

Postby RebelSnake » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:20 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:
and I'm positive no group goes out of their way to purposely offend anyone, despite what some idiots may think.

Let me use your quote here: "Now you claim to know other people's motives, huh?". Boy that was fun.

Provide documentation of a group purposely offending people and for no other reason than that. It's called being civil with those around you, otherwise known as common sense.
RebelSnake

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:21 pm

RebelSnake wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

Provide documentation of a group purposely offending people and for no other reason than that. It's called being civil with those around you, otherwise known as common sense.

You are babbling now. What are you talking about?
BecauseHeLives

Postby RebelSnake » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:21 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:
RebelSnake wrote:You did just fine Liv. The only change I would make would be "evolution, atheist hating christians". Call it like it is.

Maybe change "evolution, atheist hating christians" to "evolution, atheist hate christians"

I rest my case.
RebelSnake

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:23 pm

RebelSnake wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

I rest my case.

I think you are confusing the word hate in my post to be an adjective. Its a verb.
BecauseHeLives

Postby RebelSnake » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:30 pm

If they didn't want to offend other people they would have used a symbol that is distinctly different from the symbol that Christians commonly used.

Others have purposely taken that symbol and distorted it to poke fun at the other group.

You are babbling now. What are you talking about?

Provide proof of your asinine claims.
RebelSnake

PreviousNext

Return to WWJD?