Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Judging a man by the gods he keeps.

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:59 am

It's been a while since I have read anything up to date on the psychology of religion, but I've been thinking about the subject on my own recently. It occurs to me (based on personal observation) that in the case of "the great monotheist religions" the basic nature of the situation is hierarchical. In other words, a believer naturally assumes that she or he is a member of a hierarchy that goes up above her or his spot.

One interesting thing about hierarchies is that they tend to enforce conformity. The personality of the leaders tends to be emulated at lower levels -- an understandable thing, because those lower levels are keen on "fitting in" and gaining the favor of higher-level entries in the hierarchy.

I think it's for this reason that when dealing with a "monotheist" person, it is important to find out how that person views her/his god. I believe that such a person will be making ever effort to emulate that view of that god, either as part of a conscious effort or by some sort of pack instinct.

I have religious friends who see God as a loving father figure who wants his children to live in peace and harmony with everyone. These folks are the best ones to get to know. They tend to be loving people, and developing relationships with them is a joy.

I've unfortunately run across others (more so recently than in the past) who see God as a vindictive, power-greedy monster who's only goal is to control the minds and lives of every one of its creations, like a master puppeteer. These people, trying to emulate this sort of god, are nasty beyond belief and impossible to talk with. Life is better without having any contact with such folks, IMO. There's little to be had there but pain.

But this does tend (so far as personal experience is concerned) to verify my thesis -- you can generally judge a man by finding out what he thinks of his God. Sometimes, it's quicker and easier than going through the bother of trying to develop a relationship through the old-fashioned method of holding conversations...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby A Person » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:49 pm

When you read of Kent Hovind's treatment of his son, literally beating the snot out of him for being scared of the dentist - an accomplishment he was once apparently proud of although he has now removed these comments from his web site - it explains some of the attitudes of God-fearin' folk. If their daddy can do that to them for so little, think how much worse God's spanking will be for real bad sins.
A Person

Postby Sanjuro » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:05 pm

I still hold to the idea that a person's "god" is merely a manifestation of their own ego. Southern Fried Infidel; your statement here is precisely why.
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:27 pm

Sanjuro wrote:I still hold to the idea that a person's "god" is merely a manifestation of their own ego. Southern Fried Infidel; your statement here is precisely why.

Hm yes. Feedback loop. That might explain why some folks can get REALLY nasty. :!:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Return to WWJD?