Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

SFI Bible Study - part 18

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:39 pm

As always, I hope this can be a serious study of the Christian Bible, and I only ask that those who participate try to stay away from personal-level attacks. All pertinent comments are welcome, regardless of whether you are a believer or not.

We start looking at the life of one of the central characters of the Old Testament here - King David. You know - the guy who was a man after God's own heart. Here's the end of a rather interesting story about David's life before he became king.
1 Sam 25: 32-42 - David said to Abigail, "Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, who sent you to meet me today! Blessed be your good sense, and blessed be you, who have kept me today from bloodguilt and from avenging myself by my own hand! For as surely as the Lord the God of Israel lives, who has restrained me from hurting you, unless you had hurried and come to meet me, truly by morning there would not have been left to Nabal so much as one male." Then David received from her hand what she had brought him; he said to her, "Go up to your house in peace; see, I have heeded your voice, and I have granted your petition."

Abigail came to Nabal; he was holding a feast in his house, like the feast of a king. Nabal's heart was merry within him, for he was very drunk; so she told him nothing at all until the morning light. In the morning, when the wine had gone out of Nabal, his wife told him these things, and his heart died within him; he became like a stone. About ten days later the Lord struck Nabal, and he died. When David heard that Nabal was dead, he said, "Blessed be the Lord who has judged the case of Nabal's insult to me, and has kept back his servant from evil; the Lord has returned the evildoing of Nabal upon his own head." Then David sent and wooed Abigail, to make her his wife. When David's servants came to Abigail at Carmel, they said to her, "David has sent us to you to take you to him as his wife." She rose and bowed down, with her face to the ground, and said, "Your servant is a slave to wash the feet of the servants of my lord." Abigail got up hurriedly and rode away on a donkey; her five maids attended her. She went after the messengers of David and became his wife.

A bit of context: David and his companions wandered up to the estate of the wealthy curmudgeon Nabal and asked (more or less politely) for some food. Nabal told them no in rather gruff but no uncertain terms. David was incensed at the refusal and decided to kill Nabal. Nabal's wife, Abigail, met with David and convinced him not to act as a pirate. The rest, you see above.

What strikes me as interesting is that David sees Nabal's death as a matter of God stepping in and acting as a "hit man," killing the rich man and allowing David to take the dead man's wife for himself. Sounds like a pattern of behavior being established to me.

Comments?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby A Person » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:14 pm

Sounds very much like the rest of the Old Testament. A bunch of powerful patriarchs coveting and taking whatever strikes their fancy and justifying it by appealling to God.

David does seem to have a thing for other men's wives though. It was dangerous to have a good looking wife when he was around.

Sonds rather like the mafia. "How attached are you to your foreskin? Let me make you an offer you can't refuse"
A Person

Postby Questioner » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:33 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:A bit of context: David and his companions wandered up to the estate of the wealthy curmudgeon Nabal and asked (more or less politely) for some food. Nabal told them no in rather gruff but no uncertain terms. David was incensed at the refusal and decided to kill Nabal. Nabal's wife, Abigail, met with David and convinced him not to act as a pirate. The rest, you see above.
Comments?

Sounds vaguely like Nabal violated the old desert rule of hospitality to strangers who visit your tent.
Questioner

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:41 pm

Questioner wrote:Sounds vaguely like Nabal violated the old desert rule of hospitality to strangers who visit your tent.

Indeed. However, it sure seems as if the reaction was overblown. Rather similar to many other such stories of God wreaking extravagant punishments over minor issues.

But this raises a question similar to that which we discussed earlier regarding morality. The rule of hospitality for strangers that visit your tent makes some sense in a nomadic lifestyle built around tents in a desert. Is it really sensible to carry that code with you into a sendentary, agrarian economy where people live in houses on farms? What about in cities where people don't store large amounts of goods in their apartments?

Just wondering...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Questioner » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:51 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:Indeed. However, it sure seems as if the reaction was overblown. Rather similar to many other such stories of God wreaking extravagant punishments over minor issues.

But this raises a question similar to that which we discussed earlier regarding morality. The rule of hospitality for strangers that visit your tent makes some sense in a nomadic lifestyle built around tents in a desert. Is it really sensible to carry that code with you into a sendentary, agrarian economy where people live in houses on farms? What about in cities where people don't store large amounts of goods in their apartments?
Just wondering...

Refusing a hungry or thirsty traveler sustenance wasn't a minor issue. It often meant life or death to the traveler. So a person who violated that custom was viewed as a murderer.
Of course the custom would not have been so necessary in permanent settlements, but remember that cultural values die hard. My friend who is an anthropologist did her dissertation research on cultural practices among white ethnic groups in Michigan in and around Detroit, which is extremely diverse in terms of having descendents of immigrants from virtually all the Eastern European countries.

She was quite shocked to find that many, many cultural practices endured even to 5 generations (and that was as far as she studied). She focused on health and self-care practices, but also noticed a few others. She soon could tell what country your ancestors emigrated from just by asking a couple of questions about what you did for a cold, a boil, or several other minor illnesses. And most of her subjects considered themselves totally Americanized. Neither they nor their parents spoke anything but English, and especially not the language of their family's country of origin, they had been educated in the U.S.--some had college and even graduate degrees. But the customs endured.

Therefore, it would not be surprising that some of the customs of desert nomads endured for many generations after converting to an agricultural life. And especially when those customs had been taught in the context of religion, one would expect them to be especially tenacious.
Questioner

Postby A Person » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:19 pm

Actually the first part of this story sounds more like a labor turf dispute - or a protection racket.

Nabal lived in Maon but his herds and shepherds were in Carmel and he was shearing them there. David sent ten of his men to say "Hey we didn't harass or steal from your shepherds, so give them (and me, your 'son') a slice of the action"

Nabal's response was "Who is this David guy telling me what to do. How do I know you're from David anyway? Why should I divert the food and drink from my servants to give to a bunch of guys I know nothing about"

(Bear in mind that 600 warriors and their families would make quite a hole in Nabal's flocks.)

David then got 400 of his henchmen, armed them with swords and prepared to do some GBH on Nabal.

However one of the henchmen snitched to Abigail, and being less stubborn, she loaded up with food to buy off David. This worked, but when Nabal found out, after a heavy night of drinking, he had a heart attack.

And the moral is...

If a warlord in the wilderness sends a scouting party out asking for food -

Prepare for a fight? (and lock up your wife)

Give them whatever they ask for? (and lock up your wife)
A Person

Return to WWJD?