Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Resurrected or Resuscitated?

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby A Person » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:49 am

Matt wrote:You're wrong to debate the nature of heaven, God, etc, when you don't believe in them.

They are all fiction to you. So how can you logically have an opinion about something that does not exist?

Doing so would indicate you have a belief in something you have not seen or know.
It's certainly possible to have a polite logical discussion as to why you don't believe and question the evidence supporting it. I can for example assess the evidence for telekinesis without a priori believing in it. Your position seems to suggest that only Christians can discuss Christianity - you must believe before you can have an opinion.

Christian belief is justified solely by the Bible. If some of those beliefs are contradicted by the Bible or simply invented without biblical support then they are not even self referential.
A Person

Postby A Person » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:07 am

The Bible is a 'fact' in that it is a real book and anyone can read it. Claims about what it says are amenable to objective analysis.

We can discuss what the Brothers Grimm say about fairies without beliveing in them. (fairies not the brothers)

If someone says the Bible says "X" and therefore "Y" is true and we can show that the Bible does not infact say "X" then 'Y" does not follow.
A Person

Postby RebelSnake » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:40 am

Matt wrote:You're wrong to debate the nature of heaven, God, etc, when you don't believe in them.

Why?

Matt wrote:They are all fiction to you. So how can you logically have an opinion about something that does not exist?

You've never had an opinion about a work of fiction?

Matt wrote:Doing so would indicate you have a belief in something you have not seen or know.

Matt, that makes no sense whatsoever. You're actually saying to have an opinion about a fictional character indicates beLIEf in said character?? I have opinions about the characters on Stargate SG-1, but I know they're not real. The same thing applies to Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. Methinks thou doth protest too much. How can you honestly brand someone's thoughts as right or wrong?
RebelSnake

Postby RebelSnake » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:47 am

APerson wrote:John 19:34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

Why would such a wound necessarily be fatal? I personally know people that have been stabbed or wounded in their torso enough for considerable blood flow - they're not dead. It's far more common to survive a stabbing than a crucifixion.

The key words here would be "blood and water". Blood and water coming out of a wound together would indicate internal injuries that could very well prove fatal. I learned that on The Discovery channel on one of their specials on the crucifixion.
RebelSnake

Postby A Person » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:55 am

Matt wrote:Then, in your view, you're discussing a work of fiction.

No.

The Bible is a book written by several men. It is not a work of fiction in that it was not written to entertain but it describes people and events (mostly in retrospect and often hearsay). As such is is often the only record we have of these events but it is obviously not completely reliable.

Since it is also used by many as justification for laws and restrictions, I think it perfectly reasonable to assess the Bible and to discuss its claims.

I would classify Genesis as mythology as it makes claims that are supernatural and demonstrably false. Mythology is different from fiction in that it was not written to entertain and tells us a lot about the world view and understanding of the authors.
A Person

Postby A Person » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:18 am

RebelSnake wrote:The key words here would be "blood and water". Blood and water coming out of a wound together would indicate internal injuries that could very well prove fatal. I learned that on The Discovery channel on one of their specials on the crucifixion.
I don't dispute that crucifixion and a stab wound 'could very well prove fatal', but simply that it is not neccessarily so.
A Person

Postby Questioner » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:30 am

Matt wrote:Why are you not discussing the spear they put into his side?

Surely that's enough to be a mortal wound.

Depends entirely on how deep the spear was thrust into His side, and of course, the angle. To be immediately mortal, it would have to go through the chest and pierce the heart or aorta.

If indeed, this Roman soldier was intent on not having this particular prisoner die, insertion of the spear through the skin but not through the ribs would not be a fatal wound at all. Now if that spear went into lung tissue, the wound would not be immediately fatal either. However, surviving a penetrating wound into the lungs is pretty dicey. Air pressure is very different outside the body than in the lungs, and an open wound to the lungs usually collapses the lung. Again, not immediately fatal, but also not often survivable without a chest tube or at least somebody who knows that hole has to be sealed immediately. Not really practical to be giving the prisoner that kind of first aid during a crucifixion. On the other hand, there have been cases where people did survive penetrating chest wounds. And Jesus was in fact a healthy 33 year old man going into the horror of the crucifixion. His relatively young and healthy state would have made him more able to survive that kind of trauma. Probably that is why Herod questioned such a quick death from a method of execution designed to produce a slow, tortureous death.

As to surviving the spear thrust at all, remember this was a Roman soldier. If he wanted to make sure Jesus was dead, he would be very well trained in how to make the wound fatal. And everybody watching would know that. So everybody would believe that the spear wound without a struggle on the part of the victim would prove He was dead--and would kill if the victim happened still to be alive. Remember, a Roman soldier was trained in what kinds of spear thrusts would be fatal--and what kinds of thrusts and angles were NOT fatal. So, if this soldier's intent was to have this prisoner survive the crucifixion, he would have known how to use that spear to convince everybody Jesus was dead, without making the wound fatal should that have been his purpose.

After the other wounds Jesus suffered, a shallow wound under the skin wouldn't be much of an injury. And the soldier would also have known quite well whether Jesus was dead or if He was simply unconscious. Remember, death was this guy's business, and Roman soldiers had the best military training in the world at the time.
Questioner

Postby A Person » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:48 am

If the purpose of the spear thrust was to kill then why the leg breaking? The leg breaking was apparently a common way to hasten death. Stabbing them to death would be too nice and that's not how it reads.

John is the only one who mention this and he places particular significance on it as fulfilling a prophecy.

John wrote:19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
19:32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.
19:33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:
19:34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
19:35 And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.
19:36 For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.
19:37 And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.
A Person

Postby BecauseHeLives » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:27 am

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:
Yet heaven is supposed to be a spiritual place... recall that one Gospel has Jesus promising a fellow prisoner that they'll both be "in paradise" that same day.

I'm not sure how you equate spiritual to paradise but...

Well, there's this -- I think it's the Nicene Creed that says that Jesus died and descended into Hell. There's also some NT passage that says as much. Yet we also know that Jesus said he'd be "in paradise" the day he died.

So you claim that "paradise" and "heaven" are two separate places. And "paradise" must be a spiritual place, since the Bible tells us Jesus was placed in a grave after death. So -- care to back up your claim that paradise <> heaven with Bible references? And would you mind getting the Greek text for the passages used? Just wondering...

I know you guys hate it when I reference this site but it really does explain it in better detail than I could. Here ya go...

http://www.gotquestions.org/did-Jesus-go-to-hell.html
BecauseHeLives

Postby BecauseHeLives » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:30 am

Question: "What is paradise? Is it different than heaven? Where do people go when they die until Christ comes back?”

Answer: The word paradise is used as a synonym for Heaven (2 Corinthians 12:4; Revelation 2:7). What we do know for sure is that there has always been a separation of believers and unbelievers (Luke 16:19-31). The righteous have always gone to paradise, the wicked have always gone to Hell (Hades). For right now, both heaven (Paradise) and Hell (Sheol) are “temporary holding places” until the day when Jesus Christ comes back to judge the world based on whether or not they have believed in Him. One day, all will be sent to their eternal destination. The wicked to the lake of fire (Revelation 20:11-15) and the righteous to a new heaven and a new earth (Revelation 21-22).

Keep in mind that the heaven described as "paradise" is not the final heaven in which believers will ascend to...
BecauseHeLives

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:32 am

Matt wrote:Well your arguments are based on fiction and fairy tales too. Right? I mean surely you don't hold anything in the Bible as fact?

There's a difference between fiction and legend, isn't there? I don't believe in the supernatural, but that doesn't mean that I "don't hold anything in the Bible as fact."

Take the story of Jonah, for instance. A story of a man spennding 3 days in the stomach of a huge fish is pretty hard to accept. The story of a religious fanatic preaching in a Middle Eastern metropolis far less so.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:21 pm

Matt wrote:You guys, the atheist three, are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

That's right, Matt -- we three follow our orders from a higher authority: Sanjuro. :lol:
In one instance, it's silly little fairy tales. In another, it's a historical record, i.e. factual documentation.

So which is it?

I thought A Person and I made it pretty clear how we view the Bible. Is there some problem with the concept of a book that is part myth, part history, part hearsay?

By the way, how do you view the Bible? Do you consider it infallible?
Is it just situational for you? So the next time you say God is hateful and a killer, are you going to say because the Bible said he was? Would that indicate he exists?

Does it really bother you that much that we try to discuss your holy book's stories with you in this manner? Do you identify with the Bible so strongly that you take it personally when we point out logical problems with its contents?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby RebelSnake » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:41 pm

Matt wrote:You guys, the atheist three, are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

In one instance, it's silly little fairy tales. In another, it's a historical record, i.e. factual documentation.

So which is it?

Is it just situational for you? So the next time you say God is hateful and a killer, are you going to say because the Bible said he was? Would that indicate he exists?

C'mon now Matt, you're talking as if we think the entire bible has to be one or the other. That's just plain ridiculous. Certain events and places have been shown to be factual while others have not. Parts are clearly parables while other parts are clearly made up stories used to explain what the writers had no other way of understanding. Please don't insult our intelligence by implying that we think it has to be either all fact or all "silly little fairy tales".
RebelSnake

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Matt wrote:What bothers me is faulty logic being claimed as a reasonable. You're picking and choosing your facts to support your argument. But you're getting these facts from a source that you say is a mix of fact and fiction.

I admit that it's an awkward situation. Dealing with the Bible is difficult pretty much all the time because very few people can come at such a discussion with a common understanding of what its nature is. Such is the arena of religion.
By this logic, BHL's (and I use him just as an example) opinion are just as factual as yours. He's selecting what he thinks are facts from the Bible and using them to support his argument.

As I said a little while back, this is a problem that faces all atheists when talking with believers of any religion. I view his statements as continuity issues within a book (doesn't have to be all fact or all fiction, you see), and there are many problems there. It seems that we never get to the point of checking the book against objective facts, but I have no real problem with that, because it's impossible to get a view of the book that is consistent throughout the whole. All I can do is shrug and let the believers who are bothered by it struggle with that issue.
You can claim your facts are more "real" but you have nothing to prove or disprove that stance.

I don't recall you or anyone challenging me to substantiate anything I've claimed as fact. If I've been challenged and missed it, I apologize. I will try to do better in the future.
Again, I'm addressing faulty logic. Don't attempt to twist my words into a religious belief debate even if that better serves your opinion.

All I did was ask. You seemed to be getting a bit steamed is all.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby RebelSnake » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:12 pm

You're picking and choosing what you wish to believe is fact.

Examples please?
RebelSnake

Postby RebelSnake » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:04 pm

Matt wrote:
RebelSnake wrote:
You're picking and choosing what you wish to believe is fact.

Examples please?

There is a heaven and God is in it. Fact or fiction?

No evasion please. Examples of my picking and choosing?
RebelSnake

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:45 pm

Matt wrote:Well pick this one. Bible says there's a heaven and a God in it. True or not?

I'm pretty sure the Bible says that. Of course, the Bible also says that God lived for many years in a box that was carried through the desert by a bunch of nomads. Presumably, he moved back to his old digs after the box got lost... according to the Bible, that is. :wink:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby RebelSnake » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:03 pm

Matt wrote:Well pick this one. Bible says there's a heaven and a God in it. True or not?

Since you refuse to provide an example, I assume you're engaging in useless accusations without documentation. As for your question, yes the bible says that.
RebelSnake

Postby RebelSnake » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:43 pm

Matt wrote:
That's some pretty good dancing you do.

And no, I don't wish to troll through all those fun and interesting posts you've made bashing religion. It was exhaustingly dull reading them the first time.

I answered your question as stated. And the answer you've finally provided is about what I expected. Thank you.
RebelSnake

Postby RebelSnake » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:27 pm

Matt wrote:I'll be saving this thread. I have faith you'll screw up and I'll be right here with the "I told you so".

How very mature of you.
RebelSnake

Postby RebelSnake » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:58 pm

Questioner Posted:

Depends entirely on how deep the spear was thrust into His side, and of course, the angle. To be immediately mortal, it would have to go through the chest and pierce the heart or aorta.

I decided to do a little searching this morning and found a medical analysis of the crucixion here:

http://www.forerunner.com/mandate/X0040_A_Physician_Analyzes.html

Interesting article, but here is the part about the spear thrust and why there was blood and water flowing.

The common method of ending a crucifixion was by crurifracture, the breaking of the bones of the leg. This prevented the victim from pushing himself upward; the tension could not be relieved from the muscles of the chest, and rapid suffocation occurred. The legs of the two thieves were broken, but when the soldiers approached Jesus, they saw that this was unnecessary.

Apparently, to make doubly sure of death, the legionnaire drove his lance between the ribs, upward through the pericardium and into the heart. John 19:34 states, "And immediately there came out blood and water." Thus there was an escape of watery fluid from the sac surrounding the heart and the blood of the interior of the heart. This is rather conclusive post-mortem evidence that Jesus died, not the usual crucifixion death by suffocation, but of heart failure due to shock and constriction of the heart by fluid in the pericardium.

This explains rather conclusively why his legs weren't broken, and why water and blood were seen flowing from the wound. And one last point for those that may question the veracity of the website to keep in mind. This is not an atheist website, but rather a christian website.
RebelSnake

Postby A Person » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:53 pm

I had read that article and that doctor reads a lot into "But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water." an incident reported by John only. John also was intent on linking this with a 'prophecy'

Note John says 'his side' not 'between his ribs, upward through the pericardium and into the heart.' or even 'pierced his heart'. There are many possible sources of liquid in the body, not all would require a fatal injury to be released. I'm not a medical doctor, but pericarditis is not the only possible diagnosis based on such a weak description.

Dr. Davis article, although undoubtedly sincere, is loaded with speculation and highly emotive language* to describe the torment Jesus underwent and to prove he died; but ignores the known fact that people survived crucifixion - often for days. The two thieves were still alive and thus had their legs broken (no coupe de grace through the heart), Pilate who had seen many crucifixions 'marvelled' that Jesus was already dead.

*e.g. "At this point, another phenomenon occurred. As the arms fatigued, great waves of cramps swept over the muscles, knotting them in deep relentless, throbbing pain. With these cramps came the inability to push Himself upward. Hanging by the arm, the pectoral muscles, the large muscles of the chest, were paralyzed and the intercostal muscles, the small muscles between the ribs, were unable to act. Air could be drawn into the lungs, but could not be exhaled. Jesus fought to raise Himself in order to get even one short breath. Finally, the carbon dioxide level increased in the lungs and in the blood stream, and the cramps partially subsided."
A Person

Postby RebelSnake » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:07 pm

Matt wrote:WTF? I'm agreeing with RS?

I guess it had to happen sooner or later. :mrgreen:
RebelSnake

Postby Questioner » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:32 pm

RebelSnake wrote:[http://www.forerunner.com/mandate/X0040_A_Physician_Analyzes.html[/url]
Apparently, to make doubly sure of death, the legionnaire drove his lance between the ribs, upward through the pericardium and into the heart. John 19:34 states, "And immediately there came out blood and water." Thus there was an escape of watery fluid from the sac surrounding the heart and the blood of the interior of the heart. This is rather conclusive post-mortem evidence that Jesus died, not the usual crucifixion death by suffocation, but of heart failure due to shock and constriction of the heart by fluid in the pericardium.

This explains rather conclusively why his legs weren't broken, and why water and blood were seen flowing from the wound. And one last point for those that may question the veracity of the website to keep in mind. This is not an atheist website, but rather a christian website.

I too think Jesus died on the cross and rose on the third day. But just as a medical exercise, I'm willing to discuss that spear.

Dr. Davis could be right that Jesus died faster than most on the cross because of the extreme trauma He suffered prior to the crucifixion. And in fact, if he died quickly enough that crucifracture was unnecessary, the ordinary mode of death (suffocation) might not have happened. But there are problems with Dr. Davis' report. He is assuming that the spear went deeply into the chest and through the pericardium. The bible does not give that level of detail. The amount of fluid in the pericardial sack isn't that much, even in cardiac tamponade (explained below). And whether it would drain out through the spear hole without getting very blood tinged (and thus looking just like thin red blood) isn't very likely.

What Dr. Davis is referring to when he talks about that clear fluid is cardiac tamponade. Tamponade means is that the membrane around the heart, the pericardium, becomes over-filled with fluid (either blood or clear serum) so that it compresses the heart. When that happens, the heart cannot beat effectively, and if untreated, the person dies. Tamponade is caused by an infection of the pericardium, a dissecting aortic aneurism, or by a heart attack. Possibly Jesus had a heart attack, but tamponade following a heart attack takes a bit of time to evolve. There are a few other things that can cause it but those aren't relevant in this situation either. I disagree with Dr. Davis that tamponade caused the death.

But let's say He did die of tamponade. Even when there is enough fluid in the pericardial sac to cause tamponade, that isn't a large volume of fluid usually. Certainly not enough to cause clear fluid to run out of a dead body through a distant a chest wound.

On the other hand, that scourging would cause massive tissue swelling, and like any injury that removes significant areas of skin, fluid rushes to the area. Such an injury acts like a burn. Burn patients ooze copious amounts of clear fluid! In fact, keeping them hydrated can be a challenge because of the amount of fluid they lose through the surface of the burn. And that dehydrates the body horribly.

If Jesus received the kind of scourging that Dr. Davis describes, then there would be large pockets of serum (clear fluid) all over His back and even extending to the areas around the wounds, including possibly in His side. And that fluid would be very close to the surface, and much more likely to run clear from the wound than something as deep inside the body as the pericardial fluid. So a spear inserted anywhere in the side of the chest might well cause leakage of clear serum.

One thing that actually does argue against Jesus being dead when the spear wound happened is that the wound bled. Blood doesn't run out of a dead body with any enthusiasm at all. In fact, as soon as the heart stops beating, blood begins to settle to the lowest part of the body. In this case, the legs. Post mortem wounds just don't bleed much if at all.

Back to the scourging: it brings up another problem. Even had Jesus survived the crucifixion, I have trouble imagining that He would be up and walking around very well after only 3 days. In fact, given the lack of antibiotics and intravenous fluids, I would guess that almost nobody would long survive a scourging that left large areas of the back denuded of skin and subcutaneous tissue. Such a tissue damage scenario as Dr. Davis describes would lead to death within 48 hours (other than a miraculous cure). What Dr. Davis is describing is equivalent to a very deep 3rd degree burn over the entire back. And without immediate and modern medical care, surviving such an injury is almost unheard of.

In agreement with Dr. Davis, I must say that the amount of trauma inflicted on Jesus could have put just about anybody into heart failure from shock and pain. And it is quite amazing that He survived even 3 hours on the cross if the scourging was really as extreme as that described by Dr. Davis. (I'm not sure they would have scourged Him to that extreme extent because the chance of somebody going into shock and dying from the scourging would be too great. And they planned on crucifying Jesus so they wouldn't want Him to die from the scourging).

In any case, heart failure doesn't cause tamponade. It typically causes the heart to beat so weakly that it can't process all the blood it receives from the vena cava. It pumps blood into the lungs but can't effectively push it from the lungs back to the left side of the heart. So what happens is that the lungs fill with fluid (from blood pooling in the lungs), and causes the victim to drown in his own fluids. To me, that sounds more likely to be the cause of death than cardiac tamponade.
Questioner

Postby A Person » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:36 am

Dr. Davis goes into a lot of graphic detail about the trauma Jesus suffered prior to the crucifixion. But how much of this is justified by the text?

JN 19:1 Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged him.

MK 15:15 And so Pilate, willing to content the people, released Barabbas unto them, and delivered Jesus, when he had scourged him, to be crucified.

MT 27:26 Then released he Barabbas unto them: and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified.

Luke makes no mention of scourging

So all we know is there was a 'scourging', how severe or unusual it was we don't know. So Dr Davis is simply exercising his imagination. (actually he's giving it a damn good workout) to 'prove' that Jesus must have died.

I'm not really trying to prove anything, but I was surprised at the paucity of evidence given in the Bible that Jesus actually died. Again if this was reported today I think that most people would simply decide that perhaps the crucifixion wasn't fatal, rather than a miraculous resurrection had occurred.
A Person

PreviousNext

Return to WWJD?