Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

SFI Bible Study - part 31

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:40 pm

As always, I hope this can be a serious study of the Christian Bible, and I only ask that those who participate try to stay away from personal-level attacks. All pertinent comments are welcome, regardless of whether you are a believer or not.

Today, we finish looking over the last of our “History” books. Nehemiah’s example of “Godly” leadership is quite striking.
Neh 13:23-30 - In those days also I saw Jews who had married women of Ashdod, Ammon, and Moab; and half of their children spoke the language of Ashdod, and they could not speak the language of Judah, but spoke the language of various peoples. And I contended with them and cursed them and beat some of them and pulled out their hair; and I made them take an oath in the name of God, saying, "You shall not give your daughters to their sons, or take their daughters for your sons or for yourselves. Did not King Solomon of Israel sin on account of such women? Among the many nations there was no king like him, and he was beloved by his God, and God made him king over Israel; nevertheless, foreign women made even him sin. Shall we then listen to you and do all this great evil and act treacherously against our God by marrying foreign women?"
And one of the sons of Jehoiada, son of the high priest Eliashib, was the son-in-law of Sanballat the Horonite; I chased him away from me. Remember them, O my God, because they have defiled the priesthood, the covenant of the priests and the Levites.
Thus I cleansed them from everything foreign, and established the duties of the priests and Levites, each in his work.

Does this sound familiar or what? Beating up on people for marrying someone of the wrong race, forcing them to take oaths, and above all, blaming a particular group of people (foreign women) for all the woes of a nation? Not to mention "cleansing" out all the scapegoats.

I find it interesting that several of the things these people thought were “great evil” are today considered desirable or at least acceptable in much of the civilized world. This includes having children growing up in multi-lingual environments, and social mixing. Those who had a more “worldly” upbringing were dealt with here by force, and Nehemiah worked to establish a deeply isolationist, purist theocracy.

Comments?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby RebelSnake » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:14 pm

What amazes me are the similarities between the Jews of the ot and the muslims of today. Attitudes and behaviors are stikingly similar. At least though the Jews finally grew out of all that violence and racial seperation crap. Most of them anyway. I wonder how many thousands of years it will take for the muslims to follow a similar path?
RebelSnake

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:09 pm

RebelSnake wrote:What amazes me are the similarities between the Jews of the ot and the muslims of today. Attitudes and behaviors are stikingly similar. At least though the Jews finally grew out of all that violence and racial seperation crap. Most of them anyway. I wonder how many thousands of years it will take for the muslims to follow a similar path?

Don't forget that the Muslims claim to be an outgrowth and completion of Judaism, just as Christianity does. They seem to have embraced the Torah and these passages we're looking at here far more fervently than Christianity (well, most bits of it, at least) than the Prophets.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby A Person » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:06 pm

RebelSnake wrote:What amazes me are the similarities between the Jews of the ot and the muslims of today. Attitudes and behaviors are stikingly similar.
You don't need to single out Muslims or indeed any particular religion.

Beating up on people for marrying someone of the wrong race
forcing them to take oaths
blaming a particular group of people for all the woes of a nation
"cleansing" out all the scapegoats.

In fact I'd say that this is 'normal' human societal behaviour. It's only recently that we feel this is wrong.
A Person

Postby RebelSnake » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:12 pm

I'm not trying to single out anybody. Arabs and Jews are basically the same people. The main difference being their religion.
RebelSnake

Postby BecauseHeLives » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:22 pm

RebelSnake wrote:I'm not trying to single out anybody. Arabs and Jews are basically the same people. The main difference being their religion.

Maybe you could explain that a little better because you totally lost me on that one....
BecauseHeLives

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:26 pm

A Person wrote:You don't need to single out Muslims or indeed any particular religion.

Beating up on people for marrying someone of the wrong race forcing them to take oaths blaming a particular group of people for all the woes of a nation "cleansing" out all the scapegoats.

In fact I'd say that this is 'normal' human societal behaviour. It's only recently that we feel this is wrong.

Indeed. It's observations of this sort that lead me to the conclusion that the evidence strongly indicates that the Bible is not a book that was influenced by a superhuman mind, but was instead written by perfectly human people acting exactly the same way humans have always acted.

My dearest hope is that, understanding that this is a common, natural past, we can see that these are errors we needn't repeat and find ways to build a better future for humanity.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby A Person » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:31 pm

The cliche that "God was made in man's image" is no less true for being a cliche.
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:33 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:
RebelSnake wrote:I'm not trying to single out anybody. Arabs and Jews are basically the same people. The main difference being their religion.

Maybe you could explain that a little better because you totally lost me on that one....

I don't have a link on this, but I have read in several places over the past few years that genetic studies of Arabs and Jews shows that they are more or less the same, physically. All of them are Semites. I'm guessing that this is shown more through RNA than through DNA, but that's just a guess.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby RebelSnake » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:40 pm

Stand an Arab and a Jew naked, side by side, and you could not tell one from the other. They are the same race of people, physically.
RebelSnake

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:05 pm

RebelSnake wrote:Stand an Arab and a Jew naked, side by side, and you could not tell one from the other. They are the same race of people, physically.

I rather prefer the method of using genetics rather than studying them naked... :wink:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Questioner » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:50 am

All I can say is humans better find another planet or two for colonization. We have pretty much run out of frontier here on this one. And it seems humans have a need for exploration and discovery. Not to mention we are breeding ourselves out of space on this planet.
Questioner

Postby A Person » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:27 am

Questioner wrote: Not to mention we are breeding ourselves out of space on this planet.
Nothing the Four Horsemen can't fix, once the way has been prepared by Ignorance, Intolerance, Hatred and Superstition.
A Person

Postby Questioner » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:20 am

A Person wrote:Nothing the Four Horsemen can't fix, once the way has been prepared by Ignorance, Intolerance, Hatred and Superstition.
Sadly, you are absolutely correct. The horsemen have been out for a long time and have been well fed.
Questioner

Return to WWJD?