Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

SFI Bible Study - part 35

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon May 07, 2007 11:42 am

As always, I hope this can be a serious study of the Christian Bible, and I only ask that those who participate try to stay away from personal-level attacks. All pertinent comments are welcome, regardless of whether you are a believer or not.

This time, we start looking over the biggest book in the Bible: Psalms. I find this book interesting for several reasons. First off, it is a collection of poems -- songs to be used in various religious settings for varying reasons. Secondly, it seems that much of this poetry is a source for what people think of as God’s nature. Of course, one striking aspect of this is that poetry is notoriously difficult to pin down as to what the “real” meaning of something is. In the case of the Psalms, there are also some quite formidable translation barriers to be overcome, when trying to gain some understanding of what might be meant. Overall, we’re getting into some of the fuzziest passages we’ve yet seen in the Bible.

Since there is so much material to be seen in this book (at least 149 distinct “chapters”!) we’ll be spending 4 or 5 sessions looking at some quite interesting items. Here, there are some passages I think were meant to help believers find their way through the hard times in life.
Ps 2:11,12 - Serve the LORD with fear, with trembling kiss his feet, or he will be angry, and you will perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Happy are all who take refuge in him.

Ps 20:1-5 - The LORD answer you in the day of trouble! The name of the God of Jacob protect you! May he send you help from the sanctuary, and give you support from Zion. May he remember all your offerings, and regard with favor your burnt sacrifices.

Selah

May he grant your heart's desire, and fulfill all your plans. May we shout for joy over your victory, and in the name of our God set up our banners. May the LORD fulfill all your petitions.

Ps 54:4,5 - But surely, God is my helper; the LORD is the upholder of my life. He will repay my
enemies for their evil. In your faithfulness, put an end to them.

We’re jumping around here quite a bit, but that’s one of the things you have to do in studying the Psalms.

In the first passage, we come across a couple of interesting issues – first, there’s the problem of translation. In the King James translation, verse 11 says to “kiss the son.” Why the New Revised Standard Version changes this to “Kiss his feet,” I haven’t found out. According to Asimov’s Guide to the Bible, the particular psalm was a song most likely used at the ascension of a king (the royal son) after the death of his father. The other interesting note to make is to see that those who live under God’s protection are considered happy, though others apparently have to face God’s anger.

The second passage appears to be a benediction, wishing people well; a prayer that everything will go your way. I seem to recall that this was generally used for soldiers going off to war. I note here that this doesn’t promise good fortune; it is only a prayer for the best.

I find the last one quite revealing of a theme I found to run through many of the Psalms. Not only is God seen as a protector and comforter, but it also appears that there was a desire for him to act as some sort of cosmic “hit man.”

Comments?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Return to WWJD?