Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

SFI Bible Study - part 37

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon May 21, 2007 12:00 pm

As always, I hope this can be a serious study of the Christian Bible, and I only ask that those who participate try to stay away from personal-level attacks. All pertinent comments are welcome, regardless of whether you are a believer or not.

Here, we continue looking at the book of Psalms, at some verses that many Christians appear to be quite unaware of. How many times have you been in a conversation with a fundamentalist, and heard the comment “God never promised a perfect life!”?
Ps 34:9,10 - O fear the LORD, you his holy ones, for those who fear him have no want. The young lion suffers want and hunger, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.

Ps 84:11 - For the LORD God is a sun and shield; he bestows favor and honor. No good thing does the LORD withhold from those who walk uprightly.

Ps 91:9,10 - Because you have made the LORD your refuge, the Most High your dwelling place, no evil shall befall you, no scourge come near your tent.

Ps 121:5-8 - The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade at your right hand. The sun will not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life. The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time and forevermore.
One of the interesting things I’ve learned so far in studying this book is that the original use for the Psalms was in regular Jewish religious practices. These included the blessing of warriors by the priests as they were about to head off to battle. It certainly seems that these passages could fit into that sort of use.

But what are Christians, many of whom veiw life as a spiritual war, supposed to make of these passages? Viewing these words as “The Word of God” would, I think, constitute a valid “promise of a perfect life.”

Comments?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby RebelSnake » Mon May 21, 2007 1:13 pm

Sure sounds that way, doesn't it? Sounds like he likes to renege on his promises.
RebelSnake

Postby A Person » Mon May 21, 2007 3:10 pm

Clearly if you do want (lack) good things then you must not be walking upright enough. :)

This is the most compelling proofs that there is no God (or if there is a 'creator of the universe' then it takes no interest or action in the lives of men)

God repeatedly promises in the Bible that his followers will be given whatever they ask, will not suffer want or hunger and that their enemies will be defeated.

This does not now and never has held true. Good and bad things happen to the faithful and unbelievers alike.

Therefore either God lies or God does not exist.
A Person

Return to WWJD?