Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

SFI Bible Study - part 39

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue May 29, 2007 12:47 pm

As always, I hope this can be a serious study of the Christian Bible, and I only ask that those who participate try to stay away from personal-level attacks. All pertinent comments are welcome, regardless of whether you are a believer or not.

Today, we take a look at the book called Proverbs. While this book is traditionally supposed to have been written by Solomon (who was supposed to be, according to the book of 1 Chronicles, the wisest person who ever lived), few if any scholars of the Bible believe this. The book is a large collection of wise sayings that were probably pulled together and set down on paper at various times before being put in the form we see it today.

As with much of the Bible, there is a very mixed quality to the book. There are some saying that are indeed wise. There are many that we find quite familiar, even today. And there are some things that are not so wise, and a good supply of things I think of as just plain weird. This week, we look at some sayings that are concerned with child-rearing.
Prov 13:24 - Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are diligent to discipline them.

Prov 20:30 - Blows that wound cleanse away evil; beatings make clean the innermost parts.

Prov 22:15 - Folly is bound up in the heart of a boy, but the rod of discipline drives it far away.

Prov 23:13,14 - Do not withhold discipline from your children; if you beat them with a rod, they will not die. If you beat them with a rod, you will save their lives from Sheol.

The first of these passages is quite familiar to most people, I think. We generally hear it as the King James Version: Spare the rod and Spoil the child. Looking over these verses, it appears that much of the “wisdom” provided in the realm of child rearing involved corporal punishment. This is not to say that this is the only advice given in Proverbs concerning children, but it is an important component, it seems.

Comments?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Questioner » Tue May 29, 2007 7:22 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:The first of these passages is quite familiar to most people, I think. We generally hear it as the King James Version: Spare the rod and Spoil the child. Looking over these verses, it appears that much of the “wisdom” provided in the realm of child rearing involved corporal punishment. This is not to say that this is the only advice given in Proverbs concerning children, but it is an important component, it seems.

Comments?
We didn't use "the rod" or any other form of physical hitting on our kids. But maybe we were lucky. Naughtiness seemed to respond quite well to "time outs" and deprivation of various priviledges such as TV, Nintendo, etc. Our kids figured out pretty early that if Mom or Dad said something like, "If you do not stop that right now you will lose the use of that toy for the rest of the day" (or whatever punishment seemed appropriate to the behavior)--they really did lose the toy or priviledge if they didn't stop.

The problem with non-violent discipline is that parents have to make it proportional to the problem, and then follow through!

If I said, "OK, I told you to take out the trash and you didn't because you wouldn't stop watching TV. So, no more TV today." that TV really went off and no amount of sulking, pleading or screaming would get it turned back on. And if further unacceptable behavior was the response (e.g. screaming), one could end up in a very boring time-out on top of the lack of TV.

We just tried to make it more miserable for them to misbehave than to behave. Seemed to work pretty well. Neither have ever got into any trouble and both are in college taking tough pre-engineering courses and getting excellent grades. Oh, and neither of them has made some girl pregnant out of wedlock either.
Questioner

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue May 29, 2007 7:53 pm

Questioner wrote:We didn't use "the rod" or any other form of physical hitting on our kids. But maybe we were lucky. Naughtiness seemed to respond quite well to "time outs" and deprivation of various priviledges such as TV, Nintendo, etc. Our kids figured out pretty early that if Mom or Dad said something like, "If you do not stop that right now you will lose the use of that toy for the rest of the day" (or whatever punishment seemed appropriate to the behavior)--they really did lose the toy or priviledge if they didn't stop.

I have to say that this route didn't occur to me until my son was well past the "terrible twos" stage, but once I got the hang of it, things did indeed go much more smoothly.

One memorable event was when we caught our son in a rather egregious lie. I told him that since he had decided to treat his parents like sh!t, his punishment would involve a huge load of said substance. He was sentenced to scooping out cat litter boxes every night for a month. (yeah -- the transgression was VERY serious to us!)

He took it like a mature person and never stepped a toe out of line after that. I think partly, this was because I told him that should he try anything nasty with us again, he would be subject to something far less pleasant. That seemed to get his attention... 8)
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby A Person » Tue May 29, 2007 8:20 pm

I managed to raise three children without using physical punishment. I certainly had to restrain them at times and I probably let some things slide that other parents would not be comfortable with. But as long as it only impacts them and won't damage them too much, I'm prepared to let them find out why it's not a good idea.

I do expect the kids to clean out the (3) cats litter trays - not as a punishment but because it needs to be done. Likewise they have to do their own washing and take turns cooking and cleaning. If they have no clean clothes then they have had to stay behind while the rest of us go out somewhere. If chores are a punishment - why should the adults be the only ones punished?

We also gave them a clothing allowance from a young age and made them buy their own clothes - we never had to worry about labels and they appreciate expensive clothes much more.

I firmly believe that violence teaches power not responsibility. Besides the boys both have SHotokan black belts so I'd rather not have to take them on.
A Person

Postby Questioner » Wed May 30, 2007 2:07 am

One of the things I did that turned out rather well was how I dealt with them when they squabbled (when they were little). As any parent who has 2 kids not too far apart in age will tell you, they can get really nasty with each other. But I don't like kids fighting. So, if they got into a squabble (almost always about a toy), I sat down with them in a circle with the toy in the middle. Then I said we were going to sit there until they could figure out a way for them both to end up happy. Neither bigger, nor meaner, nor stronger, nor louder could win. And by golly we DID sit there until they came to an agreement.

At first, I had to make suggestions about things they could do to achieve a win-win solution. (They were quite little when I started this, about 3 and 4 years old). They learned early to negotiate things like, "OK, I get to play with it now since I'm already playing with it, but I get only 10 minutes more and then you get your turn. Then if we both still want to play with it, we take turns until one or the other doesn't want to play with that toy anymore." Stuff like that.

I highly recommend that approach. It starts with the assumption that they are both good kids, and this is indeed a fine toy. So it is reasonable that both will want it at the same time. If it is the sort of thing that only one can play with at a time, there are only 3 possible outcomes:
1) Both end up unhappy.
2) Both end up happy.
3) One ends up happy and the other ends up unhappy.

The corollary to #3 is YOU could end up being the one who is unhappy. So, it is to your advantage to find a solution that lets you both be happy.

I never took sides. I never made the decision as to how the toy was to be shared. That was their relationship they were creating, and the one rule was that they had to make themselves and each other happy. Of course, I won't deny that part of the reason they learned to negotiate a mutually satisfactory solution was that it got pretty boring to sit there in that circle with the toy in the middle and nothing to play with until they came up with a solution they both agreed upon. Boredom can be a good motivator. :mrgreen:

By the time they were 6 or 7, they just about never got into squabbles with each other. Or if they did, they were smart enough to keep it out of parental sight and earshot. And even today they are really good at working together. They help each other with homework, computer problems, and all sorts of things. They just can't believe how some of their friends fight with siblings. They think that is really stupid since nobody ends up happy.
Questioner

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed May 30, 2007 11:58 am

A Person wrote:I do expect the kids to clean out the (3) cats litter trays - not as a punishment but because it needs to be done.

Well, you see, in our case, the litter box detail wasn't really about making the kid do revolting labor. After all, he was already responsible for sharing the duty with me and did the work once a week already. No, it was more a matter of disrupting his evening every night for a month. There were a few nights when he tried to shirk, and I got him out of bed to carry out his punishment... a most satisfactory event indeed.

But the overall point here is that had any of us been inclined to follow the child-rearing advice in the Bible, we would have been most unimaginative and used pain as a motivator, rather than reason.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed May 30, 2007 12:11 pm

A Person wrote:I firmly believe that violence teaches power not responsibility. Besides the boys both have SHotokan black belts so I'd rather not have to take them on.

This reminds me of an amusing incident that happened to our family in a theater some years ago.

We were standing in line to buy snacks before going to see our film, and my son and I were (as usual) joking around. He said something to me that we both knew was a fun little jab at me, and I made a movement with my hand as if to take a swipe at him with the cash I was holding for the snacks.

Well, he was startled by this and stepped back a bit hastily and accidentally blundered into the woman who was standing next in line, spilling some of the coffee she was holding. Well, we both started to apologize for mussing her up with our horseplay, but he woman's male companion too great umbrage at me. He said, "You shouldn't be hitting your son like that!"

I said, "Excuse me? We were just playing around!"

He replied "I ought to report you to the police!" So far as I could tell, this guy seriously thought I had punched my son (who was a high school football player and 6 ft tall at the time) and needed to be arrested for child abuse.

We walked away from the discussion and went to see our film. Afterward, my son and I went to the restroom, and this same guy followed us in there. Once again, he approached me (as I was stading in one of the stalls) and told me I was a coward. I ignored him and left. Later, my son told me that this guy had approached him and offered to help him escape from his abusive father. My son assured the fellow that everything was OK and walked away.

To this day, part of our regular horseplay still includes the threat from me to "dollar-whip" my son. It's always good for a giggle...
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed May 30, 2007 12:17 pm

Questioner wrote:Boredom can be a good motivator. :mrgreen:

So VERY true. On our first trip to Disney World, our son was 8 years old and quite impatient with his slow moving parents. We told him that every time he got too far ahead of us, he would get himself sat down and forced to do nothing for 5 minutes.

It took only a few instances of enforced idleness to teach the lesson. If only other parents would learn this method of discipline. When you go to Disney World, you invariably see far too many parents swatting their kids, saying cruel things to them and generally making matters extremely unpleasant for their families and the folks around them. So sad, considering so many problems can be avoided with a little empathy and a healthy dose of enforced boredom.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby Questioner » Wed May 30, 2007 12:30 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:But the overall point here is that had any of us been inclined to follow the child-rearing advice in the Bible, we would have been most unimaginative and used pain as a motivator, rather than reason.
We are all happy that medical science has advanced greatly in the last 4,000 years. We are all mostly thrilled that physics, astronomy, chemistry, engineering and other sciences have advanced in the last 4,000 years.

So why are some people so intent on ignoring the stuff we have learned about child development, human learning and motivation in the past 4,000 years? Do these "spare the rod and spoil the child" proponents look to the medical teachings in the bible for how to cure plague? NO! They go to doctors who use antibiotics so that disease isn't a killer anymore.

So why in the name of God would they restrict themselves to 4,000 year old child rearing techniques when there are so much better techniques around today? In part, I suspect the answer is sheer laziness. It takes time to truly discipline a child. And I'm using the term, "discipline" in the proper sense of teaching good behavior. It would have initially been much less effort on my part to go and swat the kids when they were squabbling. But what would that accomplish?

It would change the squabbling into crying. But what would they have learned? They sure wouldn't have learned how to amicably solve interpersonal conflicts, that is for sure. So that approach would have never taught them behaviors that would eventually let them work out their conflicts without my intervention. And ultimately, it would have taken far more of my time to deal with what would have become constant fighting, if what I see in lots of other families is any hint.

It is sort of like the question, "Do I tie the little one's shoe laces for him or teach him to tie his own shoe laces?" Initially, it takes far more time to teach the skill than to just do it for him. But over time, it actually saves time to teach him to tie his own shoes. And if you have more than one kid, often the older one takes over the duty of teaching the younger to tie shoelaces. (They love becoming the teacher). Way too many parents want to try to raise their kids without spending a lot of time teaching. If they spend time with the kids, they want that time to always be fun, like going to the park, or going on a picnic or something. They don't enjoy teaching their children life skills, so they avoid that kind of work whenever possible.

It seems to me that there is little point in having children if you don't want to do all the teaching involved. And discipline should be teaching rather than "punishment". By sending a child into time-out, you are teaching that some behaviors are not acceptable in the company of other human beings. (Tantrums are fine in the privacy of your own room if you must have them, but nobody else wants to listen to your screaming and floor pounding, so do that in your room if you must have a tantrum.) By depriving the child of a toy or priviledge or something, you are teaching them that bad behavior results in other people being unhappy with you and refusing to allow (or help you) to get the good things in life.

Hitting kids does not teach them anything good or useful about how to behave in society. True discipline should end up with the child learning good behaviors as opposed to just scaring them into avoiding bad behaviors.
Questioner

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Wed May 30, 2007 1:17 pm

Questioner wrote:So why in the name of God would they restrict themselves to 4,000 year old child rearing techniques when there are so much better techniques around today? In part, I suspect the answer is sheer laziness. It takes time to truly discipline a child. And I'm using the term, "discipline" in the proper sense of teaching good behavior. It would have initially been much less effort on my part to go and swat the kids when they were squabbling. But what would that accomplish?

It would change the squabbling into crying. But what would they have learned?

It seems to me that everything that a child encounters is a learning experience. And to be sure, getting swatted as a response to forbidden behavior carries a lesson for a child. That lesson: problems are most effectively solved through violence. This is a lesson that seems to be perhaps the most harmful sort of thing you could teach a child, because the danger is they'll grow up thinking of violence when problems come up, rather than thinking that there might be a peaceful way to deal with them.

To be sure, there's very little chance of going through life without any sort of violence in one's life. But it's interesting to note that the last time I engaged in an actual fight was when I was in middle school over 35 years ago.

And I totally agree with you, Questioner, on the diagnosis of swatting being a sign of laziness in a parent. I look back on the times I gave my son a swat for varying offenses, and if memory serves, I was invariably at my wits' end, unwilling to take the time to deal with the problem in a manner that would have been just as or more effective. I'd probably do much better now, but it's too late for me to have another shot at parenthood. I guess I'll have to be content with looking forward to trying to become an ideal grandfather. :cry:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby A Person » Wed May 30, 2007 3:54 pm

At the school I went to in England, caning was a normal part of school life. Some teachers used it frequently, others rarely and a few never. One thing that struck me even then was how there was no shame in receiving the cane from the teachers that used it all the time. The more they used it the less effective it was - not just on the kids that got it but on the behaviour of the other kids. One teacher used it infrequently, but when he did it was brutal. Everyone was afraid of him but no one liked or respected him. It certainly seemed to me that the teachers that did not use corporal punishment were at least as effective at keeping order and more effective at teaching. Their classes were much more interactive, they encouraged discussions and seemed interested.

Our Religious Knowledge teacher (a Christian) was one of these, as was the English teacher who was a humanist, so I don't think there was a religious correlation, neither was it just age. I think it came down to their philosophy.

Oh and the brutal teacher saved me a course at university. After the the first two classes and assignment the University waived the course requirement as I obviously knew it inside out.
A Person

Postby Questioner » Thu May 31, 2007 1:20 am

A Person wrote:At the school I went to in England, caning was a normal part of school life.
From the few stories I've heard about caning, it sounds barbaric to me. I have always wondered if the teachers who used it a great deal were closet pedophiles, using caning to get their jollies. The whole thing is disgusting.
Questioner

Postby Questioner » Thu May 31, 2007 1:33 am

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:It seems to me that everything that a child encounters is a learning experience. And to be sure, getting swatted as a response to forbidden behavior carries a lesson for a child. That lesson: problems are most effectively solved through violence.
Yes, you are right. Even hitting does teach something. But what I meant was, if you want your children to stop fighting with each other, you have to teach them a different way of solving problems. They already KNOW the violent way (i.e., the fighting).

I too have noticed a lot of things parents punish kids for have more to do with the parent being tired and irritable than the kid really doing something wrong or dangerous. So the parent will swat the child when the kid is not doing anything wrong, just doing normal kid things like running around or making noise outside--where we tell children they are supposed to do their running and noise making. But if the parent is tired, headachy or irritable, they will sometimes take their negativity out on the kid--without even telling them to stop the annoying behavior sometimes.

Fussing and whining is an example of something that annoys the heck out of people. But a fussy child is most often a function of the kid being tired--or worse, a child who has learned that parents will give him/her anything wanted if only s/he fusses enough. Parents have to discipline themselves to be consistent. No has to mean no. And I cannot believe how so many young parents I see fail to set children a schedule for waking up, taking naps, and going to bed at night.

Children NEED that schedule. It helps them get the proper amount of rest and activity for their little bodies. And when parents are too selfish or disorganized to discipline themselves to set a schedule and stick to it for the child's welfare, then they end up with chronically fussy kids. Whom they then swat to stop the noise.

And to be fair (and kind), it isn't always laziness on the part of the parents. I think many people simply do not understand the psychology and physiology of children. So they don't know how to be better parents. Most love their children dearly and want to raise their kids right. But many just have never had the example of how to rear children. And of course, some are just too lazy to work through the problems in a healthy way.
Questioner

Return to WWJD?