Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

SFI Bible Study - part 40

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby RebelSnake » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:29 pm

The KJV words it just a little differently.
Proverbs 12:21 (King James Version)
21There shall no evil happen to the just: but the wicked shall be filled with mischief.

Proverbs 12:21

If men are sincerely righteous, the righteous God has engaged that no evil shall happen to them. But they that delight in mischief shall have enough of it. (Pr 12:22)

This is bible gateway's commentary and it says nothing about salvation. To the contrary, it agrees with our "interpretation" and not yours. Or are you going to tell me they got it wrong too?
RebelSnake

Postby BecauseHeLives » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:34 pm

Peace is practiced by sustaining inner calm and the absolute trust in God through the smaller daily crisis of life. God tells us that "all things work together for good", NOT that all things "are good". Many of those "things" working together for our good will not all the time appear to be good in themselves. So… even the "bad" events that might make us "go crazy" HAVE to be viewed in the context of God guiding all the events in life to a good outcome. The truth is still that "there shall no evil happen to the just".
BecauseHeLives

Postby A Person » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:45 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:The truth is still that "there shall no evil happen to the just".
So the things - like rape, murder, slow progessive debilitating disease - that do happen to the just merely appear to be evil?

If that were an insurance policy, I'd want a refund.
A Person

Postby RebelSnake » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:08 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:Many of those "things" working together for our good will not all the time appear to be good in themselves.

Being hit by a drunk driver, winding up crippled for life is for our own good? A parent receiving word their child has just died is for their own good? How about a young boy being raped by his priest? Is that for his own good too?

BecauseHeLives wrote:even the "bad" events that might make us "go crazy" HAVE to be viewed in the context of God guiding all the events in life to a good outcome.

Have to be?? I don't think so. You're trying to tell people what they can think and what they can't.

A good outcome you say. A good outcome for who?? Certainly not for the people going through all that hell it's not.
RebelSnake

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:30 pm

RebelSnake wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:even the "bad" events that might make us "go crazy" HAVE to be viewed in the context of God guiding all the events in life to a good outcome.

Have to be?? I don't think so. You're trying to tell people what they can think and what they can't.

I sort of got the impression that he was only saying that his view is the only one that makes sense... I rather doubt he'd be the sort to try and give you thinking orders... Just a guess, mind you! 8)
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby BecauseHeLives » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:39 pm

I sort of got the impression that he was only saying that his view is the only one that makes sense... I rather doubt he'd be the sort to try and give you thinking orders... Just a guess, mind you!

Bingo!

We have a winner!
BecauseHeLives

Postby RebelSnake » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:45 pm

Hey BHL, what about Prov.12:21? Are you going to admit you're wrong or what?
RebelSnake

Postby BecauseHeLives » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:55 pm

RebelSnake wrote:Hey BHL, what about Prov.12:21? Are you going to admit you're wrong or what?

You must have "selective reading" syndrome. I already answered you. But to humor you even more I will say that we don't always know why negative things happen to people. The bible tells us that sometimes it is because of the sins of the fathers or sometimes its the sin of the person. Sometimes it is neither and its for the glory of God. Christians can only continue to give glory to God for the good things and the bad things in life because we know that all things work for the good of those that love God and to them who are the called according to His purpose.

I don't expect you to understand what I just said because I know that even if you did understand what I just said that you would deny it. So what's the point?
BecauseHeLives

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:03 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:Bingo!

We have a winner!

{me bows to the audience}
Thank you, thank you!

I owe it all to clean living and a sadly underappreciated (and sometimes under-utilized) sense of empathy... 8)
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby RebelSnake » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:58 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:Quote: Prov 12:21 - No harm happens to the righteous, but the wicked are filled with trouble.

I interpret this as a reference to salvation. Salvation is a permanent thing and no harm can come to it (can't be taken away).

BecauseHeLives wrote: Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:43 am Post subject:

RebelSnake wrote: None of the verses under discussion say anything about salvation. Salvation's not even the topic.
Quote:
In other words, it surely appears that this is saying that if you follow these rules or guidelines, things will indeed be quite nice in your life

I disagree. The righteous are the justified. Those who are justified have salvation. The following previously mentioned verses do indeed pertain to salvation.

Quote: Prov 10:3 - The LORD does not let the righteous go hungry, but he thwarts the craving of the wicked.

Prov 10:24 - What the wicked dread will come upon them, but the desire of the righteous will be
granted.

Prov 12:21 - No harm happens to the righteous, but the wicked are filled with trouble

And here was my reply complete with a commentary from biblegateway.com on this particular verse.

The KJV words it just a little differently.
Quote:
Proverbs 12:21 (King James Version)
21There shall no evil happen to the just: but the wicked shall be filled with mischief.

Quote:
Proverbs 12:21

If men are sincerely righteous, the righteous God has engaged that no evil shall happen to them. But they that delight in mischief shall have enough of it. (Pr 12:22)

This is bible gateway's commentary and it says nothing about salvation. To the contrary, it agrees with our "interpretation" and not yours. Or are you going to tell me they got it wrong too?

And now you're trying to change the subject and pretend that little exchange never happened? Apparently, you're suffering from convenient memory syndrome.
RebelSnake

Previous

Return to WWJD?