Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

SFI Bible Study - Part 41

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:20 pm

As always, I hope this can be a serious study of the Christian Bible, and I only ask that those who participate try to stay away from personal-level attacks. All pertinent comments are welcome, regardless of whether you are a believer or not.

Continuing to look at the book of Proverbs, I think it should be nice to see a sample of some of the best this book has to offer in the way of wise sayings.
Prov 14:15 - The simple believe everything, but the clever consider their steps.

Prov 18:13 - If one gives answer before hearing, it is folly and shame.

Prov 18:17 - The one who first states a case seems right, until the other comes and cross-examines.

Prov 21:3 - To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

Ah, how true all these things are! And how infrequently do we see them actually followed in real life! All of these sayings strike close to home for all who cherish both morality and rationality. In particular, we see some neat statements in favor of using rational inquiry, particularly those from Chapter 18. The last verse here is another indictment, it seems, of the old system of sacrificing one’s goods in order to clothe and feed the priests.

Comments?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby RebelSnake » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:47 pm

19It is better to live in a desert land
than with a quarrelsome and fretful woman.

23Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue
keeps himself out of trouble.

Here's a couple of more good ideas to live by. I'm willing to bet that whoever wrote Prov.21:3 was a right popular fellow amoung the priesthood of his day, hmm?
RebelSnake

Postby Questioner » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:01 am

How about: Never miss a good opportunity to keep your mouth shut.

(Mark Twain? Sounds like him anyway).
Questioner

Return to WWJD?