Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

SFI Bible Study - Part 42

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:27 pm

As always, I hope this can be a serious study of the Christian Bible, and I only ask that those who participate try to stay away from personal-level attacks. All pertinent comments are welcome, regardless of whether you are a believer or not.

We finish up our look at Proverbs with some items that I think are quite strange. A few of them look to me to be flat-out cracked, but I’m sure there are some cultural differences that make for difficulty in understanding. In any case, here they are:
Prov 8:27-30 - When he established the heavens, I was there, when he drew a circle on the face of the deep, when he made firm the skies above, when he established the fountains of the deep, when he assigned to the sea its limit, so that the waters might not transgress his command, when he marked out the foundations of the earth, then I was beside him, like a master worker; and I was daily his delight, rejoicing before him always.

Prov 18:18 - Casting the lot puts an end to disputes and decides between powerful contenders.

Prov 20:24 - All our steps are ordered by the LORD; how then can we understand our own ways?

Prov 24:17,18 - Do not rejoice when your enemies fall, and do not let your heart be glad when they stumble, or else the LORD will see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from them.

Prov 25:2 - It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings to search things out.

Prov 28:14 - Happy is one who is never without fear, but one who is hard-hearted will fall into calamity.

Prov 29:12 - If a ruler listens to falsehood, all his officials will be wicked.
Beginning from the start here, we see a quote that is supposedly what “Wisdom” has to say about its role in the creation of the world. Note the flat-earth, solid-sky imagery used. Not to mention the idea that water stays within boundaries only because God set particular limits to its movement. I often wonder, when I read this, if this isn’t part of the reason that the Apostle John claims that Jesus was with God at the time of creation – because the passage here does indeed appear to be saying that God had a partner that was a separate entity.

Second, we see a hint of the importance attached to the casting of lots, even in the courts of justice. After that comes a statement that appears to say that all actions are predetermined.

Next comes something I always shake my head over. I mean, what sort of weird logic is it to say that if you are happy when your enemy falls, God will get mad at you and stop hurting your enemy?

Following this, we see that apparently the Universe is really just a game of hide-and-seek between God and kings. Or something of the sort.

The next to last one was a bit surprising to see. I assume that what is meant here is “Fear of God.” Which would tend to explain why its opposite is said to be “hard-hearted.”

Finally, I have to wonder at this interesting though overly-generalize statement concerning the moral fiber of the officials who serve a ruler who “listens to lies.” Does this sound likely to be accurate? Would it be wise to accept such a statemet even as a simple rule-of-thumb?

Comments?
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby RebelSnake » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:42 pm

Prov 20:24 - All our steps are ordered by the LORD; how then can we understand our own ways?

This one seems to me to be a strike against the free will doctrine.
RebelSnake

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:49 pm

RebelSnake wrote:

This one seems to me to be a strike against the free will doctrine.

Free will is a concept that seems to be sort of up in the air so far as the Bible is concerned. I read somewhere that looking through the Bible for overt references to the concepts of free will and predestination, that predestination comes out on top by a margin of about 2 to 1. No wonder there are so many Bible literalists who think that all humans are puppets under the rightful control of God.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby RebelSnake » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:15 pm

This verse sure scores one for the pre-destination arguement doesn't it? At the same time it raises a lot of interesting questions. Doesn't say much for a loving god either.[/quote]
RebelSnake

Return to WWJD?