Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Do American Soldiers go to Heaven?

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby C. Alice » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:36 pm

Rory wrote:I was an American solider. I served as a Marine Scout Sniper in Vietnam. I am a follower of Christ, Southern Baptist by birth. I had 67 comfirmed kills in Vietnam and 82 probables. I'm comfident that when my time on earth is done I'll be in Heaven.
I do my best to live my life according to God's teachings. How can I say this after having killed? I viewed it as saving lives. For each life I took of the enemy, I saved lives in the long run. I killed the enemy before he killed me or one of my fellow soldiers.

Rory

Whatever gets you through the long nights, I guess.
I'm not sure I'd be bragging about how many people I'd killed had I done so. More likely, were I the christian you purport to be, I'd be wondering - and angry with- my country and the twisted morality of its leaders of the etime which left me in the position of becoming a killer. We weren't defending our country during the Vietnam conflict.

Hey, anybody think the former gov. of Ohio and his national guard stooges who killed college kids " saved lives in the long run" and that they'd going to heaven?
C. Alice

Postby IgnoranceIsBliss » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:22 am

C. Alice wrote:Whatever gets you through the long nights, I guess.
I'm not sure I'd be bragging about how many people I'd killed had I done so. More likely, were I the Christian you purport to be, I'd be wondering - and angry with- my country and the twisted morality of its leaders of the time which left me in the position of becoming a killer.

Some things are impossible without blood shed. Even the Bible permits that fact. But for what cause?

We weren't defending our country during the Vietnam conflict.

It was them, or eventually us.

Hey, anybody think the former Gov. of Ohio and his national guard stooges who killed college kids " saved lives in the long run" and that they'd going to heaven?

Depends. Do they believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died on the cross, and rose 3 days later for their sin? Have they accepted him as their Savior?
IgnoranceIsBliss

Postby A Person » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:07 am

IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:

The Viet Cong was never direct threat to the US. It was the anti-communist paranoia that led the US to interfere with democratic elections (because the wrong party would likely win) and the 'better dead than red" thinking that led to direct military intervention and so much killing. The domino argument was about as sound as the weapons of mass destruction one.
A Person

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:48 pm

A Person wrote:
IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:

The Viet Cong was never direct threat to the US. It was the anti-communist paranoia that led the US to interfere with democratic elections (because the wrong party would likely win) and the 'better dead than red" thinking that led to direct military intervention and so much killing. The domino argument was about as sound as the weapons of mass destruction one.

<sarcasm>

Germany was never a DIRECT threat either. It must have been the anti-nazi paranoia that led us to interfere with the democratic elections of Germany and her attempts to reclaim land that rightfully belonged to them.

</sarcasm>
BecauseHeLives

Postby The Rain King » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Rory wrote:I was an American solider. I served as a Marine Scout Sniper in Vietnam. I am a follower of Christ, Southern Baptist by birth. I had 67 comfirmed kills in Vietnam and 82 probables. I'm comfident that when my time on earth is done I'll be in Heaven.
Rory

"67" !? Whew. Considering the record for an American is 103, and Hathcock himself is listed as having 93 confirmed... You much man, Rory. Thanks for your service.
The Rain King

Postby A Person » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:48 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:<sarcasm>

Germany was never a DIRECT threat either. It must have been the anti-nazi paranoia that led us to interfere with the democratic elections of Germany and her attempts to reclaim land that rightfully belonged to them.

</sarcasm>
Funny, I thought it was a DIRECT attack on the US that brought the US into WWII against Japan and Germany. Don't US schools teach history either?

Since the US lost Vietnam and the Viet Cong did not prove to be a threat to the US, that argument fails. Much like the weapons of mass destruction that did not materialise either.

There are few parallels between WWII and Vietnam, other than they were both wars.
A Person

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:52 pm

A Person wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:<sarcasm>

</sarcasm>
Funny, I thought it was a DIRECT attack on the US that brought the US into WWII against Japan and Germany. Don't US schools teach history either?

Since the US lost Vietnam and the Viet Cong did not prove to be a threat to the US, that argument fails. Much like the weapons of mass destruction that did not materialise either.

There are few parallels between WWII and Vietnam, other than they were both wars.

Unfortunately, you don't understand your history very well. The US would have went to war with Germany without the attack on PH. One of the reason Japan attacked PH was to keep the US too busy to fight Germany. Didn't work. You should be lucky we saved your queen.
BecauseHeLives

Postby A Person » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:18 pm

The direct attack on Pearl Harbor disproves your claim that the US was not directly threatened. The threat was real as was proved by the attack.

Logic, it's a wonderful thing, you should try it sometime.

Japan had no interest in drawing the fire of the US away from Germany, the attack was a preemptive assault to eliminate the US Pacific Fleet as a factor against Japan's military objectives in the Pacific.

BTW I am not a royalist. I would be extremely happy to see the end of the undemocratic, over privileged, inbred monarchy, if it could be achieved without bloodshed. I also do recognise and appreciate American efforts in the World War. It's one reason why Britain is a firm ally of the US, a relationship that has become increasingly strained as the Bush administration has abused its relationships with all its allies.
A Person

Postby BecauseHeLives » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:30 pm

The direct attack on Pearl Harbor disproves your claim that the US was not directly threatened. The threat was real as was proved by the attack.

Logic, it's a wonderful thing, you should try it sometime.

2+2=4 therefore its wrong to kill baby kittens. Your conclusion isn't based on any logic at all but instead on comments that I never made at all. Apparently you missed the sarcasm tags in my first comment and I was discussing Germany doofus. Common sense is a wonderful thing, you should try it sometime.

Japan had no interest in drawing the fire of the US away from Germany, the attack was a preemptive assault to eliminate the US Pacific Fleet as a factor against Japan's military objectives in the Pacific.

I suppose Japan allying itself with Germany in 1940 had no affect on their decisions? Sure, the attack was to disable the Pacific fleet but it was also to draw supplies and resources away from the war in Europe.
BecauseHeLives

Postby A Person » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:55 pm

I did not miss the <sarcasm> tags, I understood you to mean that you considered that Germany wasn't a DIRECT threat, but the US went to war anyway.

If I misunderstood then I apologize. If you agree that America entered WWII because she was directly threatened and attacked by the Axis, then we have no disagreement.
A Person

Postby Rory » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:50 pm

There really isn't much to compare when you're looking at Vietnam and World War II. But from a soldiers standpoint it doesn't really matter. I got a draft letter saying I had to report to my local draft board. I figured since I was going to be headed to the military anyway I might as well pick which branch to serve. I chose the Marines because if I was going to have to go to battle I wanted to be trained by and solidering next to the best.
Vietnam was a war of survial. You're were fighting for the man to your left and the one on your right.

I firmly belive that every human life is precious. I don't boast about what I did and this is one of the few times when I've talked about the war. I saw a cartoon once that showed this Marine standing in front of the gates of Heaven talking to Saint Peter. The soilder asked if they were going to let him in after all he'd done on earth. Saint Peter looked at the Marine and said, "Son we welcome you into Heaven because you've already been through hell."
Rory

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:22 pm

I do my best to live my life according to God's teachings. How can I say this after having killed? I viewed it as saving lives. For each life I took of the enemy, I saved lives in the long run. I killed the enemy before he killed me or one of my fellow soldiers.

Rory

Do you honestly believe that? You murdered at least 67 people in an evil war of Imperialism...you most certainly will NOT be welcome in God's kingdom. Anyone that thinks that someone that has chosen to kill for a living is going to heaven is about as far from God as you can get.

Postby BecauseHeLives » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:05 pm

Guest wrote:

Rory

Do you honestly believe that? You murdered at least 67 people in an evil war of Imperialism...you most certainly will NOT be welcome in God's kingdom. Anyone that thinks that someone that has chosen to kill for a living is going to heaven is about as far from God as you can get.

How many people did Paul kill before he met Christ? Moses murdered as well.

God's Grace is sufficient.
BecauseHeLives

Postby Liv » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:08 pm

Which springs to mind a new question "If you accidentally kill someone, Can you still get into heaven?"
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby BecauseHeLives » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:13 pm

Liv wrote:Which springs to mind a new question "If you accidentally kill someone, Can you still get into heaven?"

There is NOTHING that you can do that will prevent you from entering heaven. However there is one thing that you DON'T do that will.
BecauseHeLives

Postby Sanjuro » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Liv wrote:Which springs to mind a new question "If you accidentally kill someone, Can you still get into heaven?"

There is NOTHING that you can do that will prevent you from entering heaven. However there is one thing that you DON'T do that will.

Wait, so you're saying that guy who shot up that gym was right and is kickin it with JC as we speak?
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby BecauseHeLives » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:44 pm

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:

Wait, so you're saying that guy who shot up that gym was right and is kickin it with JC as we speak?

No. I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that Jesus died for all our sins (past, present and future). When we accept Christ as Lord then we have a changed heart and do not wish to sin. No created thing can EVER seperate us from God's love. The Holy Spirit also spanks us spiritually when we do sin. I can't speak for this man but outwardly It doesn't appear that he had any relationship with the Lord.

Romans 8
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

3 9Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Everything that is was created. Even Satan was created. So NOTHING can seperate the saved from the love of God.
BecauseHeLives

Postby Sanjuro » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:15 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:No. I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that Jesus died for all our sins (past, present and future). When we accept Christ as Lord then we have a changed heart and do not wish to sin. No created thing can EVER seperate us from God's love. The Holy Spirit also spanks us spiritually when we do sin. I can't speak for this man but outwardly It doesn't appear that he had any relationship with the Lord.

But that's exactly what he said! That exact thing... almost verbatim .... that no matter what he did, all sins were already paid for because he had accepted Jesus. What makes him wrong and you right? Nothing but your invisible buddy and your self-justification.
Sanjuro

Postby BecauseHeLives » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:21 pm

Sanjuro wrote:
BecauseHeLives wrote:No. I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that Jesus died for all our sins (past, present and future). When we accept Christ as Lord then we have a changed heart and do not wish to sin. No created thing can EVER seperate us from God's love. The Holy Spirit also spanks us spiritually when we do sin. I can't speak for this man but outwardly It doesn't appear that he had any relationship with the Lord.

But that's exactly what he said! That exact thing... almost verbatim .... that no matter what he did, all sins were already paid for because he had accepted Jesus. What makes him wrong and you right? Nothing but your invisible buddy and your self-justification.

No. It's not what he said. Many people can say they accept Jesus (which I didn't see anywhere in the article that he did) but a true Christian is known by his changed heart and commitment to the Lord. Believe = commit. Still praying for you San.
BecauseHeLives

Postby Sanjuro » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:26 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:

No. It's not what he said. Many people can say they accept Jesus (which I didn't see anywhere in the article that he did) but a true Christian is known by his changed heart and commitment to the Lord. Believe = commit. Still praying for you San.

You obviously didn't read the mans website. Still accepting your condescension BH..
Sanjuro

Postby BecauseHeLives » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:42 pm

Sanjuro wrote:You obviously didn't read the mans website. Still accepting your condescension BH..

Your idea of condescending is anyone who disagrees with your intolerant world view so I'm OK with that. Why hate God? He does love you.
BecauseHeLives

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:05 am

St. Joan of Arc and St. George where military men and the greatest was Joshua. As I catholic I have read the RSV Catholic RSV version Holy Bible. You must confess your sins. When you come back from war and you take the holy eucharist and it doesn't burn or the sacristy doesn't burn your throat. Jesus has already forgiven you and to ask for forgiveness how can Jesus forgive you if you can't forgive yourself. You've heard of the mark of cain and all of hells promises of getting your soul to save your life but I think if you look at the bible furthur you'll see Military men such as yourself where but in a dire situation for a better life and to feed your families. Never make a pact with the devil under any circumstances. When you die that's what determines where you go but as a Catholic each time I take Eucharist and my rosary and bible doesn't burn I know I'm forgiven and I'll go to heaven. Please forgive yourself..........please Rites of Initaition for Adults meets every wed at Catholic Churches all over the world and our Pope Bendict was involved in World War 2. Yet he became a redemed man with the priesthood and became a pope. As I live through my life why am I damning myself when god gave me 100 free will years to enjoy life on earth any way possible. My dad served in Vietnam we go to mass together he thought as you did. Don't believe the fanaticals belief the priest.
Please forgive yourself.
Recommended reads
Lifes of the saints ST. George
ST. Alexander
St. Joan of arc
St. Joshua

God bless you
Jennifer Gwen Ross

Postby BecauseHeLives » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:53 pm

Guest wrote:St. Joan of Arc and St. George where military men and the greatest was Joshua. As I catholic I have read the RSV Catholic RSV version Holy Bible. You must confess your sins. When you come back from war and you take the holy eucharist and it doesn't burn or the sacristy doesn't burn your throat. Jesus has already forgiven you and to ask for forgiveness how can Jesus forgive you if you can't forgive yourself. You've heard of the mark of cain and all of hells promises of getting your soul to save your life but I think if you look at the bible furthur you'll see Military men such as yourself where but in a dire situation for a better life and to feed your families. Never make a pact with the devil under any circumstances. When you die that's what determines where you go but as a Catholic each time I take Eucharist and my rosary and bible doesn't burn I know I'm forgiven and I'll go to heaven. Please forgive yourself..........please Rites of Initaition for Adults meets every wed at Catholic Churches all over the world and our Pope Bendict was involved in World War 2. Yet he became a redemed man with the priesthood and became a pope. As I live through my life why am I damning myself when god gave me 100 free will years to enjoy life on earth any way possible. My dad served in Vietnam we go to mass together he thought as you did. Don't believe the fanaticals belief the priest.
Please forgive yourself.
Recommended reads
Lifes of the saints ST. George
ST. Alexander
St. Joan of arc
St. Joshua

God bless you
Jennifer Gwen Ross

Where in the bible is the passage on fogiving yourself. There is but one who can forgive sins. It isn't Mary, it isn't the preist. It certainly isn't the pope. It is God Himself through the blood of Jesus Christ.

The ONLY thing that determines where you go when you die is whther you have accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and saviour. Absolutely nothing else.
BecauseHeLives

Postby A Person » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Guest wrote:When you come back from war and you take the holy eucharist and it doesn't burn or the sacristy doesn't burn your throat. Jesus has already forgiven you

That's pretty sure then - unless an atheist with a sense of humour gets into the cracker bakery with a pot of cayenne

Although I don't see how the sacristy (the room for storing and putting on the magic dresses) could ever burn your throat unless the priests panties were on fire.
A Person

Postby Liv » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:40 pm

I snuck into catholic mass one time with my aunt and uncle and did communion though I was explained afterwards that's a "no no" being a Methodist at the time.... Tasted just like wine to me... with was REALLY upsetting as all my church ever used was grape juice.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

PreviousNext

Return to WWJD?