Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

I'm an Easter widower!

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:45 am

So this is Holy Week. Time for the "two-timing Christians" (you know: the folks who attend church two times a year, Christmas day and Easter) to dig into their closets, pull out their dust-covered Spring finery and weird-ass hats and get ready to go to the churches where their names are on the rolls.

Course, that's not how things go at my home. Nope, we're far more regular in our attendance at church, and for the regular attenders, the church has a lot of stuff planned out. Palm Sunday is just the start. Thursday is "Maundy Thursday." Which I have never learned what that means... but they get together to celebrate the Last Supper. Our old church used to do a covered dish supper (Baptists are great for this) and have a short service afterwards to do the "Lord's Supper" thingy. At my wife's church, they just do a solemn service and share communion. So my wife went for that and I stayed home with the cats to watch basketball.

Good Friday comes next, and that's a much bigger deal. Last year, I went to attend the festivities. They had a TV set up to show "The Passion of the Christ." Apparently, I got treated to the freaking Director's Cut. My wife jabbed me when she caught me giggling. Oh well. But they also have this big service to commemorate Jesus' death. I expect to be alone for quite a while. There's no point in my attending this when the preacher I like so much isn't there...

Saturday is a bit of a interregnum. But they hold an Easter Egg hunt that morning for the kids, and my wife will be out to help with that. So I'll be missing her then as well.

Then comes Easter itself. Oy, the stuff they do! Sunrise services (and the Lutherans do it by gosh AT Sunrise! None of this weak-ass Baptist "We'll get together at 8:00 and SAY it was a sunrise service!" BS), and the big honkin' main service that lasts upwards of 2 hours, so they can get in every possible fanfare, prayer, scripture reading and hymn they can pile together. Followed by a church-wide dinner. I'm expecting to attend the main service... it's not the most fun thing to go in for, but it's important to my wife, so there you go. Except for the dinner. Luckily, I have an invite from my family in Siler City that trumps the church dinner. I'll have to thank them.

So anyway... It's all a pretty weird time for me when Easter rolls around. I know some folks here are big fans, so I'll go ahead and wish them all a Happy Easter. May you find comfort and joy in your special day.

Cheers!
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Liv » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:46 pm

Dad used to drag us to Candlelight service in Bullhead for sometime before I just couldn't take it anymore, and said enough.

Sadly you could toss me in a methodist service this moment and I could lead the whole darn thing....
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to WWJD?