Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Atheist = The Dungeon People

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby shannon » Mon May 19, 2008 2:39 pm

I just thought I'd share with you another example of knowledge and Theocracy in our area. Yesterday at work I was attempting to discuss social concepts with my "brilliant"co-worker. I was telling her about the show 30 Days and I was mentioning to her some of the episodes. I brought up the episode about the Atheist living with the family of Evangelical Christians. A customer walks up to the counter near the end of our discussion. My "genius" co-worker asks what an Atheist is. I simply told her thinking that any reasonable person would understand. She says, not joking, "Oh is they one of them Dungeon people or something?" After I must have given her a weird look the customer chimes in and says, " No that means they worship the Devil like their God." I grabbed my face and shook my head. Are people really this deluded? I tried to further explain and after the customer walked away, my co-worker still just couldn't grasp the concept. I eventually just gave up and pondered why this is the girl that just got a raise again. While I've been making practically the same salary for 4 years she just got a raise for stupidity. This is the same one I had to explain "prejudice" to. I'm starting to think that the "no religion" rule at work is not to avoid conflict but to keep people from enlightenment. You see if they start the thinking process that will lead to questioning authority and soon there will be employees creating chaos everywhere.
shannon
Fire up the Quattro

Postby Liv » Mon May 19, 2008 4:18 pm

Atheist = Gay, Satanic, Barbaric, Unintelligent, Law breakers who show up outside your window at night and watch you in your sleep. Watch out!
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby Sanjuro » Mon May 19, 2008 5:14 pm

Welcome to my world Shannon. I think my face spends more time in my hand than on my pillow. :lol:
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby A Person » Mon May 19, 2008 6:11 pm

Liv wrote:Atheist = Gay, Satanic, Barbaric, Unintelligent, Law breakers who show up outside your window at night and watch you in your sleep. Watch out!

Well Duh, how else can we assault, rob, burgle, murder and rape?

OK - what's the best one liner definition of an atheist?

I rather like "Someone who believes in one less god than you"

(of course that only works if you are talking to a monotheist, but that's usually a safe bet)
A Person

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon May 19, 2008 6:20 pm

Whenever I encounter someone who has this warped perception of atheists, I do my best to enlighten their ignorance and show them that we are hardly any different from them in daily life. Sure, we view life and death in different ways, but most of the time, those differences don't amount to much.

Generally, I find that such people are glad to learn that they are mistaken, and I have developed many happy friendships through those efforts. Hasn't happened EVERY time, I'm sad to say. But the few failures don't mean that the efforts aren't worth carrying out.
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Postby Serendipitous » Mon May 19, 2008 6:54 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:...I do my best to enlighten their ignorance and show them that we are hardly any different from them in daily life.

This is so true for just about any kind of difference. I hate it when someone says something like, "He's an atheist, but he's nice"... Huh?! seriously WTF? What is that supposed to mean??? And I think we've all seen or experienced it when someone learns something about you (or another person) and begins to treat you (or others) differently because of it... whether it is negative or positive... :?

Yesterday The Little Princess (Shirley Temple) was on. One of my fave parts is where Sarah first arrives at the boarding school and at first, she and her father are told that there isn't any space available. Then when the headmistress realizes that Sarah's father has $$$, she changes her tune.

Sara Crewe: I thought you said you didn't have any more rooms.
Amanda Minchin of Minchin Seminary for Girls: I didn't know then what a dear little girl was coming.
Sara Crewe: Why does that make more rooms, Daddy?
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Postby Liv » Mon May 19, 2008 7:13 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:Whenever I encounter someone who has this warped perception of atheists, I do my best to enlighten their ignorance and show them that we are hardly any different from them in daily life. Sure, we view life and death in different ways, but most of the time, those differences don't amount to much.

....That night a brick goes through your window...
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Mon May 19, 2008 7:42 pm

Liv wrote:
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:Whenever I encounter someone who has this warped perception of atheists, I do my best to enlighten their ignorance and show them that we are hardly any different from them in daily life. Sure, we view life and death in different ways, but most of the time, those differences don't amount to much.

....That night a brick goes through your window...

That's my wife's biggest fear. She seems to have something of a low opinion of her fellow-believers. Which I find very interesting. 8)
SouthernFriedInfidel

Postby IgnoranceIsBliss » Mon May 19, 2008 10:40 pm

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:That's my wife's biggest fear. She seems to have something of a low opinion of her fellow-believers. Which I find very interesting. 8)

Well, at least she isn't like the rest of you.

Low opinions of everyone. :)
IgnoranceIsBliss

Postby Sanjuro » Mon May 19, 2008 11:07 pm

IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:That's my wife's biggest fear. She seems to have something of a low opinion of her fellow-believers. Which I find very interesting. 8)

Well, at least she isn't like the rest of you.

Your smile says you're joking, but your typing fingers say you're not. 8)
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby IgnoranceIsBliss » Tue May 20, 2008 1:40 am

Sanjuro wrote:
Your smile says you're joking, but your typing fingers say you're not. 8)

Was that a smile? My bad...

:x
IgnoranceIsBliss

Postby SouthernFriedInfidel » Tue May 20, 2008 11:16 am

IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:Well, at least she isn't like the rest of you.

Well personally, my policy is love the believer, and dis the belief.

In a manner of speaking, of course... :lol:
SouthernFriedInfidel

Return to WWJD?