Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Mary's Hymen

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby Liv » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:46 pm

So I was watching one of 'Faith Film's' movies yesterday. (2012: Doomsday) The sound was horrid, the story made me queasy... honestly it was a horrendous movie.... that aside, it brought up a question I never had thought about. If Mary was a virgin, (and not a lying teenager who got a bit randy with the neighbor one night) then her hymen should have been in place during her pregnancy, and surely someone would have checked, correct? So the question arises is it scientifically possible to be pregnant and have a intact hymen. Apparently so. So that would make Mary, no different then tons of other college kids whom go and get drunk, and find themselves waking up not remembering the night before.... or she's a complete liar whom got ironically lucky... or it indeed it was immaculate?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:41 pm

I think this is where Joel would storm off in a huff (or a huff and a half) declaring that there can be no discussion if you're going to be disrespectful of the mother of Christ.

I don't have personal experience with more than a handful of hymens, but like many other pieces of anatomy there is quite a lot of natural variation, so this article does not surprise me.

The Bible doesn't refer to Mary's hymen at all, just that she claimed 'had not known man'. Apparently the production of the bed linen as prescribed in Leviticus was not carried out. If this bit was not completely made up to fulfil Old Testament prophecy of course. It seems unlikely that, given the mores of the time, either Joseph or Mary would discuss this in public so that it could be written about some 60 years later.

There is a description of some of the ways to fake virginity in Fanny Hill. Deflowering virgins was important in pre-antibiotic days as it a) insured that the girl was not infected with venereal disease and b) was thought that having sex with a virgin cured venereal diseases.
A Person

Postby C. Alice » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Oh yeah. Joel's not going to like this anymore than he did my discussion of Biblical warnings to the women of earth about horny angels, or AP's mention of God's Wang, or he group discussions of the surgically modified Penis of Jesus. and God's mooning of Moses.

In fact, the expression " Mary's Hymen" may become the newest Official Magic Phrase of Greensboring, G0ddammit! . You can never have too many of 'em!
C. Alice

Postby Sanjuro » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:40 pm

C. Alice wrote: In fact, the expression " Mary's Hymen" may become the newest Official Magic Phrase of Greensboring, G0ddammit! . You can never have too many of 'em!

Um, that's "G0ddammit, BHL!" thank you very much...
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby C. Alice » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:18 pm

Sanjuro wrote:
C. Alice wrote: In fact, the expression " Mary's Hymen" may become the newest Official Magic Phrase of Greensboring, G0ddammit! . You can never have too many of 'em!

Um, that's "G0ddammit, BHL!" thank you very much...

which takes it from being our " Official Magic Word" to an " Official Magic Phrase" as well. Or as the Official Alaskan Lipsticked Pig would say " also."
I also vote for " god's balls." Sounds very UK-nian. Liv would appreciate that.
C. Alice

Postby A Person » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:30 am

C. Alice wrote: I also vote for " god's balls." Sounds very UK-nian. Liv would appreciate that.

No self respecting Briton would say "God's Balls".

It would be "God's Bollocks" as the antithesis to the 'Dog's Bollocks'
A Person

Postby C. Alice » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:25 pm

A Person wrote:
C. Alice wrote: I also vote for " god's balls." Sounds very UK-nian. Liv would appreciate that.

No self respecting Briton would say "God's Balls".

It would be "God's Bollocks" as the antithesis to the 'Dog's Bollocks'

Vous avais raison, mais... the term " bollocks" wouldn't be familiar enough to most US fundies to make their hair hurt, whereas my suggested expression marries UK blasphemy to good ol' US cussing and might just produce the desired effect!
C. Alice

Postby Questioner » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:09 pm

Liv wrote:So I was watching one of 'Faith Film's' movies yesterday. (2012: Doomsday) The sound was horrid, the story made me queasy... honestly it was a horrendous movie.... that aside, it brought up a question I never had thought about. If Mary was a virgin, (and not a lying teenager who got a bit randy with the neighbor one night) then her hymen should have been in place during her pregnancy, and surely someone would have checked, correct? So the question arises is it scientifically possible to be pregnant and have a intact hymen. Apparently so. So that would make Mary, no different then tons of other college kids whom go and get drunk, and find themselves waking up not remembering the night before.... or she's a complete liar whom got ironically lucky... or it indeed it was immaculate?

Of course it is possible to get pregnant without actual intercourse that breaks the hymen. It is pretty uncommon of course, but it sure happens. That is why we tell teenagers that when they get into heavy petting, it is possible for the girl to get pregnant if the ejaculate ends up at the mouth of the vagina. Those little sperm are quite agile and can swim right up to the cervix, get through, swim up the uterus, into the fallopian tube, and there sits a little egg. Bingo! A halfling no longer.
Questioner

Postby Karma Singh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:50 pm

Liv wrote:....... her hymen should have been in place during her pregnancy, and surely someone would have checked, correct?

Well Folks and Folkesses,
the real problem with all this is that Mary and The Virgin Birth did not actually make an appearance in Christian mythology until the ninth century by which time even checking her bones let alone her virginity whould have been quite difficult.

Blessed be

Karma Singh
Karma Singh

Postby Liv » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:20 pm

Virgin birth....

Evidence suggests the mother snake has had multiple virgin births, producing 22 baby snakes that have no father.
More than that, the genetic make-up of the baby snakes is unlike any previously recorded among vertebrates, the group which includes almost all animals with a backbone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 139971.stm
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to WWJD?