Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

The Love of Mary Magdalene

Or Allah for that matter?

Postby Liv » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:56 am

[youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44x52Yvhefs[/youtubevideo]

So I watched Bloodline. It's a documentary where they all but practically dig up Mary Magdalene's body in France, after she and Jesus fled Jerusalem with their unborn baby. It's real life Davinci Code stuff... and I've got to admit the footage gave me goosebumps, and more excited about religion then anything I've seen recently. Here's the thing though... Why the movie purports the idea of Jesus being "only" man and not God, if indeed he's found not to have resurrected but continued to live for 22 days after the "cross" fiasco, and left this earth by natural means leaving his girlfriend knocked up, single and rich... a "earth shattering" concept.... Isn't this a much greater story? A Story of love? Why would "the church" silence a story about "love"??? The most important, wildest concept mankind could ever embrace?

Perhaps it's "The Church" which is the evil one? Perhaps it is nothing more than a mechanism of control over mankind's wealth & destiny? Perhaps it's the true christian message of a man who devoted himself to something greater, not to die on a cross, but for the love of his partner in this world?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby BecauseHeLives » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:25 am

If Jesus was NOT sinless and was NOT God and did NOT die on the cross and did NOT raise Himself 3 days later then every one of us is 100 percent certain to be damned to hell regardless of what we do on this earth.

That's why.
BecauseHeLives

Postby Sanjuro » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:28 am

Yup... BHL= black... and.. white.
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Postby A Person » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:07 am

I think BHL is agnostic, because clearly he has a tiny sliver of doubt about Jesus

There are no Christians only agnostics and liars.
A Person

Postby triadfreedom.blogspot.com » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:39 am

triadfreedom.blogspot.com

Postby Liv » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:39 pm

BecauseHeLives wrote:If Jesus was NOT sinless and was NOT God and did NOT die on the cross and did NOT raise Himself 3 days later then every one of us is 100 percent certain to be damned to hell regardless of what we do on this earth.

That's why.

So I've got to ask.... and I'm not sure if you're familiar with the movie or not... so:

In the movie, they find this burial chamber, unfortunately it's separated by about 15 feet of rock except for a small crevice they were able to stick a camera through. In it they found numerous items of wealth and religion, and a body which they were able to DNA sequence for ethnicity but not sex, etc.... it came back from the middle east.
Now assuming this is Mary, and let's say Jesus is in the room next to her. If this can be 99% proven with current forensics....

How would you react? I don't think it would necessarily deter your religious beliefs, just change portions of it... or would you reject religion? Or would you simply still not believe the facts?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:12 pm

How would we know it was Jesus? We don't know what his DNA looks like* so even if his name was tattooed on his forehead and his tomb was marked "Here lies Jesus, King of the Jews" that wouldn't be proof that it was Jesus, merely that someone wanted people to think it was.

*Unless you want to issue a paternity order to God to see what his DNA looks like - it should be something pretty special. I suppose if you found a stretch of DNA that was coded "© Yahweh & Sons, May 1, 1 BC" it would be a clincher.
A Person

Postby IgnoranceIsBliss » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:50 pm

Liv wrote:So I've got to ask.... and I'm not sure if you're familiar with the movie or not... so:

In the movie, they find this burial chamber, unfortunately it's separated by about 15 feet of rock except for a small crevice they were able to stick a camera through. In it they found numerous items of wealth and religion, and a body which they were able to DNA sequence for ethnicity but not sex, etc.... it came back from the middle east.
Now assuming this is Mary, and let's say Jesus is in the room next to her. If this can be 99% proven with current forensics....

How would you react? I don't think it would necessarily deter your religious beliefs, just change portions of it... or would you reject religion? Or would you simply still not believe the facts?

Nothing would change. Just as you might call what Jesus did for us a lie, I'd scream conspiracy, lock myself in a room with nothing but clocks...only appearing at night to feed on the blood of your cattle.

Of course I'd hang to that 1%. :D
IgnoranceIsBliss

Postby Liv » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:46 pm

I figured that might be a response... but certainly with modern forensics, we could come up with something to match, could we not? I'm not quite sure what "stuff" survived but given that someone may have preserved a body, and if we accept the possibility it is "marys" or "jesuses"... then one might assume other documentation, enough to question doubt in the minds of many believers, and skeptics?
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to WWJD?