·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Ford Taurus Turn Signals Don't Work.

by Liv | Published on March 8th, 2009, 4:06 pm | Sports
WD40sources.jpg
I just had to post this for anyone who comes along. Also the story was quite humorous to me.

My grandfather whom passed away a few years ago is someone I admired dearly and oddly enough use to call WD-40 "skunk-piss" as long as I can remember. If there was a problem, WD-40 was the answer. To find one of the family's homes without a can of WD-40 would be rare. It's in the family genetic code. The man was a walking billboard for the stuff and literally kept a travel size bottle in the trunk of his car for those emergency situations.... so I suppose it's no surprise that "his" car, the one I was given after Grandma passed away would be fixed with something as simple as a few squirts of WD-40.

You see it all started last week. The car had successfully driven from Toledo to NC, and we've been slowly swapping our driving between my 95 Green Taurus and Grandma's 93 Gold Taurus.... Building trust. Then a few days ago we hear this weird noise on the way into the dentist. We pull over and it's the heat shielding off the catalytic converter. No biggie... I'm familiar with colder climates and there capability for rusting exhaust parts into oblivion.... So we get back in and keep driving.... it's from that point on we realize the turn signals aren't working.

So I spent several days trying to figure it out with no luck. Went through all the fuses both under the hood and in the fuse box but everything was fine. I really hadn't ever experienced something like this... because generally when a bulb goes the others still work just quicker.... and I mean what engineer would design a car's electrical system to fail completely if 1 bulb goes.... I knew it wasn't the blinker.... those usually get slower before they go.... so I was leaning towards a relay, when I stumbled upon some random thread of Ford owners with suspiciously similar failed turn signals.

Someone mentioned squirting wd-40 down into the emergency flasher switch and cycling the emergency flasher switch several times... said it works like a charm...

Then multiple, and previously frustrated Ford owners began running out to there car and trying it: "Success."

Now I'm not a fan of squirting anything liquid in nowhere electrical... but short on electrical cleaner... I said what the heck, and guess what?

It worked....

...as did my turn signals... they magically started blinking... and the Taurus which I'll be lending to mom and dad this week won't require the use of hand signals to drive.... More to the point, I get my leather seats back in the 95 from Shannon....

So if you happen to stumble upon this page and find your turn signals not working in your ford vehicle... break out my grandfather's favorite product "Skunk piss" and spray in in your emergency blinker button!

See it all makes sense now... when we pulled over to check the rattle, I engaged the 4-way emergency button...since it isn't used all that often it got stuck internally, one of the connections stuck, and voila... instant flasher failure....

Great post Liv. I like these DIY fixes. And I love the Taurus. I have a 2000 I inherited from my Dad.
Now I have question for you about my truck and maybe you'll know a quick fix for her. I have a 1976 F-250 and the wipers won't work. I came home in the rain one night, and instead of turning the wipers off, I just turned off the ignition, leaving the wipers half way up the windshield. Off course the next time I needed to drive the truck, there was 6 inches of snow on the windshield. When I started the truck, I noticed the position of the wipers and immediately shut her down and freed the blades from the ice and snow. Sadly the damage had been done and the wipers would not move. Could I have blown a fuse and if so, do the wipers have their own circuit with a fuse? All the writing on the fuse box has worn off and the fuses look alright but I've not actually pulled them or put a meter on them. If the fuse isn't the problem, do you think the motor burned out?
March 8th, 2009, 6:31 pm
Nfidel

I'd always work from the cheapest conclusion first and move forward.... definitely check the fuses... I'm not sure on a 1976... My dad had a 64... and that was an electrical nightmare.... My Granada was 76, and it had a fairly well sorted out electrical system by then so I'd assumed it would be the same in your case....

I'm guessing it has the old glass type in line fuses.... so it might be easy to see which one is blown just looking with a flash light.... otherwise a small flat head screwdriver under the metal tips will pry each one out for closer examination....

It could be the motor.... but I've yet to have one of those die on me.... Especially with the cold, and wet... it could have gotten in there somehow and seized it up.... Other then beating on it a bit I don't believe they're serviceable....
You could definitely pull the pig-tail and plug a little 12v test light into the circuit to make sure you're getting power....
March 9th, 2009, 7:51 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Thanks Liv, the problem was a blown fuse. That's what I'd first suspected but a cursory inspection with a flashlight caused me to believe no fuses were blown.
March 13th, 2009, 7:52 am
Nfidel

I've had it happen to me... I always pull them one by one.. because sometimes I miss one.
March 14th, 2009, 6:35 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Sports