·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

A sport for REAL MEN in Wales: Bog Snorkeling

by SouthernFriedInfidel | Published on July 8th, 2009, 7:59 am | Sports
Bog snorkeling. I'd be down with that.

A little bit too icky for me... I'd be to afraid of snakes.... you should put it on your bucket list SFI!

That cheese rolling thing is in mine...
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
July 8th, 2009, 10:52 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:A little bit too icky for me... I'd be to afraid of snakes.... you should put it on your bucket list SFI!

I wouldn't be too concerned about snakes if I have on a kevlar dry suit -- that that would kind of defeat the purpose of the sport, wouldn't it? :lol:
July 8th, 2009, 11:40 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
No dangerous snakes in the British Isles

There are a lot of silly rural legends about bogs 'sucking people down' When I was a student I spent a lot of time in the Yorkshire and Welsh hills and for a bet I would prove them wrong. I'd let them select the most evil looking bog, take a running jump as far as I could and then swim/crawl out.

Peat bogs look bad but they are quite benign. The peat adds tannins which give them the brown colour but the tannins are astringent and antiseptic.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
July 8th, 2009, 11:48 am
A Person

The daring thrill of adventure may be ego building enough for "Real Men", but I know a lot of women that would be drawn to the peat bog for the astringent properties. The boys better not holler too loudly. They'll draw an eager group of women anxious for a free spa treatment. I mean who doesn't like a clarifying mud mask and full body algae wrap once in a while to feel like a true princess?
"Are you disrespecting me and my family?"
July 8th, 2009, 5:14 pm
shannon
Try My Cupcakes.

Next time you're in Wales go for it. The best ones are the ones with a 'porridge' of peat and water, on a sunny day they can be warm and refreshing and you'll smell like a garden center for days.

I didn't notice too many women lining up to join me. Only one in fact.

Don't wear your best underwear

bog swimming.jpg
July 8th, 2009, 5:35 pm
A Person

It's back again.... if only I had the money (and time) to fly over!!!!

But the August Bank Holiday is traditionally the time of year when hundreds of competitors from around the globe descend upon Llanwrtyd Wells for the wackiest sporting weekend in Britain – The World Bog Snorkelling Championships.

Kitted up with the traditional mask, snorkel and flippers and the best fancy dress to be seen, the contenders must complete two consecutive lengths of the muddy bog using only their flippers!

The competition is open to anyone over the age of 14 and the fastest times are recorded in the Guiness Book of Records.

This year marks the 25th Anniversary of the splashtastic sport, so it promises to be more wacky than ever! cite
August 26th, 2010, 9:51 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Sports