·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

US hopes to land Olympics again.

by SouthernFriedInfidel | Published on September 29th, 2009, 6:32 am | Sports
President Obama will be heading off to have a chat with the IOC about giving the 2016 Games to Chicago.

Apparently, the strongest contender to beat out is Rio in Brazil. Personally, I would prefer to see South America get its first Olympics. Chicago can try to land them in 2020.

Chicago? Chicago? WTF? Why not Greensboro? Why not some place where they don't have a musical named after them? Don't give me infrastructure or cost.... Chicago?
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
September 29th, 2009, 7:37 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Okay... I'm sick and tired of this... and I'm started to agree with Republicans. "Who the frak cares about the damn Olympics...." I voted for you to get me health care....

You want to get us the olympics, screw Chicago, how about Detroit where thousands are currently unemployed.

Worse yet, to the rest of the world, if we do get the olympics, it's going to look like big fat rich America stuck its face in the worlds business and took the games because they always get their way....

Obama.... go home and get us health care like a president should.
October 1st, 2009, 2:28 pm
Liv

Yeah, this work on landing the Olympics is a bit far fetched. If Chicago lands it, good for them. I hope they can keep street crime down to manageable levels during the events. If someone else gets them, good for them.

In the meantime, the President needs to make some progress on IMPORTANT stuff. Showmanship be damned.
October 2nd, 2009, 6:46 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Heh. Chicago got booted from the running before the final vote. Myself, I'm not surprised. America has hosted enough of these games to last quite a while. I'm definitely pulling for Rio...
October 2nd, 2009, 11:15 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Now get me some damn health care Obama.
October 2nd, 2009, 12:01 pm
Liv

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:Heh. Chicago got booted from the running before the final vote. Myself, I'm not surprised. America has hosted enough of these games to last quite a while. I'm definitely pulling for Rio...

I agree. We didn't need another Olympics here. Kudos to Rio for winning the bid. The interesting thing to watch is how they will handle the stark differences between the rich and poor there. I have heard that the neighborhoods are side by side separated by a wall. Maybe this will help tear down those walls with the unifying theme of the Olympics? Probably too much to hope for but they do seem to know how to party down there.....

I do have one question...naaahhhh...It's too easy....I won't mention Michelle and Oprah....uh, ooops...

Peace
October 4th, 2009, 2:21 pm
deepshade

They'll do what they did in China, and build huge walls.
October 4th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Liv

deepshade wrote: The interesting thing to watch is how they will handle the stark differences between the rich and poor there. I have heard that the neighborhoods are side by side separated by a wall. Maybe this will help tear down those walls with the unifying theme of the Olympics?

No way will this happen. All that will be presented to the world is the Olympic venues and the most picturesque areas of the city. Residential arrangements will not be on the main attraction list. Some reporters ight go snooping around to look for stories to fill in the hours between popular events (heaven forbid that Americans should be forced to learn about fencing or archery...
October 5th, 2009, 3:50 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:
deepshade wrote: The interesting thing to watch is how they will handle the stark differences between the rich and poor there. I have heard that the neighborhoods are side by side separated by a wall. Maybe this will help tear down those walls with the unifying theme of the Olympics?

No way will this happen. All that will be presented to the world is the Olympic venues and the most picturesque areas of the city. Residential arrangements will not be on the main attraction list. Some reporters ight go snooping around to look for stories to fill in the hours between popular events (heaven forbid that Americans should be forced to learn about fencing or archery...

Probably right. I do like the more obscure sports and enjoyed the first time I watched Synchronized swimming. I mean how many time have you seen that come up in playful banter in a swiming pool/lake with friends? Like the first time I saw Curling in the Winter Olympics... I'm going like "who came up with this one?" but then it is a fun thing to watch every four years....with lots of beer....
But this also reminds me of a joke.... ( since I am a Hienz 57 with a bloodline that touches all continents, I'm going Polish here. )

So they are signing in at the Olympics and the contestants are reporting their name, sport, and country...

The first athlete.....
Shultz, Polevault, Germany
Next
Wilson, high jump, USA
Next
Smith, mile run, U.K.
Next.....the official looks up and sees an athlete, carrying staples, hammer, and barbedwire...
Chojnicki, Fencing, Poland.....
Groan.... ;-)
October 11th, 2009, 7:56 am
deepshade

deepshade wrote:Like the first time I saw Curling in the Winter Olympics... I'm going like "who came up with this one?" but then it is a fun thing to watch every four years....with lots of beer....

Actually, the first time I saw curling, I thought it was a bad joke. It was in the movie "Help!" with the Beatles. It never occurred to me that it was a real game...
October 12th, 2009, 11:02 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

You have to be Scotch (or drinking it) to invent a game that involves throwing large rocks around while standing on ice

Curling is quite a good game to play, reminiscent of (but much better than) 10 pin bowling. As long as you don't take it seriously
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
October 12th, 2009, 11:32 am
A Person

Return to Sports