·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

British man builds brand new 1974 V12 Jag E-Type

by A Person | Published on October 14th, 2009, 3:31 pm | Sports
British man builds brand new 1974 V12 Jag E-Type
At the end of a production run of cars, there are inevitably bits and pieces left behind which aren't assembled and have to be taken off the production line in the boxes they came in. When production on the Jaguar E-Type ended at Browns Lane in 1974, just such a thing happened, and a Jag fanatic picked up those truckloads of leftovers and kept them — for 31 years. When he got tired of being their steward he sold them to an enterprising fellow who thought of another Jag fanatic who might be able to make something of these parts. Turns out the kit was complete enough to finish one final 1974 Jaguar E-Type V12.

With truckloads of parts and a buyer in mind, then-owner Mike Wilkinson went to go see Ray Parrott, enthusiast and restorer extraordinaire. Together they took an exhaustive inventory of the parts included in the leftovers and discovered that about 95% of the components needed to actually build an original car were there. Ray of course could not pass.

Makes you wonder what was in the missing 5%?

That's basically what they're doing with the Deloreans these days....

Very cool.
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
October 14th, 2009, 4:02 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Given the choice of a deLorean or an E-Type, I'll take the Shaguar everytime.

The deLorean looks as sexy as a 70's washing machine

and is so dated

But the e-type is all curves, sexy and classic. mmmmmm

On my cool wall the e-type is arctic and the deLorean is a sweaty day in Miami
October 14th, 2009, 4:15 pm
A Person

Never been a fan of Jag... oddly, the only people I've ever known who've driven Jags are Canadians. My high school drama teacher was both Canadian and a Jag owner, and so was my college newspaper editor. Though I do admit my market sampling is rather small.

I love the Delorean. It borrows from so many different vehicles, and was visionary in many different ways Though comparing Jags and Deloreans is useless, they're two very, very different cars.
October 15th, 2009, 2:24 am
Liv

I'm not really a Jag fan either, I don't want to own one, but I do think they look good

There's something about cars of that style (cheese wedge) from that period that grates. They are the car equivalent to the polyester disco suit, medallion, big hair thing. The Delorean is John Travolta, the e-Type is more like Roger Moore.

The Aston Martin Lagonda was such an ugly departure from Aston's previous and subsequent beautiful designs,

The TR7 looks crap compared with the TR6.

It doesn't matter how good the cars may have been, they were ugly.
October 15th, 2009, 10:28 am
A Person

Right now my luxury dream car is.... wait for it... a 510 Horse supercharged Land Rover.

Yeah, yeah... I know....
October 15th, 2009, 12:05 pm
Liv

Nah - get a Tesla....

The purpose of life is to fight maturity.

Dick Werthimer
October 15th, 2009, 12:18 pm
eddiebuckle

I'd have one of those too....

Though I don't suspect there will ever be enough Teslas available for purchase that even if I had the money I'd be able to get one.
October 15th, 2009, 12:46 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:Right now my luxury dream car is.... wait for it... a 510 Horse supercharged Land Rover.

Yeah, yeah... I know....

You know you really want a 400hp Lightning. :wink:
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
October 15th, 2009, 10:50 pm
BecauseHeLives

I thought we were talking about good looking cars?

October 15th, 2009, 11:04 pm
A Person

A Person wrote:I thought we were talking about good looking cars?

We are. That's why we're not talking about Subarus.
October 16th, 2009, 8:01 am
BecauseHeLives

BecauseHeLives wrote:
You know you really want a 400hp Lightning. :wink:

If I were to own a truck... and I wouldn't.... because well, that's just not my thing.... (I'm more the mini cooper, smart car, lexus, land rover sort)...

It would be a V8 Ranger... It's the lightning on Crack....
October 16th, 2009, 9:13 am
Liv

Return to Sports