·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

One helluva tournament

by SouthernFriedInfidel | Published on April 6th, 2010, 10:54 am | Sports
Normally, this day is a pretty sad one for me: my beloved college basketball is done until next October, and I have nothing to look forward to for many months, sports-wise. But I gotta say... this year's NCAA men's tournament was just fabulous. Three solid weeks of terrific games, capped by Duke winning in one of the best title games I've ever seen.

So after the wild ending to the game last night... I think I"ll be set for basketball thrills for many months to come. And if not, well I have the recording of the game to watch.
:clap:

I didn't even realize last night was the championship game until I put the tv on CBS and discovered the 8:00 programming change. No Carolina, no care. Well, I take that back. I send in my brackets but when everything "fell apart" I didn't have a reason to keep up anymore.

Butler winning seemed like a long shot (pregame I commented that they were so cute, like chihuahuas challenging mastiffs) and it looks like they kept that score tight throughout the entire game. Glad it wasn't some total blowout. Keep the Dookies sweatin'. :wink:
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
April 6th, 2010, 5:23 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

I had WVU winning the whole thing in my bracket. Yes, I am still in mourning,
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
April 6th, 2010, 8:41 pm
BecauseHeLives

Serendipitous wrote:I didn't even realize last night was the championship game until I put the tv on CBS and discovered the 8:00 programming change. No Carolina, no care. Well, I take that back. I send in my brackets but when everything "fell apart" I didn't have a reason to keep up anymore.

Butler winning seemed like a long shot (pregame I commented that they were so cute, like chihuahuas challenging mastiffs) and it looks like they kept that score tight throughout the entire game. Glad it wasn't some total blowout. Keep the Dookies sweatin'. :wink:

After the game, coach Krzyzewski said that he thought the game would be considered historic, and to a small degree, I think he may be right. After all, for the past several years, the championship has been won by teams featuring young, freshman or sophomore basketball prodigies who entered the college system with no intention of staying long enough to come close to graduating. Kentucky this year was a big example of such a team this year, yet it fell to a "nobody" team that was a little closer to the whole "student-athlete" model.

The media kept saying that Duke had little chance of winning, because they had no national-level "superstar" players (which I thought was slightly incorrect, as their top 3 scorers were All-American type players, it seemed to me), and was "only" playing as a well-formed unit with good back-up depth. Analysts thought that such a team couldn't possibly withstand the power of Kentucky or Kansas. A lot of folks even questioned the placement of Duke in the seedings above Syracuse.

But all the other 1-seeds fell to less flashy teams. It seems that for this year at least, the phenom-driven teams were giving somewhat inferior performances. I'll be watching with interest as to whether this is a one-year bump in the trend toward 2-year appearances by NBA-bound stars, or a shift toward more balanced college programs.
April 7th, 2010, 4:17 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.

Return to Sports