·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Ford Fiesta.... A bit of Europe in America

by Liv | Published on May 24th, 2010, 9:41 pm | Sports
ford_fiesta.jpg

The Ford Fiesta- I like it, I really do. I think the $13,900 price tag is a bit much, but it is on par with the exact same Europe model, a best selling car abroad. It looks as though it's coming over here with the exact same looks. Ironically it's made in Mexico. Poor Arizona could have gotten the jobs... but well they kicked them out.

The Ford Fiesta gets 40 MPG, which isn't too bad when you consider it's almost 10 G's cheaper than Toyota's throttle sticking Prius. Though I'm old enough to remember the original Fiesta: The Festiva. (A re-branded KIA)

ford_fiesta_original_festiva.jpg

Of course that car never went over very well with the American public. Too small, no power, and the excellent fuel mileage meant nothing at a time when gas was .86 cents a gallon. I'm wondering, if this time they're ready?

I'd buy one if I had plans to stay in The States. Great gas mileage, nice looks, more affordable than a Mini-Cooper. (Makes you wonder if the U.S. should build a Giant-Cooper?) But you don't have to sell me, the fact they used them in the Royal Marines was enough to sell for me.

My biggest gripes on this car are 1) the price, 2) that horrid green color they use in all their commercials C) the name of the car. Fiesta? Really? Come on Ford! That might work in Europe but we over here in the U.S. need something more exciting... how about the Ford Engage... oh yes, that has a nice ring to it. A name so un-European people might actually buy it. In fact given the military experience of the said vehicle, you could sell it to tea-baggers and Palin types as able to cross whole deserts on a single tank of gas to slit the throats of Al Qaeda. Enough room to deport a dozen Mexicans; or even, hype it as a replacement for the Hummer since, well, that didn't work out so good for us in the war on oil. Hmmm.....

Although we can't forget the Ford Fiesta that was sold here in the '70's as seen here.... 8)

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/curbsi ... rd-fiesta/
CC-26-009-800.jpg
Ford Fiesta
Pineview Style

Shame they didn't have those available when I lived there. I had to settle for a Ford Focus even though I wanted something smaller, as I was expecting the price of gas to rocket. I must admit I did for a few crazy days look at a Dodge RAM truck until I saw the fuel consumption.
smiler125

I get about 25-28 on the freeway in the SE Taurus we have and I still sucked through about 5 tanks of gas at $35 a pop while my mother-in-law was out here.... Made me wish I had an extra 12-15 MPG..... God forbid I pull out my 3.8 liter Taurus which gets like 20 MPG....

If I do end up committing myself to school this fall, we may still consider buying one since I have about a 30 mile drive to school each day and no public transportation...
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

80 MPG, Focus:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/new ... -2012.html

Bet it's not coming to America though...
Liv

Liv wrote:Though I'm old enough to remember the original Fiesta: The Festiva. (A re-branded KIA)

The Fiesta and Festiva were never the same car. They had a similar target but if the Ford Fiesta was already successful in the market the Festiva was sold as a Mazda 121 or KIA Pride. The Fiesta was around in Europe since 1976 - ten years before the Festiva was introduced.

Yeah I'll bet a diesel Focus will do 80mpg - remember that's British gallons - 20% bigger than the short-changing pitiful American one. (size does matter) so in A'merkin it's 66 mpg.

It won't come to the US since American regulations exclude most non-commercial deisel powered vehicles. They mostly need an expensive urea injection system to meet the regs. The VW Jetta is the only exception that I'm aware of.
A Person

I was fascinated by the VW bugs a few years back they were saying were getting 60-70mpg... (probably same drivetrain as Jetta), but then they got banned... I think I read somewhere they're coming back... but not sure on the mileage.

I'd gladly buy a 66mpg car if I could get my hands on one...
Liv

You can get a VW TDi in the Golf and Jetta again, those engines can met the standards unaided. The Toureg has a urea injection system

The New Bug used to have the Jetta TDi as an option but the people who think the Bug is cool didn't want a diesel

VW make all the bits for the car I want (a jetta Sport wagon, with TDi and 4 wheel drive) they just don't put them together

The TDi excels at overtaking. You can cruise at 65mph and then without changing down just accelerate away. The torque is very impressive.
A Person

According to the US site.. they're saying only 42 MPG on the Golf TDI....

I could get that with the Fiesta....

Is it too much to ask for a 80MPG car.... really?
Liv

Actually, Subaru makes the car I want - they just don't import it into North America

Diesel flat-4, 108kW (144hp) and 350Nm (258lb ft) of torque.

5.6 l/100Km, 50 mpg (real) 41 mpg 'Merkin
A Person

Well the car I really want is a bicycle.... in Europe...

The day I sell my car and live somewhere where I can walk and take public transportation... will be happy.

Unfortunately... I'm putting on 300-600 miles a week right now... so I might have to buy another one before my dreams come true....
Liv

See... bicycles are even faster than motorcycles.
Liv

Oooh the new UK bug looks schweet....

new vw bug.jpg

UK customers will get four engines to choose from: 1.2-, 1.4- and 2.0-litre petrols and a 'Bluemotion'-branded 1.6-litre diesel, which is said to return 65.7mpg
Liv

That bug look slightly mean ...
A Person

Looks like the 40ish Plymouth police cars in some of the lines to me:
1940 plymouth.jpg
1940 plymouth.jpg (17.74 KiB) Viewed 148 times
Liv

Only in that the rear end has the lines of a dog crapping

Dogcrapping.jpg

It's the front end that looks a little mean
A Person