·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Girls Guide to Fixing Corrosive Battery Terminals.

by Liv | Published on June 26th, 2010, 1:33 pm | Sports
Christine.jpg

So last night I got a call from Shannon that the car wouldn't start. About 3 months ago I installed a push button ignition with cheap Chinese part. The moment she called I had this eerie feeling that- that is what went bad because almost every cheap Ebay Chinese import part falls apart in 3 months or less. Then again this car has had a poltergeist in the electrical system since the day I bought it. My assumption was it was all fixed when I did the massive wiring job, but recently the clock would reset on ignition. Today I found out why.... corrosion on the battery terminals. Yep, turns out I can't blame the Chinese, or my wiring as both were was good. One look at the battery terminal, a new one no less than 3 months old, and I could see why I was having problems. The resistance in the terminal had been growing, first showing up in the clock at high-amperage moments like engine ignition, and eventually it led to full a full no-start condition, despite having power to lights, horns etc. Science is an interesting thing when it all comes together. Battery corrosion tends to worsen during the summer when you're running higher amperage items like the air conditioning and blower motor. Combined with my lack of preventive measures such as anti-corrosion washers due to a rushed re-assembly on the ignition (mother in-law was arriving) basically it was just a matter of time till it happened. Houston we have a problem.

battery_terminal_corroded.jpg
As you can see, this is the "new" battery terminal less than 3 months old already covered in corrosion enough to prevent the car from starting.

Today I fixed my mistakes and recorded it for your interest. While such a thing is a common fix, I felt I needed to post this after a situation several months back where I witnessed a female co-worker of Shannon's; dump coca cola on her battery terminal to get it to start. There was a couple problems with this. a) The battery was plain dead... and no amount of soda is going to restart a dead battery. b) I get that Coca-Cola is corrosive, and its high acidity levels will clean the corrosion.... but I'm not about to pour sugary sticky cola on my car: It's plain dumb. On the other hand, vinegar, (your flavor of choice) seems to work well as an alternative without the need to give your car the caffeine jitters afterwards. I'll explain:

1) Go get the stuff you need. It's cheap and simple and costs about $5. Never mind the superglue in the picture, that's for fixing something else and accidentally got into the picture. You need battery anti-corrosion washers, a terminal brush, and some dielectric battery-goo. (or you can use Vaseline) You're also going to need some vinegar and a little cup to hold it, and some box-wrenches to remove the terminals (usually 12,13, or 14mm depending on the terminal.)
    battery_corrosion_cleaning_materials.jpg

2) Once you loosen the terminal, fill a small cup with vinegar. I prefer apple cider due to its wonderful aroma though it also happens to be what I had on hand. Try to maneuver the terminal into the vinegar and let it soak for about 3 minutes. It should come out fairly clean:

vinegar.jpg

3) After this you'll want to break out your metal brush you've purchased and go to town using the male end of the brush and sticking it in the female orifice. On the terminal end you'll want a up and down motion just like using your vibrator. Repeat steps 2 and 3 till you end up with a sparkling new battery terminal.

batter_terminal_brush.jpg

4) As you can see now the terminal is 100 times better than where we began. We will now proceed to use the other end of the brush and clean the actually battery post itself. This is done in a twisting manner and should become relatively clean without any other effort.

sparkling_home_remedy_to_cleaning_battery_terminals.jpg

5) Take a clean rag and clean off the battery at this point and place your washers around the post. It's like condoms for the battery. Tighten down the terminals, and check to make sure they can't sit and spin.

battery_brush.jpg

anti_corrosive_washer.jpg

6) Don't freak out when you see the Daddy-Long-Legs on the intake manifold. It may be a good time to go have chocolate.

daddy_long_legs_intake_manifold.jpg

bounjour_chocolate.jpg

7) Once the critters have left the car it's time to get dirty. With the terminals tightened, the washers on, it's now time to cover the outside of every metal surface of the post and terminals with some battery goo. Think of it as a facial for the car. Instead of removing blackheads, it keeps the terminals from corroding.

dielectric_battery_sauce.jpg

8) And you're done! Start the car and you're good to go.

finished_battery.jpg

Wash your hands before eating the chocolate, they'll have lead on them

Corroded battery terminals are one of those satisfying things, "Oh noes the car won't start" but it's so easy to diagnose - the headlights turn on but when you turn the starter they go out, when you put your hand on the battery terminals the problem one feels hot. You can impress people with your skills since wiggling the terminal often fixes it temporarily.

It used to be a lot more common when battery cables had those lead hats that fitted over the terminals, I've never had a problem with the clamp on ones

The white corrosion powder is lead sulphate and any blue crystals are copper sulphate - you are better to clean it with an alkali like baking soda or Oxyclean - or should I say OXYCLEAN this will neutralize any acid and also cleans oils and grease
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
June 26th, 2010, 6:31 pm
A Person

I think this is the second time you've recommended oxyclean for something.... hmmmm... how much stock do you own in the company?
June 26th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I am a fan of sodium percarbonate - which is washing soda with hydrogen peroxide loosely attached - and Oxyclean is the common brand name. It's a simple chemical that is environmentally benign but is a very effective degreaser - and being strongly alkaline works well for this application.
June 27th, 2010, 8:46 am
A Person

The advantage of using a can of coke for this is when you are stuck a can of coke is usally more avalable than the other solutions and it does have the advantage of creating a sticky film that inhibits further corrosion.On a side note i have had nothing but problems with brass connectors. They tend to cause corrosion to form where the wire joins the connector and if not caught quick enough tends to have corroson follow down the cable under the insulation.
June 27th, 2010, 10:38 am
DeannaB

Part of me is wondering if it itsn't the terminal too... I replaced that a few months ago when the old one wouldn't tighten anymore and I never had a problem with the terminal before then.... if I continue to have problems I replace the terminal with another type....
June 27th, 2010, 10:56 am
Liv

I'd recommend plain water over soda. The salts are water soluble and sugar is not an anticorrosion agent.

A sugar film is hygroscopic and would attract moisture thereby increasing corrosion. Corrosion is a significant problem in the sugar industry

Given that we're talking about a get-you-home scenario, tapping it with a hammer substitute is usually sufficient to make a temporary connection until you can take it apart and clean it properly as Liv describes. If you have wrenches in the car, slackening the clamp and twisting it will clear things too

I've not had a problem in 30 years since the top hat ones were discontinued

Probably also because I'm living in a low humidity environment - moisture is the bane of electronics

A better quality clamp might help, but I doubt you'll have a problem now the terminals are cleaned and protected with grease
June 27th, 2010, 11:12 am
A Person

Please correct me if i am wrong but isnt battery corrosion due to the electrochemical process formed by the passage of electrons thru two dismilar metals with the pressence of O2 being a much larger contributer to the formation of corrosion than the presence of H2O
June 27th, 2010, 11:41 am
DeannaB

The white/yellow/blue powdery crystals that build up on battery terminals are lead. iron and copper sulphate caused by battery acid vapour reacting with the metals that form the posts, clamps and cables

Small amounts of sulphuric acid gets vented or sometimes leaks past the posts. The problem is sulphation rather than oxidation.

That's why an alkaline is better than an acid to clean it
June 27th, 2010, 9:37 pm
A Person

So the bad news is the negative terminal re-corroded. It didn't fail like the first time, but with the amount of driving I'm doing I'm not taking a chance. I replaced the brass terminal with a standard one, hoping to solve the issue. In fact it began to corrode a couple weeks after the first fix. I cleaned it, but it was fairly deteriorated by the time I removed it today.

Now it has been a severely hot summer and that could be the cause of it, but I've never seen a terminal corrode that quick, especially when so many counter-measures are applied. I think there may be something to the "different metals" hypothesis.
September 15th, 2010, 3:35 pm
Liv

I think you may have a leak past the post on the battery itself. This will allow sulphuric acid to leak up. Take everything off and clean it thoroughly. You may be able to see the leak. You can do one of several things

1) buy a new battery
2) try to seal the leak with epoxy or similar sealant
3) put your battery grease (or dialetric silicone grease) round the post where it passes through the battery before attaching the terminal clamp
September 15th, 2010, 3:49 pm
A Person

Well I checked the terminal yesterday after picking it up from the shop getting some tires on it. The terminal is completely corrosion free, and while it's still early, it's beginning to look like the gold/brass plated terminal was the main culprit.
October 1st, 2010, 8:08 am
Liv

Return to Sports