·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Will Tiger Woods Finally Play in Greensboro?

by Knightrider | Published on February 2nd, 2007, 9:31 am | Sports
ImageImage

Greensboro's PGA Tournament has a new name and a new date. There is even talk about a move to the Sedgefield Country Club where the tournament was origionally hosted. The Wyndham Championship will debut in August and will be the last tour spot on the new FedEx cup point system so it will be one of the top events on the tour as players will want to rack up the last qaulifying points for the FedEx Cup playoffs. does this mean Tiger will finally play in Greensboro? many have wonder why Tiger Woods has never played in Greensboro. the event has been around since 1938. Meanwhile, Charlotte got a PGA event several years back and he shows up there. Is it another case of "Greensboring"? I think not. Many say the reason had to do with the sponsorship of Greensboro's tournament for the past 11 years. You see, Tiger Woods has a contract with Buick and Chrysler is Buick's competition. Tiger wouldnt likely play at an event sponsored by Chrysler. However the tournament has a new name "Wyndham Championship" and there appears to be no conflicting sponsorship this time. So at last we just might see Tiger Woods show up at the 2007 Wyndham Championship here in Greensboro. Lets all hope. In any event, the tournaments new spot on the tour will make it one of the country's most popular PGA championships and the crowds will grow.

Sedgefield Country Club "future site of the Wyndham Championship?"
This clubhouse looks alot better than the one at Forest Oaks and the Sedgefield clubhouse even has some history. It was built in 1925 as The Sedgefield Inn and is also the birthplace of the ACC back in 1953.

Knightrider wrote: does this mean Tiger will finally play in Greensboro?

Why should he bother? He'll never need to come here to boost his points.
many have wonder why Tiger Woods has never played in Greensboro.

Maybe because we're a flyspeck in the world of pro golf, no matter what name we have or what sponsor we have on our miserable little tournament?
February 2nd, 2007, 11:41 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:
Knightrider wrote: does this mean Tiger will finally play in Greensboro?

Why should he bother? He'll never need to come here to boost his points.
many have wonder why Tiger Woods has never played in Greensboro.

Maybe because we're a flyspeck in the world of pro golf, no matter what name we have or what sponsor we have on our miserable little tournament?

But our tournament is one of the most prestigous and one of the oldest PGA tournaments. I wouldnt call that a flyspeck in the world of golf. The problem Greensboro has had in recent years was attracting big names. The dates were a big reason why the top players never came to Greensboro becasue when the GGO was in the spring, the top golfers were focusing on the Masters. The new date in August changes that entirely and the big names will come to Greensboro because Wyndham is the last stop on the regualar season before the playoffs, which are the last FedEx Cup points for grabs. This question is will Tiger come? and I think the odds are looking much better for Greensboro.
February 2nd, 2007, 2:14 pm
Knightrider

Knightrider wrote:But our tournament is one of the most prestigous and one of the oldest PGA tournaments.

If prestige was part of the equation, I would have expected big-time folks to come out here, regardless of the money or the dates. But we frittered away our prestige. Age is the only thing we've had going for us -- that and dead easy course layouts.

Where's the challenge when after 4 days of play, the leaders are all crowded around 25-30 strokes under par?

Maybe moving to Sedgefield will help more than just changing the name...
February 2nd, 2007, 2:29 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

I could care less if Tiger Woods comes to Greensboro. Unless, if Fuzzy Zoeller came back, then it would be fun...
February 6th, 2007, 11:18 am
rumface

rumface wrote:I could care less if Tiger Woods comes to Greensboro. Unless, if Fuzzy Zoeller came back, then it would be fun...

Yeah, it was always fun when Lee Trevino was in town...
February 6th, 2007, 11:49 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Last week, on scanning CNN's sports section, I noticed a couple of odd headlines along the lines of: "Can anyone beat Tiger?" With the Masters tournament coming up, it seemed that everyone in the sports community figured that this guy winning the Masters YET AGAIN was a foregone conclusion, and anyone who dared get in his way would suffer humiliation from even trying to pretend that they could keep up with him at Augusta.

Well, I thought it might be interesting to see how things played out. At the end of the first round, Mr. Woods was 5 strokes behind the leader. On Friday, he missed being cut from the field by only 3 strokes, and was 8 behind the lead. And even Saturday and yesterday, the stories about the Masters wasn't about how well Trevor Immelman was playing on the course... everyone kept talking about how Tiger had everyone right where he wanted them, and how he was going to charge through the final two rounds and show the crowd how silly it was to count him out.

Of course, he did move up in the standings over the final two days. But he couldn't overcome the problems he made for himself over the first two rounds. I guess the King of the World coronation will have to wait a few more months... :roll:
April 14th, 2008, 2:34 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Return to Sports