·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Ford Granada & Mercury Monarch

by Mike Phillips | Published on January 19th, 2006, 6:30 pm | Sports
monarch9.jpg
I have a 1978 Granada 302 V8. My grandmother gave me the car with 37,900 miles on it. I'd like to bring out the power in this car for a reasonable cost, what would be your suggestion? I'd like to put about 1,000 dollars into this project.

For starters:
4-5 deg advance over base ignition timing (high octane fuel required)
K&N Filter
1-5/8 short tube headers (Maverick, Comet headers should fit)
2-1/4 dual exhaust with flowmaster 40-series
Ditch Cats
20 deg cooler T-stat
3:55 Ring and Pinion
Traction Bars
Upgraded Ignition Coil and Wires
Port match and deburr stock intake manifold
Mild Cam

Future Upgrades:
Ported and Polished 351 Heads (special head bolts and head gasket needed) or used GT40s
Dual Plane Intake Manifold
600cfm 4bbl Carb

Or:
Drop in a salvaged '85 Mustang 302 Roller Cam Motor and call it a day

And:
Save up $$$ for an upgraded C4 Trans, stall-converter and rear Limited-Slip 9"

Finally:
Throw on a direct port NAUWZ set-up and go crazy!
January 19th, 2006, 6:32 pm
Julian Beaver

granada8.jpg
How it going. I too have a 76 Granada with a 302. She is pretty stock until I decide to get started. It has 77000 original miles and I am the second owner. I want to lower it and thought y'all may be able to give me some heads up. If not oh well. Hope you can help. Thanks, Truman. Crosby, Texas.
January 19th, 2006, 6:33 pm
Aulds Truman

Though I have yet had a chance to pursue lowering a Granada, it should be a fairly simple job... The best option, is to remove a front spring and go to a junk yard and compare it to other vehicles (like a mustang, Camaro, etc...cars with V8s) that have lowering springs available to them on the market.... Then ordering the front springs.... Quite possibly you might not find anything but I doubt it. Your second choice is to have them custom made, which may be very expensive.... You could get some decent lowering by cutting the spring with a high speed cutting device.... Of course this has its fall backs as you can imagine.. The back should be easy with some lowering blocks for 20.00 at your local parts store. Last resort, go for some lower profile tires.... Of course you'll increase your wheel well gap.
January 19th, 2006, 6:34 pm
Julian Beaver

monarch3.jpg
I have a '77 Mercury Monarch with a 285+ hp SVO crate motor and a 4 spd Tremec. It goes like a raped ape!!!!!

The '75-'80 Granada/Monarch was based on the '69-'77 Ford Maverik / Mercury Comet.

4 Engines Available:
200 3.3L I-6 1-Barrel Carb 72-76hp
250 4.1L I-6 1-Barrel Carb 97-98hp
302 5.0L V-8 2-Barrel Carb 134-139hp
351W 5.8L V-8 2-Barrel Carb 144-152hp

Auto Trans was C4
Rear Axles were 8" and 9"
250 I6 shares bell-housing with small block V8s

Performance:
'77 Granada (3525lbs) w/250: 0-60 19.0sec
'78 Monarch Ghia (3570lbs) w/302: 0-60 12.8sec

The Granada and Monarch were originally set to be the replacements for the Maverick and Comet, however due to strong sales of the Maverick and Comet Ford kept it in production after the Granada and Monarch were introduced. The Granada and Monarch were based on a long version of the Maverick unit body and share many mechanical components with the Maverick. Very few changes were made to the Granada and Monarch until they became re badged Fairmonts in 1981.
January 19th, 2006, 6:37 pm
Duane

My husband uses his Monarch as daily driver in the summer as well as drag racing. His best time at the Rock Falls Raceway outside of Eau Claire Wisconsin is11.01 @ 120 in the quarter miles his best 60ft time is1.50. The engine is a 351 Windsor, 11.5 to 1compression, Victor Jr heads and intake, a big solid roller cam, and a Biggs 750 double pumper. It has aC-4 transmission with 457 gears and a 5000 stall. The car weighs a total of 3200 lbs with my husband in it and a 6 point roll bar. This past summer he brought to Minneapolis/St. Paul to the Car Craft Summer Nationals and on the rear wheel dyno he had 385 horse.
January 19th, 2006, 6:39 pm
Theresa

Hey guys, let me just say, I love the Granada! Me and my friend are huge Granada fans and we thought we were the only ones. He has a 79 four door 6 cyl.and he just picked up a 77 351W Granada and we have big plans for it, BIG PLANS! So anyway, I thought you guys might get a kick out of a website that I made for school. It's an all Granada Model Car online store, it's not real, it's just for fun but it's pretty cool. It's athttp://pages.prodigy.net/xodo/granada . All the cars are based one my friends 79 jade green 4-door.
January 19th, 2006, 6:41 pm
Derek

monarch5.jpg
I am researching Ford Granadas. Does anyone know where I can find a site listing the dimensions of a 1976 Ford Granada, especially the size of the rear bumper?
January 23rd, 2007, 3:24 pm
brntbth

Might want to ask the people here:

http://www.americangranada.com/

I'm sure someone could measure it for you.
January 23rd, 2007, 4:12 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

You whant serious power out of this car, then put HEMI 426 in it should fit but it costs lot more than 1k and u need to change the axels to. He its my appenion. This engin is the legendary drag-race engine, but if u whant something cheap then bring the life back in to the old engien. Have fun whit the castomation.
January 29th, 2007, 3:37 pm
Holger

I have recently been offered a 1984 LTD with a 9" rear end, C4 Trany W/OD and a 5.0 EFI HO Police Interceptor engine. Does anyone know where I can find the information I need to pull the engine and all the related components needed to install in my 76 Granada. I know I need the computer but what all else I am not sure. Can someone help me out here?
April 30th, 2007, 9:43 pm
Granadaman76

Basically everything.... If you want it to be a fulie.

Or you could just pull the motor, swap it out for the 250 and plop a carb on it. It should bolt right up to the c4 in the Granada.
May 1st, 2007, 7:10 pm
Liv

i livein phoenix and have a 78 4door i drive as a stock car ata the dirt track can anyone help me find parts
March 15th, 2008, 9:13 pm
78 racer

Derek wrote:Hey guys, let me just say, I love the Granada! Me and my friend are huge Granada fans and we thought we were the only ones. He has a 79 four door 6 cyl.and he just picked up a 77 351W Granada and we have big plans for it, BIG PLANS! So anyway, I thought you guys might get a kick out of a website that I made for school. It's an all Granada Model Car online store, it's not real, it's just for fun but it's pretty cool. It's athttp://pages.prodigy.net/xodo/granada . All the cars are based one my friends 79 jade green 4-door.

hey i got a 76 granada 4 door 302 2bbr. c4 auto tranny. i love these cars they are so easy to work on and so fun to drive. im glad other people enjoy real cars also
October 16th, 2008, 5:52 pm

Not only that but they look really bitchin with a knight rider light bar underneath the grill. (Don't ask me how I know.)
October 16th, 2008, 8:05 pm
Liv

Return to Sports