·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Time for College Football Playoffs

by Matt | Published on December 2nd, 2007, 11:23 am | Sports
BCS was a neat idea. But it can't compensate for the "any given Sunday(make that Saturday)" rule.

So almighty BCS computer, who plays for all the marbles? No.1 Missou and No.2 WV both lost last night. The only Top 25 team that has no losses is Hawaii, but they have a weak schedule and are a mid-major school.

Ohio State would be a pretty safe bet without ruffling too many feather because their only loss is to #15 Illinois who will probably be competing for the National Championship next season. However, O-State lost AT HOME.

But wait, Missouri loss to #9 Oklahoma and the Big 12 is one of the toughest to play in. So isn't their loss easier to accept that O-States loss?

WV lost to Pitt but the also lost their starting QB.

Kansas' only lost was the the former #1 Missouri.

Georgia? LSU? USC? V-Tech? All 2-loss teams. Do they deserve a shot?

Better run a virus scan and system back up on the BCS computer before you run this calculation. You'll certainly have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete at least a couple times.

We need a 3 game playoff.

51 days between the last game and the BCS. Why can't they play a bracket system then?
December 3rd, 2007, 7:50 am
Jack Aubrey

Jack Aubrey wrote:51 days between the last game and the BCS. Why can't they play a bracket system then?

absolutely.

But I'll tell you why: Too much money to be made in bowl games. Adding any more before Christmas/New Years might take away the importance of those later.

I have an idea that would work but will have to take time later to explain it. Don't know that I could do it in a few words.
December 3rd, 2007, 8:37 am
Matt

But you know what? Your idea is simpler.

You keep all the BCS games in place. One week aftet the last "regular season" game has been palyed you have 2 games:

#1 vs #4
#2 vs #3

The 2 winners go to the national championship game.
The 2 losers fall in what ever else bowl they qualify for.

Only sticking point is tickets and prep for the schools. I'm not sure how much notification is needed for a school to schedule and prep everything. But it's not like they didn't have to do it anyway.
December 3rd, 2007, 9:41 am
Matt

I'm a vegatable when I watch football. I spend toooo much time watching. I can't help it. Like a moth to a candle flame. Don't watch a lot of the pre or post stuff. Half time shows bore me. There will be a long period between now and bowl games and I will suffer from withdraw symptoms. For this reason only, they should be doing all the play off stuff like march madness or the pro divisional playoffs. These games could be the bowl games. Rotating sponsors and locations for the final game on a year to year basis.
December 3rd, 2007, 10:02 am
Jack Aubrey

Return to Sports