·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

AMC Pacer

by Liv | Published on December 28th, 2007, 3:52 pm | Sports
Some girls get cool presents from their parents. Me... I got a 1978 AMC Pacer. Not a real one.... A 1/87th scale AMC Pacer with clear case and mounting pedestal.
amc_pacer.gif

I guess dad thought it was "cute", as I spent the good part of my life in one of these cars. My uncle originally bought a AMC pacer as his first car, way back when. Then at some point he gave it to my Grandmother, at which point it was given back to my Uncle, and then some years driven down to North Carolina and given to my mom, which after a few years donated it to charity. I was mad.

We nicknamed the Pacer, the "bubble car" and adored the 8-track player and fold down rear seat which back in the eighties (before they invented seat belts) you could make the back of the vehicle into you own little child cave and stare at traffic behind you.

I mean, honestly the AMC Pacer was "way" ahead of it's time.... it was gas efficient, a hatchback, and sporty. I think with all the 80's nostalgia going on, it's time for Chrysler to reincarnate the pacer again. It would fit perfectly as a hybrid, electric? Seriously... they're bringing back the 60's camaro, the old Mustang, why not the Pacer? That would be so-o cool.

I can no longer look at that car without thinking of this:

waynes world.jpg
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
December 28th, 2007, 4:13 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Liv,
I love Pacers too! My first car is a 1976 Pacer X that my Dad and I built this year. It got a 6-page feature in the November 2007 Hot Rod magazine. My web site is at MoPacer.com. You are right... Chrysler should make a new Pacer! Anna Liv
December 28th, 2007, 5:06 pm
Anna Beth

I'd love to own a Pacer... That and a Delorian....
December 29th, 2007, 12:09 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I guess the Pacer started the "Cab Forward" design trend with the "Cab Everywhere" design....
December 30th, 2007, 11:46 am
Pineview Style

i used to have a 1976 pacer deluxe that belonged to my great grandmother, when she became too old to drive it she gave it to my grand father who intended to give it to me but sold it instead because he needed the money. which upset me extremely. i grew up with the car. from the ages of6 till about 15 i washed the car every week, polished the mag wheels and detailed the interior. when i was 14 i rebuilt the motor with my grandfathers help and it was my first car i drove to school. when i moved away is when he sold it. ive been looking ever since to find a new pacer but theyre few and far between anymore. a re-incarnation of the pacer would be a "to-die-for" car for me if it ever showed up in production.
March 12th, 2009, 8:41 pm
CrimsonPheonix

Return to Sports