·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Women's version of March Madness fails

by SouthernFriedInfidel | Published on April 2nd, 2008, 9:47 am | Sports
Here's an opinion piece from the Greensboro News. An interesting take on the failure to generate interest in the regional that was played last night.

I agree with Hardin that things are looking bleak so far as marketing women's basketball is concerned... but I think that the basic problem is cultural.

To illustrate: My wife works at a local toy store, and she recently told me of a conversation she had with a customer on the subject of sports. A grandmother came in, looking for something to buy for outdoor play time for her 5-year-old granddaughter. My wife suggested a small-kid basketball set.

Grandma said, "Girls don't play basketball."

My wife said, "Oh I don't know about that. Just last weekend, I went to see the ACC Women's Tournament, and those girls can really play basketball!"

Grandma said, "Those were women. But little girls don't play basketball!"

There's your problem in a nutshell. Far too few girls are taught to play basketball from an early age, the way little boys are. If we had more girls getting their hands on basketballs at the age of 4 or 5, and encouraged to follow college teams and participate in pony league games, the pool of talented female athletes for the colleges around the country would be far deeper, and games would be a lot more competitive and interesting to watch.

Right now, a women's basketball fan could list only a handful of true basketball phenoms in college (Parker, Wiggin, Langhorne, etc), all of them attending a set of top 5 or 10 schools. If big-time talent becomes more widespread, and you start getting 4 or 5 dozen truly great players spread across the country, I bet the sports public will start to take notice.

Might take some time, but I also think it will take some long-term, directed effort as well.

I bet your wife was going to ask the lady when she thought black people should be allowed to go school with little girls?

Sexist rednecks... Oh gosh... don't get me started....

I had a massachusetts woman make fun of my accent today because she said it sounded southern.... I DON'T SOUND SOUTHERN.... she just thinks I do.... Then she made fun of how stupid we are and how we don't have "stuff" down here.....

Asshole...

It's one thing for me to embrace the southern lifestyle, and call southern people stupid....since I live here, and consider myself apart of that joke... it's another when you say it from up north....

then, it's like a white person calling a black person a tigga-t

Oh, and she had the most horrendous laugh..... annoying.... joking, little banker.... errr...
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
April 2nd, 2008, 3:45 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:I had a massachusetts woman make fun of my accent today because she said it sounded southern

Have a little pity on the poor woman Liv. After all she is from Massachusetts.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you "choose" to respond to it.

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote: If you believe things that are contradicted by the evidence, then you are on a path built on falsehoods.
April 3rd, 2008, 7:06 am
RebelSnake

My aunt used to joke when my parents first move to NC (family is from Ohio) about how she was amazed we had electric doors at the Grocery store....

apparently not much has changed.... as we're still stupid to the north.... Of course it's kind of true...

Slight hi-jack here:
2004election_by_iq.png

But still....
April 3rd, 2008, 1:00 pm
Liv

Aw geez! We're averaging to be as smart as West Virginia!?

Oh the agony! :mrgreen:
April 3rd, 2008, 1:07 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
And I'm quite sure the IQ of the area... has went down since the election....
April 3rd, 2008, 1:12 pm
Liv

The intellectual Balkanization of America can't be good, long term... :shock:
April 3rd, 2008, 1:20 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
And completely off topic, but not at all....

Heidi Montag has endorsed John McCain.

I link to this other blog only because the writer is so good.

At long last Heidi Montag has endorsed a candidate for president. Us Weekly has the exclusive news on who America's phoniest belle wants to lead our country to greatness:

"I'm a Republican and McCain has a lot of experience," she explains.
What Pratt, 24, warned her about making an endorsement, Montag replied, "I don't think anyone cares who Heidi Montag votes for."

Now I know this isn't a political site and I'm not here to make comments such as "Oh, wow, a rich white blonde with fake breasts and the IQ of a Frosted Mini Wheat votes Republican. Who saw that coming?" That's not my bag. What is my bag is providing photo retrospectives like the one I included with this post. I present to you Heidi Montag: Feminist Icon, Political Jugs-ernaut. Vote stupidly big, America!

NOTE: I'm moving to Denmark.

http://thesuperficial.com/2008/04/heidi ... hn_mcc.php

Ah ha ha ha ha...whaa waaaa waaaaaaa.....
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
April 3rd, 2008, 1:22 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Return to Sports