·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Alternative Fuel Cars could fix the recession.

by Acer | Published on April 28th, 2008, 8:04 pm | Sports
If we want to fix our economy, the only possible way is to make alternative fuel cars. America in the past has remained a world power because when it recognized it could not win the game, it changed it. We changed how wars were fought, we changed how food was grown, we changed how things were produced. Right now, the OPEC cartel hordes oil, thus keeping prices high - and with china approaching being a bigger user than the US, it will only get worse, OPEC will not going to increase output to meet that demand. Thus, an enormous chunk of wealth goes straight to the Middle East and Venezuela.
Alternative fuel cars and energy plants will reduce dependence on foreign oil. But that is not the only plus. The other is that when we produce these cars, who else will want to reduce their dependence on OPEC? Everyone!Especially Europe. Who in this scenario is the only provider? The US! WE will make money. Not the middle east. Not to mention that a decrease in the Mid East's income means less money that the Iranian Govt. can spend on creating nuclear weapons.
The biggest hindrance to this effort is the tree-huggers, and the people who hate tree-huggers. Their damn petty arguments about global warming and whether or not it exists has taken attention away from the non-environmental benefits of not using fossil fuels. It is not about that anymore. It's about remaining a world power. The most unfortunate thing about the whole argument is that now many conservatives and others have decided using fossil fuels is "American", and not using them is "Un-American". "un-American" is getting in the way of beneficial progress, and sending all our money to countries that may use it for dastardly intentions (not that all do, but for sure at least a few).
Bottom line: the only country with enough power to change the game is sitting on its hands. The cost is too high to change to another fuel source?! The cost is to high to remain! I love oil as much as the next guy, I love the machines that use it (I'm a total gear-head). But it's not the way to go anymore. Are we seriously going to wait until there is an equilibrium between the cost of either? Or worse, will we wait until Europe does it first? In the latter case, we would not possibly make any money out of it.

Acer wrote:Or worse, will we wait until Europe does it first? In the latter case, we would not possibly make any money out of it.
Too late. Europe has been tooling up for some time. Half the cars on the road and more than half of new cars sold run on diesel, switching to biodiesel is just a matter of making the fuel available. There are numerous sources of biodiesel, not jsut from crops grown for the purpose. A test flight has been made on a jet plane running on pork fat.

It's no coincidence that if you wnat to buy a diesel car in the US it's going to be made by VW, Mercedes, Volvo, BMW or Audi.

The good news is that if the US get serious about Biodiesel all the major car manufacturers in Japan, Korea and Europe have cars ready to suppply the US market.
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
April 28th, 2008, 9:20 pm
A Person

I agree with the original poster and A.P too.

America's unwillingness to participate has been part of me being upset with the country for sometime. Especially when I had started to go green, and the SUV trend was starting to take off.

Likewise, when we rented a SUV in London (Diesel Land Rover) it still managed 30 MPG. That was shocking to me, as my V6 Taurus can barely muster that on a good day. I also saw tons of EVs in the congestion zone, and of course the public transportation system was really humbling. Smart cars are also huge there.

Even the European round-about (?Sp?) seems more efficient then the US stop sign/light as often you don't have to stop.

Also A.P. I know you mentioned VW, and I think that VW actually stopped producing diesels in the US this last year. Although one of my dream cars has always been a 65MPG Diesel Convertible Bug.

Personally I saw many of these over in London, and didn't know exactly what it was other then a Honda. Looked alot like a CRX, but I guess we don't have them here. Would love one of these:
Attachments
civictyper07.jpg
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
April 29th, 2008, 6:32 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

I saw the other day that Honda sells a Civic that runs on natural gas. They claim it has virtually zero emissions. Costs $25k, which ain't totally out of the ballpark. Apparently, they also have a contract with some company to deliver your fuel to you when you need a fill-up.

Interesting, indeed.
April 29th, 2008, 6:38 pm
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
I'm just wanting to finish my EV that's sitting in the backyard. Still need to pull the ICE, and then save some money for a electric motor....

Kind of lost the spirit after my job cut my salary about $7,000 a year.... Also not looking forward to hunting down an adapter plate for a MX-3 or having someone CNC one.
April 29th, 2008, 6:46 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:I saw the other day that Honda sells a Civic that runs on natural gas. They claim it has virtually zero emissions. Costs $25k, which ain't totally out of the ballpark. Apparently, they also have a contract with some company to deliver your fuel to you when you need a fill-up.

Interesting, indeed.

You can convert most gasoline vehicles to run on natural gas, you can get some home compressors to compress your house supply to recharge. One problem is that there isn't much energy from methane so you don't get much of a range when compared to say propane or gasoline/diesel.
April 29th, 2008, 7:43 pm
A Person

Return to Sports