·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Hooping

by Liv | Published on June 28th, 2008, 6:11 pm | Sports
So recently I've been fascinated with Hooping. What's hooping you ask? It's hula hooping.

No, I kid you not!

What's worst is I could never do it as a kid, and now I want to do it as an adult. I've seen the videos on youtube, and even learned how to make a hula hoop. Some how after reading Hooping magazine I came under the belief that my difficulty hula hooping earlier in life wasn't because of a lack of sports skills, but a poor hoop. Certainly building my own hoop would be completely awesome, and a great way to spend time with the kids. I was really excited as I left to go get the stuff today, but then realized when I got home and discovered I bought the wrong tubing.

Why in the hell I chose Hooping to be my interest of the week, I don't know... but, anytime it's something healthy- my other personality (the responsible one) allows the irresponsible side in me to exercise some experimentation in hopes it will benefit them both.

First you get tubing. You're supposed to buy irrigation tubing from Lowes. We went over to Elm/Eugene Lowes today, and the guy seemed absolutely perplexed that I wanted to buy irrigation hosing for hula hoops. The best he could come up with is some 1/2 in poly tubing:

DSCF6184.JPG

I was supposed to get 3/4 or 1" 160 PSI tube. This would sadly disappoint me when the whole thing was one big floppy mess upon assembly. Ren's (my daughters) hoop worked really well though, but the smaller diameter was more rigid.

So anyways you're supposed to heat the ends of the tube (with a hair dryer) and put connectors inside. As it cools it seals. I consider all of this a great trial run in assembly, but I still haven't answered the greatest question of all... Can I hula hoop?

DSCF6185.JPG

Unfortunately I'm busted for one week on money. I'll have to put off my hooping ambitions for a week or so. Really though... how do I come up with this stuff?

Oh yeah, the internet:

Yeah, not all Lowe's carry the right stuff. Here in San Francisco we have to drive about six stories away to find the right tubing, so if you're local Lowe's doesn't carry it you shouldn't be surprised if the person helping you was confused. I find that 100 psi 1" pipe or 160 psi 3/4" are the best. You can also heat the tubing ends in hot water. Check out the hoop making category info on Hooping.org for more info and keep at it! You'll get it down, I know it!

- Philo Hagen, Editor
Hooping.org Magazine
July 1st, 2008, 5:11 am
Philo

Thanks... I won't be deterred... I may be the laughing stock of my neighborhood trying... but I'm definitely going to find the stuff... to do it right...

In other news I found a slightly nice hula hoop for the kids at Super G mart today... It snaps together for only $6.00... but it only comes up to my waist.
July 1st, 2008, 9:44 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Your post confuses and disturbs me.
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
July 1st, 2008, 9:54 am
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Tis my aim.
July 1st, 2008, 1:45 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Sports