·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Will my windshield pass NC DOT inspection?

by Jack Aubrey | Published on December 17th, 2008, 3:57 pm | Sports
A Person wrote:Isn't this a bit like saying that since stores lose more money from shoplifting than they do from armed robbery we shouldn't do anything about armed robbers?

They did at one time have a system set up to do tailpipe exhaust tests of the older vehicles, I/M 240, Bar 90 and a few others. 1996 OBD II regulations requried all vehicles sold in the US to monitor emissions on board without having to do tailpipe sniffing. So 1996 to present get the OBD on board diagnostic check, 1973-1996 get a safety only which does have to have emission equiped devices installed and appear working if the vehicle came equiped with it. They aren't many 35 year old vehicles on the road as daily drivers so I guess the DAQ isn't concerned with them as major contributing emission vehicles.

A Person wrote:Making a bad decision does not mean you should continue spending money to justify it.

These machines were just delivered in the last few months, so why didn't they do the committee studies before changing over to e-stickers?

SouthernFriedInfidel wrote:the emissions tests and safety inspections are seen as separate questions for the purposes of the state's regulations.

Yes but 73-96 vehicle models do have a "emissions" check (sort of) in the safety only inspection.

As a followup, we had it inspected yesterday, and it passed with flying colors!!!!!!! Yeah!
This is our chance to change things, this is our destiny.
December 2nd, 2009, 8:09 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Liv wrote:As a followup, we had it inspected yesterday, and it passed with flying colors!!!!!!! Yeah!

My windshield has a pretty serious crack in it, and of course with the change of seasons, it's now growing. It passed inspection, but I'll be saving up to replace the damn thing in the spring anyway. That'll be my 3rd windshield on this car.

Dag!
December 7th, 2009, 8:09 am
SouthernFriedInfidel

Location: 5th circle of hell -- actually not very crowded at the moment.
Well per my research, the NC inspection only inspects the wipers, not the windshield so as long as the windshield doesn't effect the performance of the wipers then they can't fail you. Though it doesn't stop some overzelous tech from trying to increase his buddie's windshield business, and lying to you.

I will warn though, if you're in a emissions county, they are fining you $250 for late inspections via mail from Raleigh, so don't procrastinate.
December 7th, 2009, 8:52 am
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

Return to Sports