·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Doctor Who Exhibition, Cardiff

by Liv | Published on March 19th, 2009, 6:18 pm | Arts

I wanted to save this post for the weekend since I had a video to post and I know most have to get home before they can access Youtube. So here it is... The Dr Who Cardiff Exhibition post.

DSCF6930.JPG

So on Monday, we boarded a Great Western purple train sat in the quiet carriage and road off into the beautiful British countryside. Two hours later we were in Cardiff. As I mentioned in the Cardiff post the Doctor Who exhibition was but one of many things we did. It's actually in the the Red Dragon Center, sort of a mall, entertainment megaplex, with food, bowling, theaters.... and of course the Doctor Who exhibit.... this, all which is directly opposite the famed Millennium Center the ultimate "Who" landmark in Cardiff.

DSCF6941.JPG

It's relatively cheap... If memory serves me about £10 a person... and it's worth every pence. Bring your gold card... because there's a fully stocked Doctor Who & Torchwood store at the completion of your visit. Believe me, they're going to be out of stock of Captain Jack merchandise for some time to come, thanks to me.

DSCF6970.JPG

One of the coolest things about the Doctor Who Exhibit is the soundtrack. As you walk through it has the full-original Doctor Who score, which makes you feel like you're apart of the tv show. It also helps that there's 15 foot tall murals of David Tennant looking dreamy staring at you.

DSCF6959.JPG

Unfortunately just like in North Carolina, the ugly guys are there to hit on you too...

DSCF6960.JPG

Good thing we knew a secret passageway to escape to a different part of the exhibition!

DSCF6961.JPG

Shannon of course later hooked up with a cyberman... then decided it "just didn't feel right."

DSCF6964.JPG

Six phallic head man did even less to impress....
DSCF6968.JPG

DSCF6969.JPG

I've so got to get an outfit like that! The sparkly one... not the jumpsuit on the pig-man.

DSCF6973.JPG

Finally Shannon discovers the perfect love for her... Someone who will serve her every whim... an Ood!

DSCF6975.JPG

So I mean, I get the whole "Wizard of Oz" connection in Doctor Who... I really do. What was odd was in order for us to go on our trip to Oz. The wicked witch literally had to come get Toto. I can't explain how it is things like this happen, they just do.

DSCF6976.JPG

You don't know how bad I wanted to jump up on the mirrored time machine display and pretend I'm Donna!

DSCF6977.JPG

Don't turn around, Don't blink!!! The Doctor Who exhibit wouldn't have been complete without this guy. It's hands down probably my second favorite episode in the whole series. The first... is of course... Doomsday. In fact I feel like Rose every time I have to leave the U.K.... Third favorite... series finale on 4rth Season....

DSCF6981.JPG

I couldn't forget about K-9!!! Which subsequently makes me think about Mickey... and the fact that almost every black guy in Cardiff looked like him... it was bit odd.

Of course the finale of the Doctor Who exhibition is the Daleks. (see above video) Really cool! Afterwards we spent a good 70 quid on a Torchwood Poster for moi, and some "secret" birthday presents for Chance's upcoming birthday.

After leaving the Doctor Who exhibition we dropped by Torchwood 3 for a unique photo opportunity:

DSCF6938.JPG

and then to another Torchwood filming location, Castle Cardiff:

DSCF6983.JPG

and TW3's front door:

DSCF6943.JPG

You might also recognize this restaurant from Doctor Who:

DSCF6944.JPG

Or several others from the show in the same shopping complex:
DSCF6946.JPG

We ate at one of them and loved it! Shannon got a bit tipsy on the wine and thought she was flying in a Tardis...

DSCF6949.JPG

The minutes were counting, and soon we had to make it back to the train station to head back to London... It was tough saying goodbye...

DSCF6952.JPG

I began to cry.... by the time we got back into London, my mascara was down my face and all I could hear in my head was this...
DSCF6962.JPG

All in all, I'm glad we got to embrace our inner child... it was a truly incredibly fun experience...

DSCF6956.JPG

Well, there's something else to add to "the list" of places to go with my partner in crime. :mrgreen: Glad you had a great time!
When it is not in our power to follow what is true, we ought to follow what is most probable. –Rene Descartes

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
March 20th, 2009, 7:01 am
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

I highly recommend dropping down to Cardiff any time you're in London.... Especially since it's so relaxed.... Even if it wasn't for the Doctor Who & Torchwood stuff... Best yet, as long as you book in advance you can get First Class on Great Western for about 20£.... Coach for about 11£ and you'll be guaranteed a loud mobile chatter if you elect for the quiet cabin.... We almost witnessed a fight over it.
March 20th, 2009, 12:29 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

"If I am being cynical, maybe Doctor Who and Torchwood being filmed in Cardiff and the surrounding area might make people look to the skies more than they would previously," he said. via

Oh come on... Cardiff can't be that weird on it's own....
April 9th, 2009, 8:00 am
Liv

These sightings in Wales included bright white objects over Anglesey, black disc shaped objects in the skies over Neath Port Talbot, objects moving like a football over Pontypridd and a UFO in Old Colwyn, Conwy, which was "bigger than a helicopter".

Bright white objects over Anglesey? I went camping in Anglesey - only to be woken at 7am by a ridiculously loud noise. I looked out of the tent and up into the afterburner of a Harrier Jump Jet from the RAF airfield.
harrier.jpg
All stupid ideas pass through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is ridiculed. Third, it is ridiculed
April 9th, 2009, 10:09 am
A Person

Apparently the Tardis made a stop at MIT:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbcamerica ... 78845@N20/

Wish it stopped at my college.... boohoo
August 26th, 2010, 2:34 pm
Liv

Return to Arts