Originals WTF? La Culture Geekery WWJD? The South Blog

Horse Meat in the USA

Food, Travel, Arts, and Pop-Culture

Postby Liv » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:12 pm

2945184217_1_3.jpg
2945184217_1_3.jpg (24.46 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
You know what I could go for? A nice juicy horse steak, but I can't find them anywhere.

My Belgian mom made me a horse a couple times, and I loved it. I'd also love to share it with my family, but despite it being legal, it's also taboo. A quick Google search yields me to zero online retailers willing to ship me some horse, which seems perplexing. Is there really that little of a market for horse?

A recently scandal in the U.K. found Tesco selling beef with up to 1/3 horse in it, and the country freaked out. Even more than the Subway foot-long scandal here (apparently they're only 11 inches). I have an old article on Nosh about how (when it was published) horse meat was typically found in parts of meats already sold in the U.S. This still could be the truth, and we do process a lot of it to be shipped to horse loving Belgians.

Anyone know a source for horse, PLEASE LMK, it's so delicious!
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Postby A Person » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:20 am

The US banned slaughtering horses for meat in 2007, since then horses have been shipped to Canada where it is possible to buy it, but it's rare. Mostly it's shipped to Europe but there are restaurants in Quebec where you can buy it. Horses are also used for meat in Mexico

One problem is that if horses have not been raised for consumption they may have dangerous drug residues

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/103 ... under-fire
A Person

Postby A Person » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:45 am

You can get it from the Metro Supermarket chain in Quebec, but I haven't seen it much outside Quebec
Metro wrote:
CULINARY TIPS AND ADVICE FOR COOKING HORSE MEAT

For delicious horse meat recipes, click on metro.ca!

Here are the most popular techniques that will help you cook horse meat to perfection. The information is presented in a way that allows you to master the basic principles yet provides you the leeway to add your own personal touch to both everyday meals and special-occasion dinners!

For best results, it is most important to select the best cut of meat for the chosen recipe. When in doubt, consult your METRO butcher; he will be happy to assist you!

Horse meat can be prepared in exactly the same way as beef.
Care must be taken when cooking horse meat because it is very tender and requires little time to cook. For maximum tenderness, it is always preferable to sear the meat quickly then reduce the heat until the meat is done.
Depending on personal taste, most cuts of horse meat can be eaten pink. Ground horse meat should, of course, be well done.
Each cut of meat has its own cooking method: tender and very tender cuts can be roasted, grilled, sautéed or pan-fried.
Horse meat has the inconvenience of being extremely fragile so it is easily contaminated, particularly ground meat.
A Person

Postby Liv » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:23 pm

My understanding is it is now legal as of 2011 to eat horse in the U.S.:

http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article ... for-human/

I'm hoping to make a trip up to Canada some time, but it sort of sucks till then.

Another hard one to get is lamb, but I did find that I can bulk purchase it at the Middle Eastern Bakery here.
Liv
Imagine What I Believe

Return to La Culture