greensboro news
General | Local / Regional | Food | Entertainment | Technology | Religion | Politics | Sports | Travel | How To | Classifieds | Beth's Blog
Greensboro Weather
::

Homeless on High Point rd and Begging For Food

By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:59 am

So I'm driving to work this morning and I decide to stop at Biscuitville. I'm debating even doing this because I'm running late, and I know I'm short on cash for the week. So I get off I-40 on High Point road, and swing around into Biscuitville next to Hooters. As I approach the drive-thru lane I see a tall lanky black man standing up against the wall in a polo shirt neatly tucked in to dress pants. The first thing I think is "Beggar" but I'm not sure why. In fact it's at this point I'm having a moral dilemma in my head as why I would make this assumption? Is it because he's black? Is it because he's standing outside of Biscuitville at 10:30AM on a Saturday? I tell myself to assume he's a business man who just enjoys standing outside of the restaurant and do that whole "no eye contact" thing we all do. It's then that he approaches my window and mumbles something. I didn't quite hear him, and I figured he was asking for money. I never have any, so my answer is usually: "Do you take debit."

But I turned down the radio and opened the door (my windows don't roll down) and asked him to repeat himself. He says "I'm homeless and hungry." It's at this point my mind is trying to find any reason, anything at all that will get me out of this one. The best I come up with is "I'll see what I can do." So I pull forward half way expecting the guy to climb on the car or walk behind me in the drive-thru. He does neither. I imagine he's probably wondering if I'll just drive off. In my head I'm trying to justify what I should do. First dilemma is do I do I buy him food? After all I'm poor too. Then I kind of get mad that the city of Greensboro allows all these homeless people just stand and beg. Then I get mad at myself for thinking something like that. Then it occurs to me, someone has just asked for my help. Another human-being is pleading for food. Imagine how tough that must be to ask for a basic necessity. He didn't ask for money, he asked for food.

OK I'm buying the guy a value meal.

Next dilemma is do I order him what I get? Or do I cheap out and buy him a sausage biscuit? I mean after-all "I worked for my money." But then I flick that little devil off my shoulder and tell myself to get the skinny black guy something nutritious. I ordered 2 number 12's: one for me and one for my homie. If your unfamiliar with Biscuitville's menu, it's a chicken club biscuit with tomato, lettuce, pickle, bacon, chicken, and cheese. Combined with their sweet tea and hash-browns, this guy might not have to beg the rest of the day.

Anyways, I'm still torn by the fact so many homeless people have erupted in the last 10 years here in Greensboro. We seem to almost welcome them, offering licenses to beg, and pretending our casual kindness is somehow a good deed making us better people. Don't get me wrong, I think I did the right thing. I think we should help people, but the face of Greensboro has changed. It is now a beggars paradise where we enable these individuals to do so. I don't have an answer to it, and technically I'm not the one who should. It's an answer that the city of Greensboro has failed to address. Sure they say they want to end homelessness in 10 years. But somehow, that sounds more like a PR moral "bullshit" then true commitment to change.
By Matt
The Voice of Reason and Dissension
Published: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:45 pm

What happened when you gave him the food?

That was pretty cool of you. I'm always torn what to do. I don't want to give money because you never know what it'll go for. Then I think, is what he spends it on any business of mine?

When I lived in CA, there was lady that was amzaingly pregnant for the 2 years (it was obviously a pillow or something) I saw her standing outside the take-out mexican joint we liked. She would always be asking for money. Each time I said "well tell me what you want off the menu and I'll get it for you". She would turn it down. Just wanted money.

Another time I saw a guy on the corner near a couple food places with his back pack. He wouldn't ask for money. He ask you to go get him something from Arby's or Mac Ds.

I went to Sams and got him a huge bag of oranges once. He about broke down crying. Hopefully not because he was allergic or something.

So getting them something to eat is usually the way to go.
Published: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:17 pm

He said God Bless you mam, and then went back up against the wall... I hope it didn't end up in the trash.
By Billy The Blogging Poet
Guest Columnist
Published: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:38 am

Far be it for me to offer suggestions except to say help when it feels like the thing to do.

-Billy
Published: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:48 am

Billy The Blogging Poet wrote:
Far be it for me to offer suggestions except to say help when it feels like the thing to do.

-Billy

I usually do, but it does seem to be getting a little overwelming here in Greensboro. It's funny, I picked up lunch at the Mcdonalds on the corner of Holden and High Point rd, and there was literally someone with a sign on every corner. Are we helping these individuals by allowing it, or are we enabling their lifestyle? Even Cara Michelle says they've tried to help individuals get off the street, but alot of them "arn't ready" (don't want to) to give up the lifestyle. We make it legal for them to stand there, and I understand compassion and giving when someone is in need. But there is this one individual thats been up on High Point road for over a year and half. Are we enabling them to hurt themselves because we're to worried about requiring them to seek assistance for food and money through government assistance? I mean I've been there, in the food stamp office. If I had too, I would have begged for my family, but I would have never become satisfied with making it a long term career.

The argument against that is, some can't help it... but Cara insists groups such as hers have offered. Isn't there something to be said about charity for someone picking and choosing at the expense of those who give?

I don't know... I'm torn on the issue. I just wish there was an easy answer.
By greensboropeerpressure
Published: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:30 pm

I like your new format.
diane
By BecauseHeLives
Features Reporter
Published: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:35 pm

The bible says that many will entertain angels and not know it>

Very Happy
Published: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:04 pm

Beth, thanks for this thoughtful post. I started to share my thoughts here, but my comment got too long, so I turned it into a post on my blog, here: http://chosenfast.blogspot.com/2006/09/on-panhandling-chronic-homelessness-in.html

Peace,
Cara Michele
http://chosenfast.com/
By meblogin
Guest Columnist
Published: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:27 pm

Beth,

I like how how you thought about the help given...the reasons not to and the better reasons to help.

That was really cool and I learned from you.
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Discussion & © 2005-2006

Advertise here

Sexy Shannon | Free Dish Network