greensboro news
General | Local / Regional | Food | Entertainment | Technology | Religion | Politics | Sports | Travel | How To | Classifieds | Beth's Blog
Greensboro Weather
::

America's Gay Army

By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:30 am

Matt Hill is planning on going down to the local Army recruiter here in Greensboro, and trying to enlist. The only problem is Matt is Gay.

What seems like a publicity stunt that might actually come from this site's creator is actually a well thought -out plan from the Soulforce Right to serve campaign.

While I understand their reasoning, why would anyone want to enlist. Would they actually do it, if all of a sudden the enlistment officer said "sure, sign right here- we changed that policy this morning."

I understand gays are discriminated, and sometimes the military is ass-backwards when it comes to diversity, but there is some kind of double edged sword when making your stand in a time of war when most heterosexuals wouldn't even want to enlist let alone most gay and Lesbian women.

While It's a jagged little pill that Matt will swallow while he walks that thin line in making a point, and becoming the poster child for gay enlistment, I say good luck to you guys. This is going to be something to watch.
By Matt
The Voice of Reason and Dissension
Published: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:57 am

So he's going to go and waste some recruiters time who is only trying doing his job. A job that does not make policy for.

Not cool. The ends do not justify the means at all.

This is totaly the wrong thing to do. He's screwing with a man's livlihood. Completely uncool.

Can I go to his group, have him organize a big rally with lots of time and effort only to cancel it later? Would that be ok to do to him?
Published: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:23 am

Matt wrote:
So he's going to go and waste some recruiters time who is only trying doing his job. A job that does not make policy for.

Not cool. The ends do not justify the means at all.

This is totaly the wrong thing to do. He's screwing with a man's livlihood. Completely uncool.

Can I go to his group, have him organize a big rally with lots of time and effort only to cancel it later? Would that be ok to do to him?

That's a very good point.
Published: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:40 am

Matt... this isn't a publicity stunt and it isn't meant to waste any one's time.

Greensboro is only one of 30 cities where this will be taking place this fall. This week, in fact, will also see similar enlistments and events in Phoenix and New York City (on Wednesday).

For thirteen years the LGBT community, as well as our always supportive straight allies, have fought politically and legally, in DC and in the Courts, to see the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy go away. In thirteen years, nothing has changed on a statutory level. The close to, if not more than 1000 youth involved in the national Soulforce Right to Serve Campaign (http://www.righttoserve.org) are tired of waiting. We are taking our fight to our hometowns and cities. We are taking our commitment to equality to the people, not the representatives in DC or the judges in the courts.

Me, Jessica, Alex and Stacey truly want to enlist. We are answering the call to duty on September 21st. If the Recruiters were to say "Yes, America will have you" on September 21st, we would gladly, honorably and proudly serve our country. At the same time, however, we are unwilling to lie about who we are in order to serve our country.

You are right. The Recruiter can't change national law. But we can, in the attempted enlistment and with our supporters in the sit-in, be the physical manifestation of discrimination. We can be the faces, not the numbers and statistics, of those who are affected by Don't Ask, Don't Tell. We can inspire the citizens of Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point and all of North Carolina to take action by speaking up and telling their representatives to sponsor the Military Readiness Enhancement Act (MREA), HR 1059, and have Don't Ask, Don't Tell repealled.

In a Fox 8 interview on Sunday, September 17th, Congressman Howard Coble said he would have no problem with me serving as an openly gay man, in response the reporters question of whether or not I should be allowed to serve openly and honestly. Congressman Mel Watt said that he has never been a "big fan" of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. If they truly feel this way, why don't they join Congressman Brad Miller in co-sponsoring the MREA?

Don't Ask, Don't Tell is government-sanctioned discrimination against lesbian, gay and bisexual people. It is a double-edged sword of oppression which keeps willing, competent and able-bodied people out of the service simply because of their sexual orientation while at the same time keeping those lesbian, gay and bisexual servicemembers currently fighting for our freedoms and equality serving in silence, fear and hiding, knowing that at anytime they could lose their jobs, their livelihood or worse, simply because of the sexual orientation.

On September 21st, openly gay youth in Greensboro, NC, will take a stand and will answer the call to duty? Across the nation this fall, other openly gay youth will do the same. How will this great nation answer their call and how will this great nation respond?
Published: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:03 pm

This is going to be the equivilant of an internet hacker executing a denial-of-service attack on a website.

You're gong to intentional log-jam an office to get attention. It doesn't matter if it's just locally, or nation wide. Wrong is still wrong no matter the scale.

This is a political football that you think is about rights. It's about cost.

I've been through basic training. I'll give you one of many issues with your cause:

You live in a dormitory situation with community showers. Much like a female recruit would have a problem with me seeing her naked and sleeping next to her, others would have the same problem of someone openly gay seeing them naked and sleeping next them.

So what's the solution. Don't even try the "oh they should just goet over it" agrument because then we'll have one big community shower and sleeping room for everyone. Think that will work?

So what's the solution? Build separate gay and lesbian dorms? How much will that cost?
By BecauseHeLives
Features Reporter
Published: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:47 pm

Quote:
Don't Ask, Don't Tell is government-sanctioned discrimination against lesbian, gay and bisexual people. It is a double-edged sword of oppression which keeps willing, competent and able-bodied people out of the service simply because of their sexual orientation while at the same time keeping those lesbian, gay and bisexual servicemembers currently fighting for our freedoms and equality serving in silence, fear and hiding, knowing that at anytime they could lose their jobs, their livelihood or worse, simply because of the sexual orientation

The first thing you have to ask yourself is this. Is the government doing this TO discriminate or to keep disorder out of our armed forces? I think the latter is the answer. There is no easy way or inexpensive way to "accomodate" gays in the military and we can't risk the defense of this nation because a few gay people feel their supposed "rights" are being oppressed. Get over it. Gays are not being oppressed by keeping them from enlisting.

By matthillnc
Guest Columnist
Published: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:22 pm

But you forget about those lesbian, gay and bisexual servicemembers currently in the military (estimated at approx. 65,000):

Quote:
while at the same time keeping those lesbian, gay and bisexual servicemembers currently fighting for our freedoms and equality serving in silence, fear and hiding, knowing that at anytime they could lose their jobs, their livelihood or worse, simply because of the sexual orientation

Yes... Don't Ask, Don't Tell is government-sanctioned discrimination. When openly gay people are told in Philadelphia that they are "morally and administratively ineligible" to serve, yes, that is discrimination and oppression. Don't Ask, Don't Tell states to lesbian, gay and bisexual people that they are unworthy, unable and not fit to serve. People said that integrating the military racially would cause problems. They said keeping a segregated military was meant to protect black troops. They said that integration would cause morale to go down and would cause problems. None of that was true and none of that would be true now.

By Matt
Published: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:39 pm

matthillnc wrote:
They said keeping a segregated military was meant to protect black troops. They said that integration would cause morale to go down and would cause problems. None of that was true and none of that would be true now.

But we're talking 2 different situations here. Yes you could argue that discrimination is discrimination.

But in fact it's sexuality as opposed to skin color.

Look at this from a funding point of view. Please don't infer any race bigotry. I'm using this for example.

What extra accomodations do you need to have blacks in the military? None. You don't need to separate folks based on skin color. There's no sexual issue between straight black men and straight white men. Same with women.

What extra accomodations do you need to house gay and straight people? Lots. Expensive ones too. Why? Because there's going to be issues with gay and straight men living, showering, etc in close proximity.
By BecauseHeLives
Features Reporter
Published: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:56 pm

Quote:
When openly gay people are told in Philadelphia that they are "morally and administratively ineligible" to serve, yes, that is discrimination and oppression.

I think oppression might be a bit of a strong word here. Repression maybe but not oppression. Oppression brings to mind blacks decades ago, the jews during WW2 and maybe the indian race back in the 1800s. Simply because you are not qualified (by military standards) does not mean you are oppressed. You are disqualified for very good reasons mainly because openly gay people in the military would be exceptionally disruptive and that is not acceptable. If the military had a policy to exclude circus clowns because it had a tendency to distract soldiers then I support it. It doesn't mean that circus clowns are being oppressed and they should get together are march to the enlistments stations (although that would be quite funny). What you are doing however is not funny.

By matthillnc
Guest Columnist
Published: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:19 pm

Quote:
What extra accomodations do you need to house gay and straight people? Lots. Expensive ones too. Why? Because there's going to be issues with gay and straight men living, showering, etc in close proximity.

Great Britain, Canada and Israel, all three countries with which the US currently works and with which our soldiers are currently serving side by side with their soldiers, all allow openly gay people to enroll. They don't seem to have a problem. Great Britain isn't suffering - they are still a major world power.

Furthermore, because these countries already allow openly gay people to enlist, our soldiers are ALREADY serving with openly gay people in Iraq and Afghanistan and other areas. There doesn't seem to be a problem with gay and straight people in those situations.

By Matt
Published: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:25 pm

matthillnc wrote:

Furthermore, because these countries already allow openly gay people to enlist, our soldiers are ALREADY serving with openly gay people in Iraq and Afghanistan and other areas. There doesn't seem to be a problem with gay and straight people in those situations.

Yes and that is after basic training, after technical training. To understand how basic training works, you have to go through it.

I went through it in 1990. Unless they've changed how they do things, implementing your solution won't work.

And just because other countries are doing it and not airing their dirty laundry, doesn't mean it's working well or that the US should be required to follow along.

Don't you see the doors this opens? If I'm forced to take a shower in a community shower, like you have to do in basic and tech school, with someone who is attracted to my gender, why couldn't I shower with a gender I'm attracted to? Would that not be truly equal and fair for all? That's what you're seeking, correct?
By matthillnc
Guest Columnist
Published: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:43 pm

I think you missed my point. OUR soldiers... US soldiers are already serving with openly gay people in our coalition forces with Great Britain, Canada and Israel. They don't seem to have a problem with it now.

Whatever excuse a person can make to say gay people can't serve sidesteps the issue that this policy says gay people are "morally and administratively ineligible" to serve. The people who so vehemently uphold this policy certainly aren't listening to our very own troops. Time and time again, soldier after soldier says that whether or not a person is gay doesn't matter. As long as that person can do his or her job, his or her sexual orientation doesn't matter. Our own soldiers are saying that.

Maybe that wasn't the case in 1993. Maybe that wasn't the case 20 years ago, but it is certainly the case now.

From a NY Times article:

Quote:
The new debate on “don’t ask, don’t tell” also coincides with multiple deployments that are being required of many American troops by a military that has lowered its standards to allow more high school dropouts and some convicted criminals to enlist.

“Would you rather have a felon than a gay soldier?” said Capt. Scott Stanford, a heterosexual National Guard commander of a headquarters company who returned from Iraq in June. “I wouldn’t.”

Lt. Gen. Daniel W. Christman, retired, former superintendent at West Point and onetime assistant to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said both the British experience and the shifts in attitudes at home would cause the American armed forces to change, though slowly.

“It is clear that national attitudes toward this issue have evolved considerably in the last decade,” said General Christman, now a senior vice president at the United States Chamber of Commerce. “This has been led by a new generation of service members who take a more relaxed and tolerant view toward homosexuality.”

NY TIMES

Whether the minority (yes - the minority - poll after poll says Americans want DADT to go) like or not, Don't Ask, Don't Tell and government-sanctioned discrimination against lesbian, gay and bisexual servicemembers and those wishing to serve will very quickly be a thing of the past.

By Matt
Published: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:58 pm

If I'm forced to take a shower in a community shower, like you have to do in basic and tech school, with someone who is attracted to my gender, why couldn't I shower with a gender I'm attracted to? Would that not be truly equal and fair for all? That's what you're seeking, correct?

There's many poligamists living in the U.S. already. Should we just legalize that? Should they be allowed to openly serve? Do we support all their dependants?
By Matt
Published: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:40 pm

Saw the blurb on the news about this. Not sure if I'll bother catching it. Since this was premeditated, I do hope they are fined for the cost of police and court time.

A lot of people judge my responses and questions to these issues as being anti-gay. That's not the case.

I blast Matt Hill and his group at time not because what they stand for, but because they don't think issues and actions all the way through.

If things are to change and they want to be true change agents, they are going to have to address tough issues and come up with solutions or at least make concessions to them. Otherwise they will only be considered only a nuisance.

The tough question that will need to be answered is this (and let's assume gays are allowed to openly serve): Should a straight military member be forced to share living quarters with an openly gay military member? It is the exact same issue as separating men and women into different quarters. If equality is what gays want, then they must accept that equality for them should not take away equality from another group.

Otherwise it's not equality they seek, it's privilege.

Now please Matt Hill. Give me a well thought out answer to my question.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:27 pm

http://www.greensboring.com/upimages/reg/images/5296dadtgreensboro.jpg

From Pam's blog.
By Matt L.
Published: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:05 pm

To the Matt that pointed out that housing gay men with straight men during basic training would not work, I have a question:

Why would it not work? Would it be because some straight men would feel uncomfortable sleeping in the same room as a gay man?

Why can't the straight men learn to accept the gay man? Why does the gay man have to be punished?

Finally - have you completed a comprehensive survey of all enlisted heterosexual servicemembers to determine if in fact a statistical majority of them support "Don't Ask, Don't Tell?" Just wondering, because I have close friends who fought in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and in discussions with them they said that they would have had no problem with a gay man fighting alongside them, in fact they would have welcomed the extra firepower.

There is no scientific basis for "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". It is a policy that came about as a way of appeasing those who favor outright discrimination, nothing more, nothing less.
By Matt
Published: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:05 am

Why wouldn't it work? Anything can "work". Depends on the definition of what is working.

So I'm forced to share quarters and community shower with someone of opposite sexuality, why couldn't I share living quarters and community showers with straight women?

On the same stance, I should able to share with lesbians too.

Isn't this what would be fair to all?

Why will no one answer this question?
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Discussion & © 2005-2006

Advertise here

Sexy Shannon | Free Dish Network