greensboro news
::

The Definitive Greensboro Blog Thread & List

By beth
Executive Editor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:59 pm
The Definitive Greensboro Blog Thread & List
I'm in the process of figuring out what the hell to do about my blog list.... until I do... you can check out my handy dandy,
By Billy The Blogging Poet
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:09 pm
Me, A Stoner?
Okay, so there was a time when I... but that was in my fairy tale life. I've been peeing in bottles and passing the tests since 1988. Actually, I find I do my funniest stuff early in the morning, usually in the shower, and rarely with a buzz unless I have to take one of my allergy pills which usually leaves me passed out slumped over my keyboard.

Would you believe that much of what I write comes in my dreams? Poems, stories, even entire novels from dreams. It's cool except for the fact that I can't eat, sleep, or work at anything else until I write the whole story down. You can get mighty hungry in the three weeks or so it takes me to type a 300 page novel.

Considering how much weight I've gained lately, maybe I need to dream up another novel.

Not that I can't be fun at a party, I love being the center of attention be it on my blog or on a stage. And no, I'm not at all mic shy. I know most poets and authors are supposed to be <S>inverted</S> introverted and such, but for me it just ain't working.

PS. Like children's poetry and stories? Check out my child-safe site http://www.laureateskids.com

PPS. Be careful picking on Ed Cone. He's the Blogfather. Ed's a really cool guy who has been great to the rest of us and is a big part of why Greensboro was named Blogsboro by the Los Angeles Times.
By beth
Executive Editor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:58 pm
Greensboro's Radio DJ Blogs
http://www.greensboring.com/pod/1075.jpg

Greensboro's Radio DJ Blogs

I luckily stumbled upon two of Greensboro's Radio DJ's Blogs on MySpace. Both are DJ's with 107.5 here in Greensboro and apart of Jack Murphy's Morning show. Forgive them for blogging on MySpace, its still an interesting read.

Josh In The Box Blog

Josie's Blog
By beth
Executive Editor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:25 pm
Top 10 Reasons to Blog
Reasons to Blog

Joel Writes why he blogs, but didn't include the real reasons why all of us blog, so I thought I'd list them for him. Other then that, awesome post. Smile

1. World Domination
2. To Be Laughed at By the real Media.
3. Something to do while drinking.
4. Something to do when you should be working.
5. Your 24 years old, on Myspace, and Mom & Dad have no clue. You REBEL!
6. You get a power seizure everytime you say your job title is "Internet Publisher & Author"
7. You like the feeling you get when you post pictures from your Camera Phone, and write "You saw it here first folks."
8.Your children now call you Blog-Momma or BigBlogDaddy
9. The newspaper just has that 12 hours old feel everytime you read it.
10. Because you can say what ever the heck you want...

...and then have 10,000 people tell you your an idiot for saying it.
By joelgillespie
Guest Columnist
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:24 pm
have You Been In My House
Graet Post Beth, except number five should be 15 years old! Joel.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:31 pm
11. Your stalking Ed Cone.
12. Jesus told you to do it.
13. Group Therapy?
By Matt
The Voice of Reason and Dissension
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:29 am
Greensboro101
Dropping like flies.

Incidently, I've been to Greensboro101. It's hard to follow and decide where to start reading.

Folks over there need to organize a bit more before trying to sell it. Although I question the business sence of trying to sell something that's free elsewhere.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:17 am
Greensboro101 is a bit confusing for anyone the first time. I know for myself it seemed a little bit foreign when I first began visiting there. I've been blogging for about 7 years, (on other sites) although when I started we didn't call it that. When I moved back to Greensboro a few years ago, I wanted to start blogging about Greensboro and looked into it, and found Greensboro101 and all of the bloggers here. It's funny because about year prior to that I almost bought Greensboro101.com as a deleted domain. Greensboro101 does take a bit of getting used to, but the fact Roch has made it work, and people do use it as a tool to keep up with local blogs is a real asset to our community.

I think if Roch ever attempted to make the website look more like a newspaper, he'd attract more non-bloggers. If he ever took the site to print, as a small time newspaper using blogger's articles I think it would be interesting. I think as time progresses though his site will become more and more important as Greensboro bloggers gain a larger strong-hold over "big media." Being his site is like only 2 years old, I have a feeling your going to see the site really take off in the next few years. Roch's a smart guy and he deserves all the credit for bringing a interesting new form of journalism to a city that needed a little kick in the ass.
By Roch101
Guest Columnist
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:50 pm
Thanks for the kind words, Beth.

Matt, Greensboro101 was started just over a year ago. When it first came online it was a big experiment just to see if we could even make a site that could do some of the things I and other bloggers wanted it to do. People loved it... for about two days. Then they started critiquing and offering suggestions. It changed a lot in the early stages as I tried to respond to what people requested. It was a good lesson for me for, while far from perfect, it is much better because of suggestions than it would have been had I ignored them.

So I'm very receptive to suggestions. You can email me at [email protected] or call me at 288-2245. I have some improvements in mind, including somethings that will make navigating to local blogs easier, but I'd really like to hear your suggestions too.
By Matt
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:35 am
Well truth be told, I had your site mixed up with another blog site. Yours is leaps and bound ahead of them.

But here's just a random idea:

I like the .phpBB style board because you can quickly check what's new without havig to review each section. If that could somehow be done for each of the blogs, then it would be easier to check in.

Of course you might already have a feature such as this going on, and a dope like me isn't seeing it. Confused
By Roch101
Guest Columnist
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:28 am
You're right
Thanks for your observations, Matt. That is exactly the thing I want to make more prominent. I think this may be what you are looking for, which is available as Local Blogs from the main page, but it could better integrate into the site.
By Matt
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:13 am
Yep that's what I meant.

Maybe a note like "click to see the latest" or something like that would help for the blogger-challenged people like myself.
By Matt
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:41 am
GSO Blogs: Boring Fluff
I cruised around the more popular Greensboro blog sites. Some are just a personal sounding board, others are aspiring to become online newspapers.

My conclusion: Boring fluff. Now with the exception of this site which voices opinions and dabates some real issues and content (that's why I come back here), all the other sites are too worried about being politically correct and not rocking the boat too much.

Why? Who knows. Fear? Fear of what? It's a freaking blog. It's supposed to be a place to voice your opinions and hear other opinions. Any time I finally see something interesting on these other sites, I click the link to find the author has written "Due to the fact I have no spine and am afraid people will make fun of me, I have removed this story". Puss.

Any time someone posts something really interesting, even if it's a bit of satire, people come crying "Waa waa waa...stop picking on me or I will tell my mommy".

Give me a freakng break. If I want snoring-boring news and one-direction communication, I'll read the paper.

I read the stories about the "hot Greensboro blog scene". Well I hate to break it you, it's still the textile scene: weaving that fluffy cotton into different looking material. But it's still fluffy cotton.
By matthillnc
Guest Columnist
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:52 pm
FYI - The web address for me is now www.matthillnc.com. I left blogspot in, like, late January I think. TTYL
Executive Editor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:56 pm
Fixed.
By Matt
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:52 am
I still prefer the forum format. I can't follow along any of those sites.
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Channels::
General
Local / Regional
Food
Entertainment
Technology
Religion
Politics
Sports
Travel