greensboro news
Beth's FP Blog | NC / Local | Food | Entertainment | Tech & Science | Religion & philosophy | Politics | Cars & Sports | World / Travel | Diy / How To | Classifieds | Back Page / Misc.
Greensboro Weather
::

Its time for highrise construction in downtown Greensboro

By Knightrider
Features Reporter
Published: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:23 pm

I think it time for Greensboro's skyline to start growing. we havnt seen a new tower under construction since 1989. I know the office market isnt doing good in Greensboro which expains we there are no office towers being built downtown. but I do think downtown can handle highrise condos or highrise mixed-use which combines a small amount of office, residential, retail and restaurants. Why are downtown residential developers afraid to go above 4 or 5 stories?
By BecauseHeLives
Features Reporter
Published: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:02 pm

I just don't think thee is a business need to do so. If a developer can't find somebody wanting to go downtown then they aren't going to build.

"Stay away from the caffeine. It'll only make you do stupid things FASTER!"
By Matt
The Voice of Reason and Dissension
Published: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:16 pm

It would be nice but there has to be demand for office space.

A nice place to eat at the top would attact of lot of special event things. But you gotta fill the space on the floors below.
Features Reporter
Published: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:20 pm

Matt wrote: It would be nice but there has to be demand for office space.

A nice place to eat at the top would attact of lot of special event things. But you gotta fill the space on the floors below.

There used to be a nice place to eat at the top of the JP building and even that's not there now.

"Stay away from the caffeine. It'll only make you do stupid things FASTER!"
By SouthernFriedInfidel
Knight of BAAWA
Published: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:58 pm

Knightrider wrote: I think it time for Greensboro's skyline to start growing. we havnt seen a new tower under construction since 1989. I know the office market isnt doing good in Greensboro which expains we there are no office towers being built downtown. but I do think downtown can handle highrise condos or highrise mixed-use which combines a small amount of office, residential, retail and restaurants. Why are downtown residential developers afraid to go above 4 or 5 stories?

We have tons of office space going to seed in Greensboro right now. If we can't get it filled now, why would anyone go to the risk of building anything new?
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard ... and too damn cheap" -- K. Vonnegut (message to be carved into the Grand Canyon as a note to aliens visiting in the future)
By Knightrider
Features Reporter
Published: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:13 pm

im talking about mixed-use residential towers.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:20 pm

I just don't think it's in most peoples interest in Greensboro to live in a New York style building downtown.... When we run out of land, then maybe...
By Sanjuro
Lacky
Published: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:27 pm

It would certainly be in MY interest. It's one of the things I like about places like NYC. But then again, that certainly wouldn't have been the case if I hadn't experienced it in some way. Most people in Greensboro won't do it because its different. People around here seem to be afraid of "new".

Right now I'd just be happy if they ripped down the Greensboro Inn. Its my personal quest. Very Happy
...no one ever need identify himself as a non-astrologer or a non-alchemist. Consequently, we do not have words for people who deny the validity of these pseudo-disciplines. Likewise, “atheism” is a term that should not even exist.
-Sam Harris

Reply to topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Advertise here

dish network
Shannon's Mom Hack