greensboro news
General | Local / Regional | Food | Entertainment | Technology | Religion | Politics | Sports | Travel | How To | Classifieds | Beth's Blog
Greensboro Weather
::

Gay Funeral Protests & Fred Phelps

By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:36 pm

I just finished watching the 10 o'clock Fox news, and was absolutely dumbfounded when they showed a group of idiot Christians protesting at a fallen soldiers funeral. Seriously, I've calmed down since watching it. This is the single stupidest thing I've ever seen. Why are they protesting? Because of homosexuality. Was the soldier gay? No. They are protesting because the guy fought for a country that supports homosexuality in their opinion. The segment showed protesters yelling to the family "Your son is going to Hell"

These people should be shot. These people should be tied down, gang raped by a San Francisco Zoo gorilla and then shot in the head by Elton John.

What is wrong with Christians today? Seriously. I know its not all of you, but you gay haters really need some therapy.

This was the single most disgusting thing I've ever heard out the God Mongers. The guy stood and fought for a country that sent him to death over oil and greed. He had nothing to do with furthering the gay movement in America, and you just pissed over his family's last memories. I hope to God someone shows up at your funeral and makes Gay love on your headstone. Seriously I hope people see this hate, and this horrid atrocity and run, run, run-away far from your religious cult.
By Matt
The Voice of Reason and Dissension
Published: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:18 am

I didn't see this. Can you elaborate or find a link?

Was this local?
Published: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:40 pm

No it was like Minnesota or something, but they ran like a 5 minute segment on Fox 8 last night at ten. I seriously thought this has got to be a load of crap, but nope they had film crews at the funeral shooting all these people with signs protesting this poor kids funeral.

Try this, it pulled up some stuff on it.
By Matt
Published: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:11 pm

Excerpt from Turlock Journal

Quote:
Protesters happy that soldier Chad Gonsalves was killed in Afghanistan earlier this month will picket his Turlock funeral Monday, as a second group tries to shield their message from service-goers.

The Westboro Baptist Church, led by Rev. Fred Phelps, believes American soldiers are dying at God's hands for defending a country that accepts homosexuality.

“Our job is to cause America to know its abomination,” said Shirley Phelps-Roper, daughter of the Rev. Phelps and attorney for the church.

Trying to block the church's “Thank God for dead soldiers,” “God blew up the troops” and “God hates America” signs will be members of the Patriot Guard Riders.

If I'm reading that correctly, they are saying God killed the soilders.

Bring that sh!! to Greensboro. I personally will lead the public confrontation.

Weird though. Never thought I'd see an issue where gays and soilders would stand together on.

By Paul R
Guest Columnist
Published: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:32 pm

I too saw this on the news and yet again this morning. I wanted to cram a big apple in that womens mouth who was speaking out. Maybe the apple would remind her about 9/11. Those protesters are to stupid to see who is giving them the freedom to speak out like that. And I never heard anything about this war being about homo-sexual rights before...You?

I was glad to see the motorcycle riders being there to stifle the so-called Christian protesters. They were being so un-Christian like in my opinion to be protesting at that families darkest hour.

God too has a place for so called Christians like that I guess...at the whipping post perhaps.
Published: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:38 am

God doesnt approve of gays but he always said it is not our place to judge other ppl. thats his place. now, protesting at a funeral is the most disrespectful thing i have ever heard of a human doing!! that is crap as beth said. its crazy to think about how inhumane a person can be...it sickens me to no end!!!
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:28 am

Quote:
God doesnt approve of gays

I will kindly disagree with this statement. It is your interpretation of the bible that leads you to believe God does not approve of gays. This does not necessarily mean your interpretation is correct, or that God doesn't approve of gays.

By Matt
Published: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:41 am

While doing some research after watching the movie Constantine, I happen upon the verses discussing this very issue. They are pretty direct and explicit.

Got this from http://www.catholicity.com/commentary/hudson/12myths.html

Old Testament:

Quote:
"But before [the angels] lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house; and they called to Lot, 'Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may know them.' Lot went out of the door to the men, shut the door after him, and said, 'I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly. Behold, I have two daughters who have not known man; let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please; only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof.' But they said, 'Stand back!' And they said, 'This fellow came to sojourn, and he would play the judge! Now we will deal worse with you than with them.' Then they pressed hard against the man Lot, and drew near to break the door. But the men put forth their hands and brought Lot into the house to them, and shut the door.. (Genesis 19:4-10)

Quote:
"Just as Sodom and Gomor'rah and the surrounding cities, which likewise acted immorally and indulged in unnatural lust, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.. (Jude 7)

Quote:
"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination." (Leviticus 18:22)

New Testament

Quote:
"For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error.." (Romans 1:26-27)

Now I have not cracked open a Bible to see if this statement is in fact what it says. One of my goals is to read the Bible and Koran cover to cover.

Let's keep in mind too, if you're going by the Bible as absolute, it also say we are not to judge others, take a superior stance, or get into peoples faces and tell them how wrong they are. We're suppose to encourage and support each other without aggression or condemnation.

Something else to ponder (I was raised Catholic so I speak from experience). Catholics are not against homosexuals, just the act of same-sex, sex. Why? Because it interupts the natural intension of that act to produce life. Catholics also use the Bible more as a guide to understanding what they beleive God wants of them. Other religions use the Bible more as direct operating procedures. Does that make one better than the other? I don't know.

Now I don't 100% agree with these teachings. Catholics also say birth control is a no-no for the same reason. So is birth control and homosexual acts the same "level" of sin? I don't know. But I do believe that birth control is very appropriate for a family (along with other situations but I'll just stick to a family) that has kids but does not have the means to have more. I'd think it was more wrong to pump out a bunch of kids you cannot provide a good life for.

Finally part of my soap box speach, like all religions, you'll find many extremes and variation from church to church within a religion. The church we like to attend, when we do go, is a little more open minded on some things, but not as much as others. That's why people who choose to attend church should not go with a "tell me exactly what to do" mindset. We must think a little and decide what is right and wrong.

I find the idea of religion and guiding peoples lives (if they choose to seek some guidance) to be a good thing. What I don't like is individual churches that get drunk on power and try this dogmatic approach to controling the member.

By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:03 pm

Without being disastrously defensive, its still all a matter of opinion.

Some people include the laws of the old testament, some don't.

Alongside of the passages you've mentioned as well as others who are anti-gay are instructions to stone people, or to keep woman out of church during menstruation, there are rules against shell fish, and wearing tassels from your head. There are also rules for building fences on your rooftop. Depending on what you believe, and what parts of the Bible you adhere to, or ignore will ultimately decide if or if not you believe Jesus is against homosexuality. Then even if you include certain passages, (ie such as "man will not lay with man....") those are even up for debate. Most biblical scholars have even admitted that passage has less to do with homosexuality, and more to do with male prostitution that was common at the time.

Honestly I've given up trying to explain it long time ago. Its all on how you want to interpret it. As I've pointed out, there are several verses that actually insinuate Jesus had same-sex relations. I'm more inclined to believe that, then that God would create Gays, just to hate them.... but again that's just my opinion.
By Matt
Published: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:44 pm

beth wrote:
I'm more inclined to believe that, then that God would create Gays, just to hate them.... but again thats just my opinion.

Well I thought you didn't believe in God so I'd assume you wouldn't and couldn't have an opinion on interprettng the Bible. It would be all bunk and invalid if you didn't believe in God.

I'd be curious to read the passages hinting at the sexuality of Jesus. More for curiousity than anything.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:09 pm

I don't believe in God. However I'm not so closed minded to say that if evidence ever existed to change my mind, I would do so. At this point in my life when I weigh all the information I've seen, its led me to believe no there is not a God. I am not a preacher of agnostics or Atheism though, and I'm just fine and dandy if you or anyone else believes in God, Allah, Buddha, or anything else. Most religions have good parts and bad parts. When I have a conflict of issues is when people try to interpret the moral character of someone based on an isolated passage of the bible.

I'm okay with saying, "Matt's Christian, and he thinks gay is not OK." That's your opinion, and as long as you let that guide your life. Swell, go for it. But when someone says "I'm christian, and your gay, so your a heathen.", I feel that's wrong. It's not God judging that gay person, its that christian. He or She is trying to impose their interpretation of the Bible on someone else. If God him or herself came down from heaven above, sat here in my living room and said "Beth, Gay people suck." then hey I'd believe it, but unfortunately all we have to go on is a 2000 year old collection of writings that have been handed down, edited, and translated numerous times, and are vague in their most direct intentions. Even the different books in the bible give conflicting accounts of the same stories. You cannot tell me that this person who says gays are bad is without a doubt 100% correct. All you can say, is this is how me and my religious beliefs interpret the bible, and this is how I choose to lead my life, and I'm okay with that.

For the Jesus is gay post (which you posted on before) it's right here:

By Matt
Published: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:31 pm

who said I was anti-gay? I was just sharing what I had found. Geez I have to explain the difference between research and what my opinion is AGAIN?

I found the link to the verse. From what I read, it could be taken many, MANY different ways. Bible is open for interpretation. But that verse supposedly quoted in the link doesn't even hint as to which way to go.

I noticed you didn't list the verse. So I followed the link and looked up the quoted verse. Mark 10, 34:35 doesn't say anything like that.

It's not even close to saying that.

Not a very credible argument.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:48 am

Matt wrote:
who said I was anti-gay?

I was just making a generalized example using your name, didn't mean to imply anything.

I'll have to look into the verse a little further, but your right, everything is left up to interpretation. (Also remember they're several different written versions of the bible.)

My uncle passed away last night, so we're leaving today for Ohio, or I'd find some more information on it. Google: Jesus is (was) gay and you should find many articles on it.

However just being aware of what time period it was, and that same sex relationships was more of a norm then it is today, I'd say its very possible that he might not have been gay but did have an occasional fling with the guys just to beat out hornyness.
By Matt
Published: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:50 am

Happy Easter! Laughing

You know I keep havnig the notion that we'll get to the after-life one day and there will God to greet us.

He'll be shaking his head, laughing, and saying "Man you guys are a whacked! I just wanted you all to behave and try to get along. Where'd you get all this other crap from?"
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:36 pm

Thanks. I know its something that's played heavily on my mind this week. They did a catholic funeral ceremony for him, and I made sure I said every Amen, and Lord Be with you. I hope there is an afterlife. Because it's really sad if there isn't. It's just been a really crappy week, and its really tough to bury a loved one, when you can't convince yourself there is something after this life.
By Tybalt
Published: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:07 am

I did see that report, and I can honestly say that it's the only thing I've ever seen that's made me want to kill someone. I am a very peaceful, non-confrontational person and I believe violence should always be a last resort or no resort. But I think that woman needs to just die. OR get the fuck out of this country. These people think it's OK to invade a family's life like this and tell them that their son is going to hell for protecting the very thing they're practicing. Disgusting. Just disgusting. It's those kinds of things that make me ashamed to be not only an American, but a human being.

I am no christian, I won't lie. But I have read the Bible. Nowhere did I read that being homosexual was enough to get you into hell. As a matter of fact, in an experiment conducted at a University in Oregon, some scientists studied male Rams that would not mount ewes. They would only mount other Rams. These males were attracted only to the pheramones that other males gave off, much like a human being. So if homosexuality is hereditary, as it's been theorized and has become more and more accpeted as truth, then why would God create something that would be damned from birth? It makes no sense.

I thought the Bible was a good story, but it was nothing more than that to me. Just a story. Had a few good lessons in there. A few bad ones. But too many people take it too literally and follow it as a rule book rather than a guidebook. And these ignorant, ungrateful, disgusting human beings further my resentment toward our own species even more.

One time I had a christian woman wearing a rosary approach me and ask me if I had embraced Jesus as my savior. I calmly and plainly told her that I renounced my Christianity, but truly have every respect for the religion and one's freedom to practice whichever religion one chooses to follow. She frowned at me, handed me a brochure and told me, "In the first commandment, our Lord the savior said, 'You shall have no other gods before Me.' I will pray for you. Repent and perhaps you will be saved."
Before she had a chance to walk away, I told her, "I don't need you to pray for me. And I definately don't need you to recite the commandments to me," and handed her back the brochure.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:08 am

Quote:
But I have read the Bible. Nowhere did I read that being homosexual was enough to get you into hell.

Thank you lord! Finally someone agrees with me on this.

By Matt
Published: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:21 am

Old Testament:

Quote:
"But before [the angels] lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house; and they called to Lot, 'Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may know them.' Lot went out of the door to the men, shut the door after him, and said, 'I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly. Behold, I have two daughters who have not known man; let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please; only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof.' But they said, 'Stand back!' And they said, 'This fellow came to sojourn, and he would play the judge! Now we will deal worse with you than with them.' Then they pressed hard against the man Lot, and drew near to break the door. But the men put forth their hands and brought Lot into the house to them, and shut the door.. (Genesis 19:4-10)

Quote:
"Just as Sodom and Gomor'rah and the surrounding cities, which likewise acted immorally and indulged in unnatural lust, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.. (Jude 7)

Quote:
"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination." (Leviticus 18:22)

New Testament

Quote:
"For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error.." (Romans 1:26-27)

How those passages are translated from the origianl Hebrew text is another issue.

By JQPublic
Published: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:36 pm

Fred Phelps and his group is a primitive Baptist church I believe in Kansas. According to some reports he is a liberal. I have no way of proving it but have seen rumors.

I have also heard rumors he has five or six kids and all of them are lawyers. If they are confronted by anyone at the funerals, they bring up charges against whoever confronted them.

Here is the website

http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/index.html

The first thing you notice is the un-mistakable upside down American flag. You will also see many things that God-fearing Christians like myself despise.

His bit is not an act out of ignorance!
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:10 am

If that guy is a liberal, then I'm a freaking nun... Bottom line, I won't even throw this nut into the conservatives label, because they don't even deserve this wack-job. This is someone who should litterally, (and I don't say this lightly) disapear, only to show up 50 years from now in the psychiatric ward.
By Guest

Published: Tue May 02, 2006 2:00 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Matt wrote:
I didn't see this. Can you elaborate or find a link?

Was this local?

Fox News Video of Protest

Ok and I want to say that this is NOT my opinion. It's just a shocking (IN MY OPINION) airing of just a really, really sick minority who interpreted something in her/their own way and is likely not the way that it's meant to be interpreted.
By JQPublic
Staff Writer
Published: Tue May 02, 2006 4:09 pm

I've talked to people about protesting the church and advised against it. Thats not the way. Someone needs to go to one of their services and beat down their hate with the scriptures....record all of it, then give it to the press.

What ticks me off the most about these guys is that they are so lawsuit happy. They abuse my religion, and they abuse our law system.

http://www.forerunner.com/champion/X0006_5._Martin_Niemller.html
By JQPublic
Staff Writer
Published: Wed May 03, 2006 8:27 pm

beth wrote:
If that guy is a liberal, then I'm a freaking nun... Bottom line, I won't even throw this nut into the conservatives label, because they don't even deserve this wack-job. This is someone who should litterally, (and I don't say this lightly) disapear, only to show up 50 years from now in the psychiatric ward.

Even if he was a stauch Conservative, it would be to much for me to accept. Heres some proof-

Quote:
The grandchildren are perhaps less demonstrative than most children, but in an earlier day that was called well-behaved. Many of their parents hold or have held important jobs in local and state agencies. The pastor's first-born, Fred, Jr., and his wife, Betty, were guests at the Clinton inauguration. The former northeast Kansas campaign manager for Al Gore in 1988 has a stack of VIP photos, such as the one of him, Betty, Al and Tipper, and even soon-to- be Kansas governor Joan Finney smiling and yucking it up at the Phelps' place just a few years ago.

http://www.baptistwatch.org/content/expose2.html

By Shannon
Published: Thu May 04, 2006 1:07 pm

I am extremely disheartened by all of your conversations. I was attempting to watch this broadcast and came accross these blogs to find opinions with no actual facts to back them up. You all are not Christians, you haven't read the Bible, and you claim the Jesus is gay, Christianity is a cult, and that christians are practically evil because they protest their beliefs. The world won't listen and refuses to be held accountable for their actions. HOMOSEXUALITY IS WRONG, and these people ahve gone to an extreme to show that. It got you talking didn't it?

Let me tell you something from a Christian's perspective. Jesus wasn't gay, there is no passage in the Bible claiming he was. Christians sin; all people sin, that doesn't make us perfect, which means we make mistakes. Homosexuality is a sin. The passages that were presented in earlier conversation correlate with that statement. And whether you are Catholic or not, homosexuality is still wrong. The Bible says it is wrong, and what it says is not just guidelines, it is words from GOD. Our religion is not a cult, it is the truth, and its your decision not to follow it. There is an afterlife, and its called heaven or hell. You must have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, admit you are a sinner, believe he is God over all things, and commit your life to Him. If you don't, then when you die you go to hell and burn in the firey pit. Its all in the Bible, and I highly reccommend you read it. Because let me tell you, God is awesome and he does wonders in your life. If you choose not to believe, I am sorry for you, because you'll never experience anything like it.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Thu May 04, 2006 2:10 pm

Okay....

Shannon, whens the last time you read the bible?

And I mean front to back in one sitting?
Reply to topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Discussion & © 2005-2006

Advertise here

Sexy Shannon | Free Dish Network