greensboro news
General | Local / Regional | Food | Entertainment | Science & Technology | Religion & philosophy | Politics | Sports & Auto | World & Travel | How To | Classifieds | Beth's Blog
Greensboro Weather
::

Where's your God now, Republicans?

By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:48 pm

Okay I'm cool with the idea that you won the election based on the fact Gays are against your biblical preachings. You came out in numbers to vote your President George W. Bush into office. God told you to do it, right? I mean "For God so loved his people, he chose you to fight for your country and your homophobia." But, I have to ask where is your God now?

Where did he go? Are the soldiers in Iraq coming back in body bags less important then Rosie O'Donnell adopting kids? Is the Kayusha missiles hitting innocent families in Israel, of less consequence then BrokeBack Mountain? Did I miss something when I went to see the Davinci code and thought why are people protesting this movie, but not the genocide occurring in Dafur?

Where is your God now Republicans? Is he in your purse or wallet where your gas money once was? Is he in Louisiana rebuilding your home after Katrina? Is he standing beside Fred Phelps while he protests the Baptists at the Greensboro Coliseum?

No God doesn't care about gay people. God doesn't care if we destroy ourselves from the inside out. It's the religious differences of this world that will lead us to our destruction, and perhaps when we start caring for one another rather then our petty differences, then God will care about us.
By Jovick
Religious Expert
Published: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:14 pm

God is good all the time. All the time God is good.

We created our own problems. Why blame God?
By Jovick
Religious Expert
Published: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:16 pm

I believe that the democrats have the same God as Republicans. In fact I would bet that God is neither Republican or Democrat.
By Sanjuro
Lacky
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:49 am

Jovick wrote: God is good all the time. All the time God is good.

ha ha.. Re-read your bible and get back to me. Pay close attention to the old testament.

Jovick wrote: We created our own problems.

I agree completely... we created god.

I know, I know, Jovick set me up for that one.
Religious Expert
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:11 am

Yup. I've studied my bible (old and new) just fine. God is good all the time. He is also just, righteous, and holy. The next time you lift up the bible try studying the bible instead of just reading it. Its a world of difference.

We did not create God. However, I suspect you may have created your OWN God though.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:18 am

Was God good, when he flooded the earth as he threw a temper-tantrum flooding village folk, killing everyone?
By Jovick
Religious Expert
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:25 am

God is just and righteous. He brought you in to this world and he can take you out. There was none righteous at that time other than Noah and his family.

You may not like some of things that God does but that doesn't make him bad. Way too many people get caught up in the fact that God is love. Well I have news for you... he is also just, righteous, and holy and you do not want to be part of God's wrath.

I know what your next question will be.

"What did the little children and babies do to deserve this?"

I look at it like this. People who have not reached the age of accountability do not have to fear death because they will be in heaven. God actually did them a favor by not letting them grow up in a world where they had ZERO chance of salvation.
By Sanjuro
Lacky
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:40 am

Jovick wrote:
I look at it like this. People who have not reached the age of accountability do not have to fear death because they will be in heaven. God actually did them a favor by not letting them grow up in a world where they had ZERO chance of salvation.

Sarcasm on..

So by that rationale abortion is the greatest thing you could do for a child.. RIGHT ON JOVICK!

Sarcasm off.
Executive Editor
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:52 am

wait... if God wasn't wrong when he did the Noah massacre thing, why did he promise to never do it again?

Didn't he basically admit he lost his temper, and kinda took it out on us?

I mean by your speculation, he should certainly re-neg on the whole rainbow, I won't flood thing, and just flood the whole damn thing again, right.

Or can God make mistakes? Hmmm....
By Jovick
Religious Expert
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:03 am

Quote: wait... if God wasn't wrong when he did the noah massacre thing, why did he promise to never do it again?

God promised to never FLOOD the whole world again.

Quote: Didn't he basically admit he lost his temper, and kinda took it out on us?

Nope. He simply said he would not flood the world again. What bible are you actually reading?

Quote: I mean by your speculation, he should certainly re-neg on the whole rainbow, I won't flood thing, and just flood the whole damn thing again, right.

No speculation involved. Obviously you are still upset about the flood. Get over over it. Be happy that you are one of the survivors. Love ya Beth! Smile

Quote: Or can God make mistakes? Hmmm....

God makes no mistakes. Did it ever occur to you that nothing occurs to God? He is all knowing.
By Jovick
Religious Expert
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:05 am

Quote: Sarcasm on..

So by that rationale abortion is the greatest thing you could do for a child.. RIGHT ON JOVICK!

Sarcasm off.

Apples and oranges. You are smarter than that.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:25 am

Jovick, I will give you this... you are one person who doesn't sway in their faith. But how did you go about determining your perception of religion. Is it personal interpretation, or how your church bases it's view, or is it how your family brought you up? Even in my own church, religion on various topics was up for debate. Obviously you have faith that your version is correct, but how can you be 100% certain of it, since its only your interpretation? Yes I know the bible says so, but again that's what you read from your bible. Do you not, ever question then what your brain is determining your faith maybe a in conflict with the failable human mind, and not the absolute truth. Is that not saying, you know exactly what God intended. Isn't that saying your better then everyone else because you seem to be able to perfectly interpret Gods word, even when it arguably vague?
By Sanjuro
Lacky
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:25 am

Jovick wrote: The next time you lift up the bible try studying the bible instead of just reading it. Its a world of difference.

We did not create God. However, I suspect you may have created your OWN God though.

I am curious as to what you mean by 'studying' the bible. I'm taking that to mean 'interpreting' because if you read it as it was written, Beth is right on the money about most of this. God indeed does do an about face. He kills everyone, then more or less says 'my bad' and promises never to do it again because man was 'evil by nature' or something. Which throws another monkey wrench into the whole "god's perfection" issue with the imperfectly designed humans "he created". Not to mention the fact that the flood was designed to clear the world of a mistake..which made no sense really when he had saved a handful of these creations (who were by the rules of its own dogma prone to the same evils) to continue the lineage..

I mean, lets be honest here. If god was so damn smart, wouldn't he have just wiped the slate and started over with another creation? The bible is completely Illogical when it comes to its own ideas and stories like this.

Back to the other point.. we create our own gods. Even within a religion, a god can mean different things to different people. Even different 'experiences'.

It's like when you read a book and imagine what the main character looks like. 40 different people will have 40 different interpretations. Its only after you see them cast Keanu Reeves in the main roll for the movie version that you realize how wrong you were and how much you hate Keanu's interpretation of the role (ha ha), which is in fact a mix of the director's and actor's vision of the same character.

A good example is the 'classic' Jesus character. What we see in many of the popular pictures goes against the reality of what he 'would' or 'might' have looked like at the time, yet even with that somewhat shared image, all the followers of that particular myth have their own unique vision of him.
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:24 am

God and His commandments are not interpreted different ways to different people. They are the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

"Religions" may change from time to time, but Christianity is about having a relationship with God that never changes. God does not say it's ok to have an affair in the Old Testament and then it's bad to have an affair in the New Testament. The prophet Amos and Jesus talked about how "religious" the Israelites were and how God would judge them for violating His commandments. God doesn't waiver in His commandments.

In the same vein, God established a covenant with His people and that will also never change. We can rejoice in the idea that God disciplines and chastens His children, but will also love and bless and guide them. I feel the Holy Spirit in me and am confident that God speaks to me and directs me. I can lean on Him and not on my own understanding. I can cast my cares on Him because He cares for me.

Please know that you can have this confidence, also. Please attend a church that teaches from the Bible and has a pastoral staff that relies on God and the Bible to direct their actions. I will be praying for you..
By Jovick
Religious Expert
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:51 am

Quote: Jovick, I will give you this... you are one person who doesn't sway in their faith. But how did you go about determining your perception of religion. Is it personal intrepretation, or how your church bases it's view, or is it how your family brought you up?

Thanks for the compliment. Smile

My perception of my faith is personal in most part. I was not really brought up in church as a kid and the times I did go to church involved several different Christian denominations. Even then doctrine wasn't really taught...at least to children. I will say that my mother has influenced me a whole lot as she is a fountain of faith to me and to others. Even still we don't agree on everything the bible is saying but we do agree on the important aspects and we keep a sweet spirit about our disagreements. Has my current church influenced a lot of my doctrine? Sure it has. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer all the time and I realize that. The church I attend does not want you to take everything the pastor says as "gospel". The pastor says to the congregation to reprove everything. The bible says this as well. So far everything that has been preached has checked out with my interpretation of the bible. That's how I know I'm in the right church.

Now how do I know I'm 100% sure of my interpretation? Well... I'm not always sure. I've been wrong several times. That's where studying the Word comes in to play. Its also where the Holy Spirit can reveal truth to us and that has helped me immensely. I know there will be those of you that doubt that the "holy Spirit" communicates with people or even that there is a "Holy Spirit". That's OK and I can understand why you might feel that way. I was the same way at one point in my life. I haven't had many of the experiences that other people have had with the Holy Spirit but the ones I have had are quite awesome and I can't really explain it any better than that.

Quote: Even in my own church, religion on various topics was up for debate.

I have no problem with debate as long as it is done with a loving spirit and a purpose.

Quote: Obviously you have faith that your version is correct, but how can you be 100% certain of it, since its only your intrepretation?

That's a really good question. I can say this. Every person is responsible for their own choices. I have chosen to believe the things that I have through study and steadfastness. Many others maintain their beliefs through "willful ignorance". The bible says to reprove everything. Fortunately for me many many others have interpreted the bible as I have. If I felt like my interpretation in the world was unique then I might begin to worry quite a bit.

Quote: Yes I know the bible says so, but again thats what you read from your bible. Do you not, ever question then what your brain is determining your faith maybe a in conflict with the failable human mind, and not the absolute truth.

That is where the help of the Holy Spirit comes in. Black and white issues are clear to most everybody. When you get to the gray issues is where the Holy Spirit helps.

Quote: Is that not saying, you know exactly what God intended.

All I know is what I've read and I know that Jesus wanted us to have abundant life.

Quote: Isn't that saying your better then everyone else because you seem to be able to perfectly intrepret Gods word, even when it arguebly vague?

If I've ever came across that I am better than anyone or everyone else I sincerely apologize as that was not my intent. A Christian KNOWS that he/she is NOT better than the unsaved person. The only difference is that we are saved by grace not of ourself or any works we have done. Get this straight... a Christian is not better then the unsaved person. The bible tells you this as well.
By Jovick
Religious Expert
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:55 am

Dave wrote: God and His commandments are not interpreted different ways to different people. They are the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

"Religions" may change from time to time, but Christianity is about having a relationship with God that never changes. God does not say it's ok to have an affair in the Old Testament and then it's bad to have an affair in the New Testament. The prophet Amos and Jesus talked about how "religious" the Israelites were and how God would judge them for violating His commandments. God doesn't waiver in His commandments.

In the same vein, God established a covenant with His people and that will also never change. We can rejoice in the idea that God disciplines and chastens His children, but will also love and bless and guide them. I feel the Holy Spirit in me and am confident that God speaks to me and directs me. I can lean on Him and not on my own understanding. I can cast my cares on Him because He cares for me.

Please know that you can have this confidence, also. Please attend a church that teaches from the Bible and has a pastoral staff that relies on God and the Bible to direct their actions. I will be praying for you..

Nice post Dave. I am not as eloquent as you but you do speak truth.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:35 pm

Quote: God and His commandments are not interpreted different ways to different people. They are the same
yesterday, today and tomorrow.

I agree the commandments have stayed the same, but the rest of the Bible, is not as concise. If the 10 commandments was the only part of religion, I doubt you'd find much argument about it.

It's when you say follow this verse, but not this one. etc... so-on.

I mean who builds fence around their house, or wears all wool clothing?

Who stones their kids, or exiles woman when their menstruating?

Some people believe the old testament is included in the "rules of God" & some don't. Some people believe Revelations was historical, some believe it's a vision of the future.

I really think if God was all that his believers think he was, he'd been a bit better in clarifying to his prophets exactly what his expectations are.

Seriously, from the first freaking story: Genesis, the guy should have known. We ate the freaking apple. No shit, put my ass in front of a buffet, and tell me not to eat, and I'm going to push you out of the way and head for the T-bones.

The truth is that God, if there is one, isn't perfect, he has flaws, he makes mistakes, he's almost human-like in style. This can be proven time and time again, in the bible, peoples interpretation, and in this "perfect garden of Eden" which technically was flawed with the first damn tree.

Why even put the tree there? Why tempt us? What does God almighty get out of it? He made us, if he doesn't like the free-will thing, why give it to us? Why does he need is to worship him? What does he get out of it? Is there some God club, where he goes and the one with the most worshipers each month get a prize. And if he's all knowing, didn't he know we we're going to eat it, and therefore he shouldn't have asked?

If there is a God he certainly doesn't want us to worship him. He just wants up to be good to one another and stop destroying one another.
By Jovick
Religious Expert
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:42 pm

This is going a bit downhill so this is the last comment I'll have on this subject. I believe what I believe and you beleive what you believe. If you earnestly have a serious question then I'll try and answer it the best I can but I can't sit in a conversation where you are constantly bashing and blaspheming God.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:20 pm

Jovick wrote: This is going a bit downhill so this is the last comment I'll have on this subject. I believe what I believe and you believe what you believe. If you earnestly have a serious question then I'll try and answer it the best I can but I can't sit in a conversation where you are constantly bashing and blaspheming God.

Jovick, I was about to say how much respect I was having for you before you made this statement. There is no blasphemy going on here, just an open discussion. You make it sound like we're in Rome and I just called the emperor Egyptian or something.

This is another blanket exit statement, I swear they give the same line to all the Christians when the discussion gets too tough to answer. These are serious questions, you just don't want to answer. Your too scared to possibly find whats on the other-side. This is my problem with religion. If you we're allowed to ask questions, and really explore them, and you reached some kind of intelligent answer, then hey that would make sense. But when your not allowed to ask questions, your a blind follower incapable of seeing where the path you follow leads.

Until you can accept for a moment the possibility God doesn't exist, then you'll never truly believe he does, because you'll never have an answer to all these questions you call blasphemy.
By Sanjuro
Lacky
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:29 pm

Jovick wrote: This is going a bit downhill so this is the last comment I'll have on this subject. I believe what I believe and you beleive what you believe. If you earnestly have a serious question then I'll try and answer it the best I can but I can't sit in a conversation where you are constantly bashing and blaspheming God.

Actually that's what I like about you, Jovick. Why you may not try and see things from the P.O.V. someone like me does, you actually give answers to your own beliefs and do a good job of backing them up most of the time. I'll take that over a sermon any day.

As far as 'blasphemy', its impossible (for the person who questions these things) to talk about the abstract concept of god and not appear 'blasphemous' in the eyes of the person to which the abstract is real. This is one of the dangers of religion.

Once you define yourself as jewish, christian, muslim, hindu, etc, you sign up to all the trappings of what is considered blasphemous and what isnt. Thus there are truths you can never allow yourself to know for you are too afraid that questioning these things will be crossing that line. Not to mention you also assign youself to a prejudice of other people.

Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:43 pm

Wow. You obviously have thought about this a lot. I would like to suggest you find a Christian who could answer these questions in a one/one relationship so you can have a prayer partner and someone to pray for you specifically. This forum lends itself to extremist thinking that is not conducive to explaining how faith in God can move mountains. I agree with Jovick in that we can go back/forth ad nauseum with these responses, so I'll end with this comment. God did not create a flawed Eden--it became flawed when Adam and Eve decided to rebel against God. It was God's intention for people to have a loving relationship with Him (agape love).

Why was Moses chosen to lead the Hebrews out of Egypt for 40 years into the promised land but was not allowed to enter? Ask Gideon how he defeated 30,000 Amalekites with only 300 men. How could David be the one chosen by God to lead a nation and still commit adultery and murder? Ask Paul how he changed from being the worst persecuter of Christians to the biggest apologist for Christ on the road to Damascus. These are questions that show God establishes a covenant with His people and when they disobey Him, they receive their punishment. But when they keep His commandments, He blesses richly and abundantly. You can be blessed beyond belief when you are in God's will. Job honored God and received much more than he had before he was tested by Satan. It's awesome to life a life for God with the knowledge that you can live in glory after you die. The problems of this world don't compare to the glory that awaits us in Heaven.

[quote="beth"]

If there is a God he certainly doesn't want us to worship him. He just wants up to be good to one another and stop destroying one another.

Trust us, there is a God. He says that the two greatest commandments are to love God with all your soul and your heart and all your might and the second is to love your neighbor as yourself. But more than that, God wants a relationship with you so you can live with Him in glory. This relationship with God includes love, direction, correction, blessings and life more abundantly.

Thank you for this opportunity to discuss this with you. I also thank Jovick for opening this dialogue with tremendous insight and compassion. Again, please contact a friend or pastor of a church who can partner with you and teach about this in more detail and answer your questions that are obviously troubling you.
By Jovick
Religious Expert
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:11 pm

Ok.. maybe I did overreact a little bit. You need to understand, to me, when it appears you are attacking God and saying things that I know aren't true I get incensed a bit sort of like you might if somebody was verbally attacking your little child. Hey... I'm human. When I feel the conversation is swaying from being a productive conversation I have to stop and analize if I'm being counter-productive of my goals.

There really was a time that I pondered whether there really was a God. Quite honestly it might be much easier to live in this world if I didn't believe in God. Nobody in their right mind would choose to be a Christian just because it might be the cool or fad thing to do. Being a Christian is extremely hard to do and we get made fun of quite a bit and are discriminated against. Yet... I choose to be a Christian because I know the truth. I'm still learning truth as well. I'm way farther from Jesus than I want to be but I'm trying.

With all that being said... what is your biggest roadblock to believing in Jesus our Christ and Savior? I'll try and answer with the knowledge I have. Unfortunately, most unbelievers think that Christians should know the answer to all their questions (as if their is a magic knowledge pill one takes when they become a Christian). If I don't know I'll do my best to find out for you a good answer and maybe we'll all learn something.
By RebelSnake
Features Reporter
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:41 pm

"Being a Christian is extremely hard to do and we get made fun of quite a bit and are discriminated against."

Try being an atheist if you want to find out how tolerant people really are.
By beth
Executive Editor
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:32 pm

Jovick wrote: When I feel the conversation is swaying from being a productive conversation I have to stop and analyze if I'm being counter-productive of my goals.

I can't speak for everyone who will come to this board, but I for one am about as open minded to religion as possible. All I ask, as a skeptic, is prove it to me. This isn't an atheist forum, or a non-religious forum. It's just a place to discuss. The people that come here are religious, and atheists, agnostic, etc. Hopefully one day will have some Wiccans, and pagans, and Muslims to boot.

I don't honestly care whatcha are. You could be a gay black woman cannibal for all I care. I respect you, and your religion, but bottom line is... If I can do that, being a skeptical ex-christian turned non-believer shouldn't people of faith be just as accepting of the creations of their God. In other words, if there is one gripe that turns me off about religion, it's hate.

Hate for gays.
Hate for women.
Hate for people of other faiths.
Hate for fill in the blanks.

I know you won't call it hate, you'll call it love "without being saved." But how is a person who is told they can never get into heaven because of who they are or how they live, without changing and repenting ever supposed to accept your God as theirs?

I'm not necessarily saying this is the case without all versions of Christianity, and it may not pertain to yours. But a good amount of Christianity does disagree with certain lifestyles.

When you see things, as I have, and see people basically put on witch trials because someones interpretation of their religion, that's when I got upset.
By Jovick
Religious Expert
Published: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:35 pm

Quote: I respect you, and your religion, but bottom line is... If I can do that, being a skeptical ex-christian turned non-believer shouldn't people of faith be just as accepting of the creations of their God. In other words, if there is one gripe that turns me off about religion, it's hate.

There is only ONE Christian faith and one truth. Jesus is God who came to earth to pay for our sins with his blood.

The path to heaven is repent, believe and confess.

Repent- Acts 3:19 “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out.”

Believe and Confess- Romans 10:9-10,13 “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation……For whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

Jesus NEVER taught us hate. Its quite the opposite. There are many professing Christians that say they hate these people and hate those people. Those are the ones who are NOT walking close to Jesus and one has to wonder about their salvation. Don't let those people represent Christ in your head because it just ain't so.

Quote: Hate for gays.
Hate for women.
Hate for people of other faiths.
Hate for fill in the blanks.

Jesus does not hate gay people. However he does not like the actions of gay people. That is far different from hating the person. The same could be said for people who commit other types of sin. God hates sin but loves us. That brings us to the "Can gay people go to heaven?" question. Of course they can. If the plan of salvation above is applied to their life then they are saved. "What if they commit gay acts again?" - Hopefully when they are saved they won't want to do anything against God's wishes...but... if they earnestly tried not to and they screwed up I don't see them losing their salvation. They may lose their blessings but not salvation. The whole paragraph above would be true if you replaced gay with "smoker" or "over eater" or "thief" or "murderer". The great thing is that salvation is forever. Repent and ask forgiveness should follow.

The women in my church are held extremely high in reverence and I have the highest respect for women. I live in a family with three daughters so I have to have respect. Smile

Christianity does not teach us to hate people of other religions. It teaches us to go forth and teach the Word of God to them. However there are those religions that teach it is good to kill those who are infidels (not of their faith). Its not hard to see which faith has fruits is it.

Quote: I know you won't call it hate, you'll call it love "without being saved." But how is a person who is told they can never get into heaven because of who they are or how they live, without changing and repenting ever supposed to accept your God as theirs?

I don't really know. Its sort of like AA... if you can't admit you are an alchoholic and need help its kind of hard to change the person. My hope is that God will convict a person's heart. I can't MAKE anybody accept my God. The best I can do is witness to people and family through my acts as a Christian and hope that others will want the same joy that I have in my life. Happiness requires something to "Happen". True joy requires nothing to happen and the presence of the Lord in your life.

Quote: I'm not necessarily saying this is the case without all versions of Christianity, and it may not pertain to yours. But a good amount of Christianity does disagree with certain lifestyles.

When a person is saved that person is a NEW person. Lifestyles will change dramatically in most cases. I know mine did. You will want to please God. Certain lifestyles are wrong. Fornication is wrong whether you are straight or gay.

Quote: When you see things, as I have, and see people basically put on witch trials because someones interpretation of their religion, that's when I got upset.

You should get upset. Good Christians should not concentrate on the sin a person is doing but rather the salvation of the person. Once there is salvation then there can be more effort on removing sin from your life. I sin everyday. I wish I didn't but I know I do. Without my sisters and brothers in Christ offering advice and encouragement I would likely sin even more.

Reply to topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Advertise here

dish network
Shannon's Mom Hack