·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Greensboro Triumph Center

by Knightrider | Published on May 21st, 2007, 11:56 am | Greensboro
Looks like Ed Cone's blog has debunct the Disney theory.....as it seems. One thing that puzzles me is that the media and Ray Gibbs have said several southern states and many cities are competing for this project. I've tried to search through media sources in all those states and have found nothing....looks like The News & Record and FOX 8 are the only media sources that leaked out that something is going on. WE are the front runner for this project and if its not Disney, what the heck could it be?....I keep hearing people that know about this say this is going to be HUGE for Greensboro, "region changing" development. And what is in this development that makes it feasible to build two LUXURY hotels downtown? (one being a potential 500 room Highrise! my god!) There is alot of hype about the development which tells us its going to be more than just some nightclubs and restaurants. One thing that has not been mention that would likely be a part of the development is a multiplex theater. While we may have pondered about this being Disney.....just maybe...just maybe its something even better. :wink: I know one thing, im dying to find out. Its driving me insane. This deal is as secret as some top secret government cover-up. I dont think the CIA could do a better job because as big as this is for downtown, nobody has found out yet. People are keeping their mouths shut like their lives depended on it.

I wonder what are the odds of this development, whatever it is, having a House of Blues, ESPN Zone or Medieval Times theater restaurant? FOX 8 says this project would be "BIGGER THAN GEORGE CLOONEY" and "CAUSE AS MUCH EXCITEMENT AS A CHRIS DAUGHTRY CONCERT". It would be awesome if downtown had a Medieval Times Dinner Theater restaurant.

The N Club is already a House of Blues venue. Why not have a full blown House of Blues?

How about an ESPN Zone next to the ACC Hall of Champions?

Lets throw in an AMC Multiplex theater

How about a Bowling Alley next to ESPN Zone and ACC Hall of Champions. The bowling Alley could host regional and national televised bowling tournaments on ESPN of course.

The news and record talks about two LUXURY hotels. The big 500 room high-rise could be a Wyndham since they are sponsoring our PGA tourney. Wyndham did say a Greensboro hotel is not out of the question.

Oh yea! and I want a downtown aquarium/IMAX

IS ALL THIS STUFF TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR?
May 23rd, 2007, 10:13 am
Knightrider

I'd be all for an IMAX!! The rest really wouldn't interest me. I'm sure it will appeal to most, but those cookie cutter places like ESPNZone etc. are bland and boring. Sorry...

From what I've been told from a fairly reliable source, the House of Blues is only the booking agent for N Club; it is not a House of Blues "venue". Perhaps the plan is to eventually turn it into a full blown HoB venue.

Other than 3 or 4 times a year, most hotels in Greensboro are half full at best. I can't see ONE luxury hotel being built, let alone TWO!! The things being mentioned, Medieval Times, ESPNZone, HoB, etc. will not draw the people with the money that can afford to pay for a luxury hotel.
May 23rd, 2007, 2:16 pm
rumface

I guess the question is why is the developer proposing such hotels? There is a reason and I know its not just for the sake of building a highrise luxury hotel in downtown Greensboro. The answer has to do with the type of venues in the entertainment complex. Ive heard a big reason Greensboro is a "front runner" has to do with its location between Charlotte and Raleigh meaning this development is meant to attract people from those areas. I also heard that if the largest "themed version" is built, Greensboro could become a serious destination area..So we are not talking about your ordinary nightclubs and restaurants we see on South Elm Street. Once we find out what the project is and how big it is, I think we'll understand why a 500 room luxury hotel and a 50 room boutique hotel is being considered. There is actually more than one out of town developer involved and there are 5 BIG projects which combined creates a mega development....Oh yea its a big deal for Greensboro. The Florida development company is pondering wether or not this will work in Greensboro. The smallest plan is about the size of Charlotte's Epicentre and the largest plan dwarfs that in size and scope and is bigger than EpiCentre and Memphis's Peabody Place combined. The development is said to include shopping, residential and office so dont be surprised to see an office tower proposal or highrise condo tower along with this development. Most people dont know this but there was a proposal to build a 15-story office tower next to First Horizon Park but the city was dragging their feet on the deal and the company cancelled their plans before it ever went public...lets hope that wont be the case with this because if we do drag our feet they will build this in another state. This is very interesting indeed and I cant wait to find out what this "MASSIVE" project is. and we thought the ballpark could be the biggest thing we'd see downtown.
May 23rd, 2007, 2:37 pm
Knightrider

my bet is that this development will have at least one of those venues like The House of Blues.

"Ray Gibbs of Downtown Greensboro Inc. did say "project X" is the biggest deal he's ever been associated with. Gibbs also said hundreds of thousands of dollars are spent conducting studies to see if the city (as a whole) could sustain something as big as "project X"."

"something HUGE is on the horizon for downtown Greensboro......bigger than George Clooney.....something SO BIG it would cause as much comotion as a Chris Daughtry concert"

May 25th, 2007, 2:33 pm
Knightrider

Oh how I have a new perspective on things since going on vacation in California.

So here it is. Project X, the famed Disney now not Disney project, may actually closely resemble this:

http://www.citywalkhollywood.com

I am merely guessing, of course, or am I??? Take this for example... City walk is owned by Universal!, Wet-N-Wild who currently owns Emerald Point is owned by Universal. Not only that but, Universal has been actively expanding it's theme parks from Dubai to Korea, and has been rumored to be searching for a location for a 3rd American theme park. Coupled with North Carolina's film business, and being the second largest movie producing state in the country. Could City Walk Greensboro coupled with Wet-N-Wild, be the beginnings of Universal Studios Carolina?

Welcome to the future friend, and the future looks good.
May 26th, 2007, 11:48 pm
Liv
I show you something fantastic and you find fault.

where did you hear about the rumor that Universal is planning a third U.S. themepark?
May 27th, 2007, 6:12 pm
Knightrider

It was a "businesss rumor" back a few months ago when the Blackstone group, the real-estate holding company who owns a big stake in the Florida Universal Studios offered there IPO. I've heard nothing since, but it makes complete sense to me.

Of course like anything, I'm probably getting my hopes up, and the city's idea of "big" is a McDonalds with a double drive-thru. I'm doomed to be disappointed.

On the otherhand, this could be the future:

May 27th, 2007, 6:32 pm
Liv

Knightrider wrote:So we are not talking about your ordinary nightclubs and restaurants we see on South Elm Street.

Interesting. Sounds like maybe WalMart is behind this project? Drive out the small business owner? As a small business owner, I prefer to frequent independently owned businesses, not the large national chains. Especially when it comes to dining and drinking. Those places have atmosphere and personality that is lacking in a chain establishment.

I guess Joey Medaloni has knowledge of the deal since he just sold his remaining downtown properties. I would say that is a pretty good sign that something big is coming to Greensboro that will hurt the small business owner...
May 29th, 2007, 9:48 am
rumface

Its funny how the word gets around to people like that...yet its still mystery to the general public. Joey could know something especially after making a statement that Greensboro could be the LA of the east coast in 10 years. Not sure why he would say something like that. Even if Greensboro does get places like the House of Blues, I dont think people will stop going to the locally owned venues. It seems like the more venues open up downtown the more people come and everyone is sharing the wealth. Nightclubs do have shelf lifes. but when one closes, another opens in its place.
May 29th, 2007, 12:36 pm
Knightrider

Knightrider wrote:Its funny how the word gets around to people like that...yet its still mystery to the general public. Joey could know something especially after making a statement that Greensboro could be the LA of the east coast in 10 years.

Maybe this project is what Joey and President Bush were talking about last year...
May 30th, 2007, 7:06 am
rumface

Joey's comments about us being the LA of the east coast might not be too far off...according to this weeks Triad Business Journal this project would include a cluster of highrises and would be an all in one tourist/convention destination for THE SOUTH EAST REGION!! Ray Gibbs said if and when this is revealed to the public, PEOPLES JAWS ARE GOING TO DROP. Charlotte has always had a leg up on Greensboro. Greensboro may finally have something to brag to Charlotte about. But we do know now that this project includes a convention center.
June 2nd, 2007, 7:52 pm
Knightrider

rumface wrote:Other than 3 or 4 times a year, most hotels in Greensboro are half full at best..

I beg to differ on that point. It seems like most weekends (friday or saturday) MOST hotels for under $130 a night fill up before dark or just right after. My brother and his family have had numerous issues getting a room when they come down this way. Wendover and High Point road hotels fill up real quick.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
June 2nd, 2007, 8:19 pm
BecauseHeLives

They merely need to figure out how to become San Diego, not LA. San Diego hotel prices are astonishing!
June 3rd, 2007, 10:35 am
Liv

after readindg the description of this project it seems like it could very realistically be a Downtown Disney epecially since some of the developers are from Orlando, Florida.

SKEPTICS SEEING MERIT IN GREENSBORO MEGA-PROJECT

Triad Business Journal
Greensboro, NC

As Ray Gibbs completes his tenure June 1 as president of Downtown Greensboro Inc, he does not intend to let go of the biggest project to come his way during eight years on the job.

Gibbs insists - to the astonishment and bewilderment of many - that a group of mostly international investors is absolutely serious about its desire to invest $150 million or more into a colossal mixed-use project downtown. It would cover 4 to 6 acres and include a cluster or mid- and high-ries buildings containing residential, office, hotel and entertainment space.

As the primary contact for the unnamed investor group, Gibbs says he will likely be retained by the group as he moves to his new job with a national development company. "they want me to stay with the project," says Gibbs, who will start working out of Mooresville later this month.

As with all such projects at this stage, secrecy preveils. Fewer than a dozen locals have been briefed. Mayor Keith Holliday knows a little as do mayoral candidate Yvonne Johnson and her rival, downtown developer Milton kern. City Manager Mitch Johnson and his assistant City manager Ben Brown. Each has signed a nondisclosure agreement.

Gibbs, meanwhile, is at pains to persuade naturally skeptical, often doubting greensboro leaders that the project is viable and that the investors have mile deep pockets without actually divulging many details. Until land is put under contract, which could happen this summer, Gibbs is keeping quiet. Mostly.

"Their goal is to create a destination for the region - the southeast region," Gibbs says carefully. "They will be marketing to conferences and conventions, similar to Koury (Convention Center), though not on that scale. And the entertainment venues will be pretty significant. You're looking at things that would bring in national acts and appeal to people of all ages."

The concept of such all-in-one tourist/convention destinations - A KIND OF THEMEPARK WITHOUT ROLLER COASTERS OR WATERSLIDES - is an idea whose times is arriving Gibbs insists.

Shorter vacations, high gas prices and concerns about security are all conspiring to compel travelers to stay closer to home. The investors know, Gibbs says, that several million people live within a two hour drive of Greensboro. Its a prime central location, trhey believe, made more appealing by a revitalizing, downtown scene.

The investors obviously see something in Greensboro that locals rarely see themselves. Locals tend to scratch their heads and ask: If this is such a great idea, why the heck are you looking here?

"We have to show that we want them here," Gibbs says. "Bur that gets difficult when everyone immediately asks Why Greensboro? They hear that over and over. And they say "we're real. This is a good location. Why are you trying to talk us out of it?"

Holliday was among the skeptics. But this week, he says "Ive gathered more information, I can say without a doubt that the odds have improved substandtially. There is definatly a deal here. Whether it can be completed, i dont know. But its exciting, off the charts as far as im concerned."

Holliday optimistically predicts that Greensboro and the Triad better get used to such attention from outsiders. With high-profile economic development coups such as FedEd, Dell, Hiondajet and Citicards, outside investors are following the trail to see what those corporation giants have bought into.

At City Hall, Johnson says the project and its investors are gradually gaining credibilty with him as he learns more about both. But he says from experience, "The bigger the project, the more ways you have that it can go wrong. I can foresee alot of things keeping it from happening."

Still he says the project might just fit nicely on a sprawling collection of parcels on either side of Church Street and East Friendly Ave near the Children's Museum where the city, the weaver Foundation and Lincoln Financial own land.

The city, he adds, would likely consider incentives such as infrastructure, upgrades to the site and perhaps even a parking deck- but only if investors can demonstrate the project's overall fiancial viabilty, would have the final say.

meanwhile, as Gibbs finishes clearing out his desk and prepares for two weeks off before starting his new job, he says, "if it can be accomplished, a project like this could truely change the dynamics of Greensboro. it will show that we can compete on a national scale." And exactly will the rest of us get to see what Gibbs has seen?

"As soon as they get a letter of intent on some land, the plans will be announced," he says "Thats when peoples's jaws will drop"
June 3rd, 2007, 4:24 pm
Knightrider

BecauseHeLives wrote:
rumface wrote:Other than 3 or 4 times a year, most hotels in Greensboro are half full at best..

I beg to differ on that point. It seems like most weekends (friday or saturday) MOST hotels for under $130 a night fill up before dark or just right after. My brother and his family have had numerous issues getting a room when they come down this way. Wendover and High Point road hotels fill up real quick.

I guess I was looking at it from rooms in the downtown vicinity, which this topic is mostly in reference to.

Plus, it was a SWAG basing it on the furniture market, the golf tourney (has the name changed again yet???), and maybe one other thing.
June 4th, 2007, 11:15 am
rumface

one problem I see this project running into are the naysayers that may not want this project in Greensboro because its "TOO big for the city". While I think Greensboro has made strides towards becoming a true urban city, there are still elements in Greensboro that want the city to remain as a "small town". Obviously this would be a "big city" development (Something you'd expect to see in cities like Atlanta, Cleveland or major tourist destination areas). I was told by a source that there is indeed an element in Greensboro that doesnt want this in our city because of the nature and size. This kind of project would mean rapid change for our downtown and city.

You know this has really got to be a huge project for the mayor, Ray Gibbs and city manager to have been skeptical in the beginning. Also the fact that a 600 room luxury hotel is in this plan, you know its HUGE. to build that kind of hotel downtown and with so many rooms by itself just doesnt make any sense at all. There are some very big things here that makes it feasible for such a hotel. I am just waiting with baited breath to find out what this is. Its driving me crazy and hopefully we find out the details within the next week or two. Ray Gibbs said the plans would be revealed once the developers send a letter of intent (land offer) on some land. Ray Gibbs also said plans have progress to the point that a land offer will be made within the next 7 to 10 days
June 6th, 2007, 7:09 am
Knightrider

Knightrider wrote:one problem I see this project running into are the naysayers that may not want this project in Greensboro because its TOO big for the city. While I think Greensboro has made strides towards becoming a true urban city, there are still elements in Greensboro that want the city to remain as a "small town". Obviously this would be a "big city" development. I was told by a source that there is indeed an element in Greensboro that doesnt want this in our city because of the nature and size. This kind of project would mean rapid change for our downtown and city.

Well, any city/town will have a group that does not want change. Unfortunately for Greensboro, that group seems to be very vocal and persistent. The first thing I thought when I heard about this project was that I should start a sign business, since there will be a large faction of Greensboro against this development.

Personally, I don't want "small town", but I don't want "big city" either. I moved from "big city" for a reason and don't want that life again. I also prefer the growth to come from within Greensboro, not some big company where all we do is feed their already bloated bottom-line and are just a number to them.

Plus, based on what I've read so far, the jobs that this type of project will generate is going to be retail, hospitality, etc. You do NOT grow a city by creating low pay jobs. All that does is keep the people with minimal education and skills, while the educated and skilled leave for areas where the high paying jobs are.
June 6th, 2007, 7:30 am
rumface

I imagine we'll be hearing from Bill Burckley pretty soon, especially if Jim Melvin is involved in this project LOL. Also we'll loudly hear from the Fisher Park residents if this is being proposed on the cheverolet property next to the ballpark. That site pretty much borders Fisher Park. This is the biggest problem I see that can keep this from happening because if opposition stalls this, the development will go to another city. My personal opinion is to build this downtown where surrounding established downtown neighborhoods wont complain. The Duke Power site is perfect in my opinion because there are no established neigherborhoods for several blocks surrounding this property and its a good size lot when you combined the city and Lincoln Finanacial property across Friendly Ave. The city manager also prefers this site probabally for the same reason I mentioned. Another good thing about the former Duke Power site is that there arent alot of hoops and hurdles to jump through to get the land because it was land banked by the Weaver Foundation for the sole purpose of redevelopment. Plus the Church Street parking deck is across the street from the property which would help provide parking for the development. Of all the sites, it the largest piece or property that can be developed rather quickly. The ballpark kinda serves as the entertainment anchor for the west side of downtown. Now the east side of downtown needs an entertainment anchor. maybe a development that acts as a transistion development to Fisher Park would work best for the Chevrolet Property

However I have noticed, some people that opposed the baseball stadium are supporting this project.
June 6th, 2007, 8:38 am
Knightrider

We should be hearing details about this project this week hopefully. June 1st Ray Gibbs said the developers will send out offers to purchase land in a week to 10 days and he said once they get the offer, plans will be finally made public and thats when peoples jaws will drop. Well its 10 days later and im waiting to drop my jaws :lol:
June 11th, 2007, 11:50 am
Knightrider

You know we're going to be disappointed, don't you?...

I mean, honestly... if it were something "real" big, there would be investment loans and someone would have put it together.

It's depressing... but they'll probably do something dumb like put a elevator in a one floor building or something.
June 11th, 2007, 5:42 pm
Liv

Liv wrote:You know we're going to be disappointed, don't you?...

I mean, honestly... if it were something "real" big, there would be investment loans and someone would have put it together.

It's depressing... but they'll probably do something dumb like put a elevator in a one floor building or something.

Or maybe they'll do something crazy like fix the timing of the traffic lights downtown so that when the light you are at turns green, the next one doesn't turn red...at 1:00am...with NO OTHER CARS on the road...
June 12th, 2007, 8:12 am
rumface

invest in one of those remote controls the fire department uses and you can change the lights at will :D :D
June 12th, 2007, 1:20 pm
Knightrider

Knightrider wrote:invest in one of those remote controls the fire department uses and you can change the lights at will :D :D

I've been wanting to make one for sometime now.
June 12th, 2007, 4:36 pm
Liv

Knightrider wrote:invest in one of those remote controls the fire department uses and you can change the lights at will :D :D

OR...The NCDOT can get a freakin' clue as to how traffic patterns work and make things more efficient so that you're not sitting at a traffic light idling for what seems like an eternity when there are NO CARS ON THE ROAD!!!
June 13th, 2007, 7:44 am
rumface

Return to Greensboro