·  News ·  Travel ·  Food ·  Arts ·  Science ·  Sports ·  Advice ·  Religion ·  Life ·  Greensboro · 

Daytona 500: Front Row

by Serendipitous | Published on February 11th, 2008, 6:29 pm | Sports
Boogity! Boogity! Boogity!

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/02/10/jjohnson.mwaltrip.d500.front.row/index.html

It has been decided: the 50th Daytona 500 polesitter is defending cup champion, Jimmie Johnson. Sharing the front row is Mikey Waltrip, making the Toyotas look like they could be contenders this season. We'll see if they can hang in there for the long haul!

Sooo... is this the beginning of a three-peat for Johnson? Is Knaus going to be able to keep is nose clean and manage to stay in the crew chief seat for the WHOLE season, or will he do his typical pushing the envelope this season? I'm really looking forward to seeing which teams have figured out the Car of Tomorrow, which is now TODAY. :D

OK then..

Predict who you think will be top 3 for the 500.

I will go for (in any order)
Johnson
Dale Jr
Stewart.

I would like to go for Waltrip, but that would be too 'Front Row'-ey.
February 11th, 2008, 7:06 pm
Londonwide

Eh...I don't get Nascar... :|
Jan 29, 2008: Mark this day.. "ignorance is bliss" and I actually completely agree.. now if you'll excuse me I'm going to hurl myself off the building.- Sanjuro
Consider it marked.
February 11th, 2008, 7:48 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

Londonwide wrote:OK then..

Predict who you think will be top 3 for the 500.

I will go for (in any order)
Johnson
Dale Jr
Stewart.

I would like to go for Waltrip, but that would be too 'Front Row'-ey.

Prediction or wishful thinking? :wink:
February 11th, 2008, 8:19 pm
Serendipitous
This is my world and I am the world leader...pretend.

Johnson and D Jr I would like to see win, but not dominate especially as the season develops.

Stewart is definately not wishful thinking, he annoys me.
February 12th, 2008, 9:02 am
Londonwide

Londonwide wrote:Johnson and D Jr I would like to see win, but not dominate especially as the season develops.

Stewart is definately not wishful thinking, he annoys me.

Stewart is mentioned in the NY Times today, an article Trade In: Open Wheel for Stock Cars about the IRL drivers who've moved to NASCAR. I think he's a talented, and sometimes he is a funny guy. But he's just like the majority of the other drivers: he whines and blames others.

I'm hoping to see Kasey Kahne do something this year. Since '04, he's had alternating good season, bad season... If '08 stays with that pattern, he should be in the Chase again. The #9 team had an excuse last year about '06 data being a bunch of crap and therefore their setups were way off. It would be great to see Evernham-Gillett rack up some wins this season. Kahne in Budweiser and Sadler in Best Buy.

The whole Hendrick team could repeat the domination from last year, but I think Roush Fenway will really step up (even though they're Ford :roll: ). Kenseth and the #17 team should be really interesting to watch now that Reiser is no longer his crew chief (he moved on to being the GM for Roush Fenway). I haven't even checked on who replaced him to direct the Killer Bees! Speaking of pit crews, there are changes to the rules on pit road. Only two changes noted, but it could be enough to affect a few teams who forget the new rules.

I haven't paid enough attention to know if any tracks were resurfaced, but Carl Edwards did have something to say about repaving tracks.

"It should be as nasty and bumpy and rough as possible."

"It makes it so much more fun to drive and race on when the tracks are not perfect. I think it's just the car. The bumps -- I don't want to say anything; I don't want to get that started -- the track's PERFECT at Daytona. I like it. I think the [new] car has a little less downforce and moves around a little bit more, and I think that makes the racing better. I think that's good.

"If it was real smooth and perfect and easy to do, that's not racing. That's driving down the interstate."

I couldn't agree more (except if he's talking about that stretch of northbound I-85 as you head into Henderson). :)
February 12th, 2008, 3:57 pm
Serendipitous

IgnoranceIsBliss wrote:Eh...I don't get Nascar... :|

I bet you'd dig it! At least the part of the pre-race where they introduce Reverend Blah-Blah-Blah for the invocation... "Our dear heavenly father, watch over these drivers and fans so that they don't end up like Liv with tire embedded in their corneas for the remainder of their lives." :mrgreen: Then sometimes a famous recording artists sings, "Jose can you see?" and the jets fly over, and grand marshall hollers "Gentlemen, start your engines" (except for the Darlington race in May where the mamas yell "Sons, start your engines").... I don't remember hearing much of the drivers thanking god in their post-race interviews. I think that's just for Grammys, Oscars, and Tonys. :wink:
February 12th, 2008, 6:02 pm
Serendipitous

Oh good, looks like Walmart, Waffle House, Ford Dealerships, and Bass Pro Shops will be seeing less cash on Sundays again. 8)
"You can't put the civil rights of a minority up for a majority vote."
February 12th, 2008, 7:57 pm
Sanjuro
Expert...on everything...

Sanjuro wrote:Oh good, looks like Walmart, Waffle House, Ford Dealerships, and Bass Pro Shops will be seeing less cash on Sundays again. 8)

...and will see more on Saturdays when race fans prep for Sunday race parties or TAILGATING if they're headed to the track. I can has cheezburger and beer-n-brats at 10:00 AM to get ready for an afternoon of racing!!! Seriously, where else will they let you bring your own beer and Jello shooters into the stands?
February 12th, 2008, 8:13 pm
Serendipitous

Serendipitous wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:Oh good, looks like Walmart, Waffle House, Ford Dealerships, and Bass Pro Shops will be seeing less cash on Sundays again. 8)

...and will see more on Saturdays when race fans prep for Sunday race parties or TAILGATING if they're headed to the track. I can has cheezburger and beer-n-brats at 10:00 AM to get ready for an afternoon of racing!!! Seriously, where else will they let you bring your own beer and Jello shooters into the stands?

To bad they all have to get their butts back to their mills, Waffle Houses, and road construction sites on Monday. Otherwise they might be able to enjoy themselves! 8)
February 12th, 2008, 8:29 pm
Sanjuro

Serendipitous wrote:I bet you'd dig it! At least the part of the pre-race where they introduce Reverend Blah-Blah-Blah for the invocation... "Our dear heavenly father, watch over these drivers and fans so that they don't end up like Liv with tire embedded in their corneas for the remainder of their lives." :mrgreen: Then sometimes a famous recording artists sings, "Jose can you see?" and the jets fly over, and grand marshall hollers "Gentlemen, start your engines" (except for the Darlington race in May where the mamas yell "Sons, start your engines").... I don't remember hearing much of the drivers thanking god in their post-race interviews. I think that's just for Grammys, Oscars, and Tonys. :wink:

I've watched, maybe, three races. Ever. :D

I did get an invite to a race once or twice, but couldn't go because of school. I don't care to much for left turns anyway... :)
February 12th, 2008, 9:06 pm
IgnoranceIsBliss

Sanjuro wrote:To bad they all have to get their butts back to their mills, Waffle Houses, and road construction sites on Monday. Otherwise they might be able to enjoy themselves! 8)

Not a prob! If that's where they work, they prolly went to the race WITH their bosses. :D

To continue from viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7606

Sanjuro wrote:
Serendipitous wrote:
Sanjuro wrote:Oh heck yeah, and don't forget the audience! A few hairy beer bellies, handlebar mustaches, chicken bones flying at the track (not to be outdone by the crumpled Budweiser cans), Confederate flags, bleached trailer chicks with tar tanned smoker-lip wrinkles! THEN you'd have a NASCAR Race! 8)

That's just the Republicans. :evil:

Oh, you're no fun! :lol:

It really ain't yer daddy's NASCAR! Hmm... I wonder if we can find stats on the fans.
February 12th, 2008, 9:19 pm
Serendipitous

Serendipitous wrote:
It really ain't yer daddy's NASCAR! Hmm... I wonder if we can find stats on the fans.

Yeah, OK.. the fact you used "yer" in a typed sentence kinda proves that it IS. Be sure and leave no pig sty and tractor pull unturned in your hunt for stats.
February 12th, 2008, 9:24 pm
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:
Serendipitous wrote:

Yeah, OK.. the fact you used "yer" in a typed sentence kinda proves that it IS. Be sure and leave no pig sty and tractor pull unturned in your hunt for stats.

And umm, you can't type! Find yer typo in the quote above... :lol:

Seriously though, NASCAR is so much more diverse. Aside from their very own diversity program (see also Drive for Diversity). The fanbase has also appealed to a more diverse audience which I think is a direct result of marketing. In any case, NASCAR and the sponsors are getting what they want out of it. More viewers/visitors and more $$$.
February 12th, 2008, 9:41 pm
Serendipitous

Serendipitous wrote:
Seriously though, NASCAR is so much more diverse. Aside from their very own diversity program (see also Drive for Diversity). The fanbase has also appealed to a more diverse audience which I think is a direct result of marketing. In any case, NASCAR and the sponsors are getting what they want out of it. More viewers/visitors and more $$$.

Yeah good point. But really it's the fans that keep me away. You know I have even considered going to a race myself... if the circumstances were right. But geeze you just try timing their 'free soap day' on a race-day it actually rains! They do have those right? I mean, how else will the fans cleanse themselves for the upcoming year??

You're right on one count. The money is no laughing matter.. all those children's educations going to that one vacation bi-annually for the parents... 8) I mean it's not often you get an extra $24.95 to splurge after working at the ham cannery.
February 12th, 2008, 9:53 pm
Sanjuro

Sanjuro wrote:
Serendipitous wrote:

Yeah good point. But really it's the fans that keep me away. You know I have even considered going to a race myself... if the circumstances were right. But geeze you just try timing their 'free soap day' on a race-day it actually rains! They do have those right? I mean, how else will the fans cleanse themselves for the upcoming year??

You're right on one count. The money is no laughing mater.. all those children's educations going to that one vacation bi-annually for the parents... 8) I mean its not often you get an extra $24.95 to splurge after working at the ham cannery.

I am starting to scare myself here... I haven't read that book by L.D. Russell (religion/NASCAR), but the way I want to "defend" NASCAR could prolly look like some of the Xian posts in the Religion/Philosophy forum.

*goingtolaydown* :oops:
February 12th, 2008, 10:00 pm
Serendipitous

Sanjuro wrote:... you just try timing their 'free soap day' on a race-day it actually rains! They do have those right? I mean, how else will the fans cleanse themselves for the upcoming year??

You're right on one count. The money is no laughing matter.. all those children's educations going to that one vacation bi-annually for the parents... 8) I mean it's not often you get an extra $24.95 to splurge after working at the ham cannery.

Yer thinkin of yer daddy's NASCAR! Nowadays, it alternates from year to year. Free soap day and free teeth day (get replacements for the ones that fell out since the previous free teeth day). Some of the tracks do have "bring a wine snob to the race" day... that is more up your alley, right? :roll: I'll take you, and I promise it's not a ploy to get you to a track and kick yer ass! :twisted: :shock: :mrgreen:
February 13th, 2008, 12:16 am
Serendipitous

I occurs to me that if they could just figure out a way to get "Professional" Wrestling, deer hunting, and NASCAR to meet, one could obtain a redneck trifecta. The beer would flow freely, the trailers would aline... peace would spread across Walmart... you know... it would signal the second coming of Jeff Foxworthy...
February 13th, 2008, 6:55 am
Sanjuro

Wouldn't that be the third coming of Jeff Foxworthy? First was standup, second was that 5th grader crap... Hmmm, when you look at it that way, maybe it should really be THE COMING OF JEFF FOXWORTHY.

I understand folks who get into hunting, but that ain't my bag, baby!

WWE? I might watch on TV if you gave me the choice between watching "pro wrestling" or eating scrapple, but I wouldn't waste my own money to go see it live.
February 13th, 2008, 7:21 am
Serendipitous

If IIB can get sucked into racing, this could be his favorite driver.

jeff_gordon.gif
February 15th, 2008, 3:45 pm
Serendipitous

Return to Sports